Jealousy

This thread reminds me of the most enjoyable job i ever had, seriously i mean that…working for Kwik Save, those smashing little supermarkets before Lidl/Aldi/Netto arrived.

Never had a single Gucci lorry on the fleet, mainly day cab 3 and 4 series Scannies, few Renault G Manager Thingies kept for the Frigoblock electric fridge trailers, one or two oddballs like a Roadtrain and the odd older Merc rest cab, the 1727 of which was one of the best tractor units of its time, every motor had windows all round for blind siding into the little stores.

As a result of having no lorry kudos there wasn’t a single big wagon glory boy on the job and they weren’t wanted by the drivers, nor by the management as it happens, no nights away, almost nobody carved the job up and the pay was better than most now and this was around 20 years ago.

We concentrated on earning a good wage, and for those of us who did you could still take a pride in doing your job well.

The only arguments about lorries were that some couldn’t manage the twin splitter in the Roadtrain so one of us would swap with quell the tears… :wink: others couldn’t cope with London 3 drops, so some of us would do them a favour swap our straight hit wherever (worth 9 hours) and do the London Leching Specials for them (worth 13 to 15 hours with a bit of ducking and diving)…we were kind like that… :smiling_imp:

Nothing changes… when my old man was allocated a C series ERF with a Rolls 290 in it (the rest of the fleet had 265’s), there were a few chins with gravel rash on - the irony being that dad was one of the top 5 plodders on the staff :smiley: :smiley:

years ago i worked in corby and the boss there had a penchant for buying tractor units from auction.One day he came back with a very nice ex macfarlen F10 , now at the time everybody had either a scania P92 or second hand P112, there was so much ■■■■■■■■ and grovelling over this F10 he ended up putting a very nice,not very old volvo into british steel corby as a shunter. he put it back into auction a few months later.

FarnboroughBoy11:
In this business MOSTdrivers are just too worried about what everyone else is doing, where they are going, what they are driving, what time they finished etc etc Instead of just coming in, doing what you gotta do and go home.

FTFY PAL :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: