Job interview does dont

I am applying for new job.
I know was a post while back about how you get time off to attend an interview.
am not sure how id do it.
anyway if I do at the interview is it ok to ask how much the pay is?
what the hours are likely to be?
also is it ok wear decent pair pants and a top . or would it be shirt tie etc. and what about a hi viz ?

also I am curious place I work for when I have nights out its £25 park where you can for free or pay parking out of that.
if I was with a decent company that pays for overnight parking at truckstops etc. would I still get £25 a night?

You will still get over night money as that’s for your welfare not parking if other than walk away
expect to do an assessment , driving and if C+E coupling as well
Clean good top and trousers also clean Hi viz , gloves and keep boots in car (see above)
Be honest as any bull if found out could cause you to lose job later
Good luck

Whenever I did that, I just took a day’s holiday. I guess you could also phone in sick.

They should tell you how much they will pay, but take it with a pinch of salt. They will be more likely to talk about weekly earnings than hourly. The hourly rate is likely to be not much more than the minimum wage (£7.83 per hour for ages 25 and over; £7.38 per hour for ages 21 to 24).

Dress code is clean and tidy. Some companies might want you to do a driving test, so be prepared for that, and brush up on driver’s hours regs.

From what I read on here, many companies don’t pay parking at all, and night-out money is variable. You need to weigh up all of this stuff before you quit where you are now.

First thing you should ask is about the pay,No point wasting their time and yours if it’s ■■■■.

last interview had ages ago fella said your paid 45 hours a week, no matter how many hours you do. some weeks your do 50 60 others would be 40. it all averages out over a year to 45 a week… got offered job but declined it. as heard most do 50 +week . get stopped an hour a day dinner which they don’t count . plus they count holidays at 40 hours a week. then bank holidays etc so you don’t really do short weeks to make up. its all a big con

The first thing is…

Ask about the money. The primary reason everyone goes to work is the pay packet.

If it’s crap money you can save everyone a wasted hour or two by walking out.

On the pay thing… You do need a bit of mental arithmetic.

If they say “We pay £550 a week,” you might think that’s OK, but if they expect 60 hour weeks, then that is only just over £9 per hour. If they start talking about “take-home pay”, you can assume that they are probably adding in allowances like night-out money.

edd1974:
also is it ok wear decent pair pants and a top . or would it be shirt tie etc. and what about a hi viz ?

also I am curious place I work for when I have nights out its £25 park where you can for free or pay parking out of that.
if I was with a decent company that pays for overnight parking at truckstops etc. would I still get £25 a night?

If the rate isn’t mentioned in the advert and they won’t discuss it until the interview then I can tell from you experience it’ll be crap pay, so don’t even bother wasting your time going. Any advert that mentions “competitive rates of pay” or words along those lines automatically translates to crap pay.

Any driving advert that states 40 or 45 hours is also a lie. Assume it will be 65 hours for the money stated and work backwards from there, you won’t go far wrong.

Simples.

How much per hour, is there overtime rate, is there a bank holiday rate,do you pay parking,what’s night out money, is there a minimum hours before overtime,

But if your going to drive a big shiny 600+HP motor none of the above applies.

biggriffin:

:smiley:

saucer of milk please

edd1974:

You need to ask what the pay is, what the hours are, if they pay for parking. Turn up in at least trousers, shirt and tie, I’ve known places where turning up in pants and a top will guarantee they’ll just say they’re not interested before they even interview you. Might be acceptable with small hauliers, more is expected at the more professional operations. Also have a shower and a shave and use some deodorant, you wouldn’t believe what Stig of the Dumps I’ve seen turn up for an interview.

Firm but not overly so handshake. Don’t fidget, sit smartly and upright, be confident, ask questions and reply to those asked like you’ve at least seen a primary school education and in English too, not your local council estate jabber and its “yes”, not “yeah”. Remember that the person who is actually interviewing you, which may not be the same person who is the one talking to you if there’s more than one in the room, may not be a driver and may not have anything to do with day to day dealings with drivers and are more likely to be management/office.

No doubt I’ll get the replies from the usual brigade saying all the above is a load of rubbish but all I’ll say is I’ve never failed to get a job I’ve ever gone to an interview for whether it be driving, office, engineering or technical.

biggriffin:
Simples.

How much per hour, is there overtime rate, is there a bank holiday rate,do you pay parking,what’s night out money, is there a minimum hours before overtime,

^^^^
This
Tree stump pulling horse power first, £’s later… :grimacing:
Also ask who’s paying for the nameplate and always…clean shorts/T shirt and black (must be black) trainers…no feet up on the desk either…

You already have a job so you want to make sure that whatever it is that makes you want to look elsewhere is better, you know what your issues are, you need to ask all of the questions that will determine whether the good things about your current job are at least matched and the bad things are better. Pay/ hours/ holidays/ night out money/ paid parking/ whatever

Know your own value, you know better than anyone else your strengths and weaknesses, if you want the job emphasise your strengths and cover your weaknesses.

