Investigation for not wearing a seat belt

Hi need a little help here guys , i been off work on holiday for the week and a letter arrived in the post this morning inviting me to a meeting on mon for a investigation for me not wearing a seat belt on the 18th of feb the letter was sent on the 25th so i just got it today , all i can think is they have checked the veichle after my shift and found the seat belt plugged in without out anyone in the cab if u no what i meen…
I must admit i probally dont wear my seat belt most days bust just a little on edge about this whole invistagation lark…
dont no what to say or do at the meeeting or what the likely outcome would be in the current job climate…

any help must apreciated thanks

Did you have the seatbelt going around the back of your seat and into the clip?

deny deny deny :wink:

i wear my seat belt 99% of the time, but sure enough that 1% a coordinator spots me on a duel carriageway without it - and also sure enough the wee weasel sticks in a form - just said wasn’t me gov i wear my seat belt all the time, see you tomorrow gov , never heard another word about it :laughing:

i may have done depends on the truck if its a volvo or scania on the volvo the seat belts are too tight so i plug them inn …

if its my word against theres they cant do much can they?

Heres what i’d say.
"As part of my daily checks which i carry out twice a day, Once when the vehicle is cold, and again when it is warm.
For example at the beginning and at the end of my shift.
As part of these checks i make sure the seat belts and buckles are in perfect working order. Leaving the seatbelt in the buckle will remind me and show anyone else that the seatbelt check has been carried out.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding, Now heres my invoice for attending today."

See loads of car drivers not wearing seat belts,especially in town centres.Can coach passengers get fined,if the police did a random check,and passengers were not wearing seat belts.?

thats good advice limeyphil :wink:

yes like the wording about checks will try that line… cant wait too see them argue that i should not pkug it in lol

tim williams:
See loads of car drivers not wearing seat belts,especially in town centres.Can coach passengers get fined,if the police did a random check,and passengers were not wearing seat belts.?

Coppers nowadays are so lazy, They wouldn’t bother walking up all those steps on a coach.

tim williams:

Yes everyone can now.
If they are under 14 then its the drivers responsibility and anyone over its there’s. If your 17+ you can be issued a £30 fixed penalty but anything with minors will be a summons to court.

limeyphil:
Heres what i’d say.
"As part of my daily checks which i carry out twice a day, Once when the vehicle is cold, and again when it is warm.
For example at the beginning and at the end of my shift.
As part of these checks i make sure the seat belts and buckles are in perfect working order. Leaving the seatbelt in the buckle will remind me and show anyone else that the seatbelt check has been carried out.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding, Now heres my invoice for attending today."

I like it :smiley: :smiley:

Also, by leaving the seatbelt in the ‘plugged in’ position, it reminds me, the next time I get in the truck, to do the ‘tug’ test on it to ensure that it will hold in the event of an incident occuring.
Also, the belt, when left like this allows for an easier examination of it’s general condition as more of the belt is visable.

dıɹʇ ʎɹǝʌǝ ʞɔıןɔ 'ʞɔnןɔ

Do as Limeyphil suggests and then remind these pillocks that we are all going to hell in a handcart, there is a worldwide recession, the banks are in meltdown and even you, the H&S brigade may be out of work by Christmas.

And you prats are wasting time on an investigation that would not stand up in a court :smiley:

bubsy06:
dıɹʇ ʎɹǝʌǝ ʞɔıןɔ 'ʞɔnןɔ

¡¡ ɥɐǝʎ ɥɐǝʎ

NikNik:

tim williams:

Yes everyone can now.
If they are under 14 then its the drivers responsibility and anyone over its there’s. If your 17+ you can be issued a £30 fixed penalty but anything with minors will be a summons to court.

I can’t find anywhere that says it is the driver of a coach’s responsibility ( how can the driver be expected to ensure all 50+ passengers are wearing them all the time! - It is the drivers responsibilty in a car and minibus I think. The following is a letter from the Department for Transport about it:-

To all holders of PSV O Licence

The purpose of this letter is to bring you up to date on changes in the seat belt wearing regulations that will apply in buses and coaches from 18 September 2006.

The Department consulted in September 2004 1 about the implementation of EC Directive 2003/20/EC, which includes requirements about the wearing of seat belts in buses and coaches.

The Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) (Amendment) Regulations 2006 - Statutory Instrument Number 2006/1892 2 will come into force on 18 September 2006.

