Jackknife Myth.

Following on from another post, So, can some explain this myth? Since when on straight road will my artic jackknife if I break “to hard?”, seems to me there a lot of misinformed drivers out there telly stars included!
Modern trucks don’t jackknife on there own, I can only think of one major scenario were this is likely to happen, but hard braking? I don’t think so.

Why don’t they please explain

Dafman:

If you’ve been driving long enough, you should know.

weeto:

Dafman:

he never has a trailer on long enough to find out :stuck_out_tongue:

The result of standing on the anchors

bigtruck:

So, you were driving it then?

There does seem to be a massive increase in jack knifed lorries since the days of three line air, drums, linings and ratchet handbrakes.

We didn’t even have the little green lamp in those days and most jack knife incidents were probably caused by us forgetting to turn on the taps or closing the drain valves :stuck_out_tongue:

There does seem to be a massive increase in jack knifed lorries since the days of three line air, drums, linings and ratchet handbrakes.

We didn’t even have the little green lamp in those days and most jack knife incidents were probably caused by us forgetting to turn on the taps or closing the drain valves :stuck_out_tongue:

I only jackknife when I’m empty and it’s wet… But a bit of opposite lock always brings it back. They don’t call me drift king for nothing you know.

No I wasn’t

It’s not a myth, this happened to me on a straight road under moderate braking.

bigtruck:

and also the unit brake’s being slightly more effective than the trailer brake’s causing the trailer to “lean” against the unit, causing an unstable vehicle movment to become worse.

if you ever do a heavy emergency brake in your car, it’s squirm’s doesn’t it, it’s gonna worse in a heavier vehicle, and add a trailer in to the mix that’s hell of a lot heavier than the unit, even with all the abs and other aid’s in the world, once it start’s to go it’s gonna go.

philgor:

bigtruck:

and also the unit brake’s being slightly more effective than the trailer brake’s causing the trailer to “lean” against the unit, causing an unstable vehicle movment to become worse.

if you ever do a heavy emergency brake in your car, it’s squirm’s doesn’t it, it’s gonna worse in a heavier vehicle, and add a trailer in to the mix that’s hell of a lot heavier than the unit, even with all the abs and other aid’s in the world, once it start’s to go it’s gonna go.

Nicely explained

Harry Monk:

So, what year was the scania? Just a guess.

weeto:
Following on from another post, So, can some explain this myth? Since when on straight road will my artic jackknife if I break “to hard?”, seems to me there a lot of misinformed drivers out there telly stars included!
Modern trucks don’t jackknife on there own, I can only think of one major scenario were this is likely to happen, but hard braking? I don’t think so.

Trucks jacknife for allsorts of reasons. But the basics is the trailer pushes the tractor unit. Most trailers when laden are probably upwards of 3x the tractors weight . Even with ABS that still leaves a lot of scenarios where a jacknife can occur. Yes i’d say that hard braking is one of the reasons that a jacknife can occur. Not sure why you would think otherwise ?

weeto:

Why don’t you get yourself an artic perhaps not loaded that evenly heavier on the front say get her up to full steam on the limiter and then stand on them for all your worth, then come back and tell us that it’s a myth.

Both very good explanations

weeto:

Harry Monk:

So, what year was the scania? Just a guess.

It’s a Volvo.

gonzothejaffa1:

weeto:

Dafman:

he never has a trailer on long enough to find out :stuck_out_tongue:

I do like to get rid as soon as poss. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: