I'm thinking of buying a Fire Engine!

I’m a semi retired HGV 1 driver.
I’m thinking of buying an old Fire Engine - just for the hell of it! Maybe take it to shows etc.
As I live on a farm, I have a place to keep it.
Can anyone enlighten me as to which legal hoops I have to jump through if I go ahead? Does anyone have experience of insuring such a beast just for pleasure purposes only? Would it be legal just to keep it behind a shed on the farm? etc etc.
I’d appreciate some advice… thanks

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29589&start=0

don’t know if the member (volvo fire) is still active but he may be able to help you in some way

No loopholes to worry about. Keep it where you like,no operating centre, either it stays as a fire engine, or you register it as a limousine. Either way you can’t use blues & twos of course. You could use it for hen parties or weddings too. Insurance is not a problem apparently, no goods in transit, just like a big car really.

invincible guy:
No loopholes to worry about. Keep it where you like,no operating centre, either it stays as a fire engine, or you register it as a limousine. Either way you can’t use blues & twos of course. You could use it for hen parties or weddings too. Insurance is not a problem apparently, no goods in transit, just like a big car really.

If you are using it for hen parties etc then that becomes HIRE & REWARD and technically it should be plated up as a private hire vehicle (if 8 passenger seats or less) and you should have the relevant badge from your local authority. Unless you are only doing work thats booked at least seven days (I think) in advance. However this is a very gray area simply because the lcoal authorities can’t be bothered with chasing down and licencing. But many of the limos you see going around, especially the big 12-20 seat ones are actually operating illegally because they are not registered.

The primary idea is to just have it to stave of my appetite for driving “big stuff” so effectively it would just be a hobby taking it to shows etc. However, the situation no doubt would crop up where someone asks me to use it for a kids party/trips or a stag “do” etc. so that’s the area which I need clarification. Is it black and white ie if I just drive it myself and park it up at shows thats OK but ANY variation on that requires a full blown licence, public liability insurance, private hire licence etc, even if its not a profit making business?

There is an exemption for pre-booked work I think it’s more than 7 days in advance but you would need to have it insured for hire and reward. But if you were operating under the exemption you would avoid the need for driver and vehicle private hire licensing. Be warned these vehicles do get pulled into the police/local authority sting points. When I was a taxi driver I was on my way into coventry (over the border) empty for a return and got pulled into one and there was one of those Hummers there having the book thrown at him. You have PM.