There are a number of issues that affect bus and coach operators. The Regulations apply to all buses (including minibuses) and coaches having more than eight passenger seats - up until now the requirements for passengers to use rear seat belts where fitted has only applied in UK legislation in vehicles up to 2.54 tonnes unladen weight.

The new Regulations require seated rear passengers aged 14 years and above in a bus or coach to use a seat belt if one is installed. Earlier regulations already require drivers of any vehicle, including buses and coaches (and front passengers seated parallel to the driver) to use seat belts where fitted.

Other Regulations 3 shortly to be made deal with children in front seats. They make no major changes to the present rules in relation to buses and coaches. These now require that children under 3 years in a front seat (ie parallel to the driver) must use a baby seat/child seat. The adult belt will not do. Those 3 years and over must use an adult seat belt, or, if it is available for those under 135 cms in height, a child seat, booster seat, booster cushion as appropriate. The driver is responsible for making sure that children under 14 years of age in these seats use seat belts/child seats as required.

The Regulations also require that operators of buses and coaches where seat belts are fitted must take reasonable steps to notify passengers of the need to use seat belts by one or more of the following means-

(a) an official announcement, or an audio-visual presentation, made when the passenger joins the bus or within a reasonable time of his doing so;

(b) a sign prominently displayed at each passenger seat equipped with a seat belt.

An “official announcement” means an announcement by the driver of the bus, by a conductor or courier or by a person who is a group leader in relation to any group of persons who are passengers on the bus.

A sign that takes the form of a pictorial symbol must be in the form (shown at the end of this letter) depicting a white figure on a blue background. No size has been specified for signs or the pictogram, nor content for signs.

The requirement is to use at least one of the alternative notifications - for example, there would be no need to make announcements if signs have been displayed.

There is nothing in the Regulations that changes the existing rules for fitting seat belts. The seat belt wearing requirement can only apply where seat belts are already fitted.

The Regulations make it an offence if the operator fails to make the arrangements to give the appropriate notification. The penalty is a maximum fine of £2500.

The Regulations allow an exemption from seat belt wearing (where they are fitted) in vehicles used for local transport in urban and built up areas, or in which standing is allowed. The exemption for local transport applies so long as the entire route is in a “built-up” area. That is defined by reference to a “restricted road”. Restricted road has a specific meaning in law which is a road with street lights no more than 200 yards apart in England and Wales or 175 metres apart in Scotland. These are roads for which the normal speed limit is 30 mph.

The Regulations also apply the exemption to a vehicle which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of standing passengers and on which the operator permits standing.

The Directive requires Member States to require every seated passenger 3 years of age and over to use a seat belt (or, as appropriate, child restraint where available) where seat belts are fitted. However, the rear seat belt wearing Regulations only apply to passengers aged 14 years and above. We will have to re-consult on the issue of responsibility for children under 14 years before we can bring forward further Regulations to include them. You do not need to anticipate this further consultation because we will be meeting with bus and coach industry representatives and others before we issue a formal consultation. That will include proposals for consideration. Please note that whatever is decided about the responsibility for children under 14 years, the Regulations will not include a requirement for child restraints (ie baby seats, child seats, booster seats, booster cushions) to be supplied by an operator, driver or passenger.

Just say you got a touch of oil or coffee on it… washed it off and left the belt plugged in to allow it to dry quicker

MUCH MORE PLAUSABLE

Yep completly forgot about local bus services etc.
So if they ain’t built in then you don’t have to wear one, I’ve found this that states that seat belts must be fiited to coaches and minibuses since 2001.

rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/ … lt_law.htm

It really does all depend on what evidence they are able to provide to suggest you were not wearing the seatbelt. Remember it is against the law not to wear it, so if they can prove this you are on very dodgy ground, and could lead to dismissal for gross misconduct at a formal disciplinary hearing.

I invited one of my drivers to a disciplinary after he claimed never to smoke in the vehicle cab - after I told him he had been seen he admitted that he had - but that he didn’t normally. The fact is it is illegal and there was irrefutable evidence that he had been smoking at the time in question - he resigned the day before the formal disciplinary hearing.

dont like the fact of a gross misconduct hearing , i no its illegal but so is speeding and drivers have not been sacked for speeding on roads

if they have caught me with proof i will take a slap on the wrists dont want a sacking over this seems a bit exstreme,

Davey Boy:
‘…dont no what to say or do at the meeting…’

Maybe listen lots to what gets said: Reflect lots on your options & defer saying anything until you’ve had time to work on on anything required from you?

Innocent until proven otherwise - but perhaps don’t go giving them that proof (should it exist, etc)