Dress code, you wear what you wear, be yourself. Personally I’d sooner look like someone that knows what they’re doing around HGVs rather than someone after a job in the accounts department. Saw a chap turn up for an interview at my last place, wearing his Sunday best, looking like he was attending a funeral, he didn’t get the job. My interview there was on agency at the end of the day, so I was wearing my work clothes, it makes no difference to your questions and answers to theirs. My current job was offered whilst out in a vehicle, agency again, no interview, only question I had was whether there would be different rules being FT to agency.

If you believe in yourself then you can do the job, whatever the job, so the only things you need to find out is whether the job is right for you in your current circumstances.

edd1974:

I’d say book the day off as a holiday.

Interviews are a two way process,t hey are finding out about you, you are finding out about them so that includes wage structure, hours worked. As someone else said, it takes some thinking about, is it a flat rate, hourly rate, paid through breaks or not etc.

Clean and smart casual does for me, not bothered by suit and tie. Take hi viz and boots wit you in case you need to do an assessment

You night out money is for you, the company should pay parking, if they don’t then park anywhere you like that doesn’t cost you money.

Good luck with the interview

I wouldn’t do a driving assessment until I was 100% I wanted the job so make sure it’s a sit down discussion first.

Unless you don’t like your current employer, I don’t think it does you many favours in the workplace having assessments crop up on your drivers card. Certainly don’t phone in sick for this reason.

AndrewG:

biggriffin:
Simples.

^^^^
This
Tree stump pulling horse power first, £’s later… :grimacing:
Also ask who’s paying for the nameplate and always…clean shorts/T shirt and black (must be black) nice pair of new super Hampton boots…no feet up on the desk either…

Edit for correctness,when going for 600bhp+ job.

all good advice…just dress casually but neat and tidy…no need for a tie ( i only wear one to weddings and funerals anyway ) hi viz…boots and gloves…in case your required to pick up or drop a trailer as well as a driving assessment…if they say the average take home is £700 to £800 a week…thats the highest ever paid and will include nights out for that week, and holiday pay…just ask what the average week is, and if it includes weekends…a lot of firms are now starting drivers on a tuesday/wednesday, so they get the weekend covered on the cheap…all part of the salary…yours if you want it…i dont…so i tell them i wont work weekends, ask similar questions, and write a list if you want to…good luck

Rob K:

edd1974:

If the rate isn’t mentioned in the advert and they won’t discuss it until the interview then I can tell from you experience it’ll be crap pay, so don’t even bother wasting your time going. Any advert that mentions “competitive rates of pay” or words along those lines automatically translates to crap pay.

Any driving advert that states 40 or 45 hours is also a lie. Assume it will be 65 hours for the money stated and work backwards from there, you won’t go far wrong.

“Competitive rates of pay” , reed - bellow average, most big companies use this term and not only and they don’t pay much, saying like that looks nicer than putting crap rate and scare potential candidates straight away. All they do is selling you their big name for crap pay with illusional prospect of endless opportunities, because of their size. Small companies with crap pay may try to sell some kind of homey atmosphere mentioning that they do BBQs during summer and go out for beer couple of times per year. Can’t believe I sound so negative. :slight_smile:

Conor:

edd1974:

You need to ask what the pay is, what the hours are, if they pay for parking. Turn up in at least trousers, shirt and tie, I’ve known places where turning up in pants and a top will guarantee they’ll just say they’re not interested before they even interview you. Might be acceptable with small hauliers, more is expected at the more professional operations. Also have a shower and a shave and use some deodorant, you wouldn’t believe what Stig of the Dumps I’ve seen turn up for an interview.

Firm but not overly so handshake. Don’t fidget, sit smartly and upright, be confident, ask questions and reply to those asked like you’ve at least seen a primary school education and in English too, not your local council estate jabber and its “yes”, not “yeah”. Remember that the person who is actually interviewing you, which may not be the same person who is the one talking to you if there’s more than one in the room, may not be a driver and may not have anything to do with day to day dealings with drivers and are more likely to be management/office.

No doubt I’ll get the replies from the usual brigade saying all the above is a load of rubbish but all I’ll say is I’ve never failed to get a job I’ve ever gone to an interview for whether it be driving, office, engineering or technical.

What Conor said with a couple of modifications. I wouldn’t personally bother with the collar and tie these days, but I’d be presentable and clean, sorry if this sounds patronising but as a former TM and agency consultant I used to find BO, bad breath and dirty nails off-putting. I’d also be prepared and kitted out for an assessment; clean hi-viz, pair of clean safety boots or shoes, gloves. And do NOT, under any circumstances, forget your licence, DCPC card, digicard and any other stuff like that such as ADR, FLT. Nothing ■■■■■■ a potential employer off more than a candidate who is not prepared.

Further to the digicard; you should expect to use it and account to your current employer that you have used it because it will show up of course. A catch-22 situation I agree but unfortunately the law stands. And further to DCPC, you need to know if you’re getting paid for doing it.

Above all, be honest, both with the interviewer and with yourself. If you’re asked if you will tramp all week, for example, say yes if you will, no if you won’t. If you don’t know the answer to a question, say so and add the qualification that you’re willing to learn. Ask about pension provision, as I understand it all employers are now bound by law to offer one.