I Really Do Love The French

As many will be aware the French were planning to introduce an ECOTAXE on their National road network well after riots, demonstrations etc. etc. particularly in Brittany which is
Western France a hold has been put on the introduction of the ECOTAXE but. Someone decided the gantrys to utilise the ECOTAXE across various routes should be cut down and
this week trundling around Brittany each and every gantry I have passed has had Gendarmes either side of the road, protecting these gantrys. that’s French plod offering a 24/7
protection service. I do love the French don’t whinge and moan just get out and sort it, probably why French derv this week was a massive 85ppl. Vive La France.

Yes, apparently the whole Ecotax thing is going to have to be abandoned, French lorry drivers are just not going to put up with it, they have been ripping down the gantries for the last two or three weeks. It certainly puts us chinless Brits to shame.

If only this country wasn’t inhabited by mainly invertebrates. :wink:

Armagedon:
I do love the French don’t whinge and moan

Take away the whingeing and moaning and France would be a very quiet place! :wink:

so… everyone and their grandma is rallying for a road tax to be applied in the UK and then applaud the french for boicotting their road tax? :laughing:

milodon:
so… everyone and their grandma is rallying for a road tax to be applied in the UK and then applaud the french for boicotting their road tax? :laughing:

I thought we in the UK had been paying a road tax for years in the form of VED, just that it doesn’t get spent on the roads

milodon:

That about sums it up, nowt queer as folk. :laughing:

I can assure anyone that I have never been in favour of a UK toll. Indeed I am in favour of a payment for drivers who are obliged to come here about £100 per day would be about right, I
have never met a ‘foreign’ driver who considers the UK anything other than a joke, they come here because we buy so much and once again on this weeks load from France…
FRESH BOILED EGGS…we are a country that imports…FRESH BOILED EGGS. And as I have stated before a toll introduced in the UK would be paid by US and every other shopper,
Europe adds transport costs to those who require the transport which makes it’s way down to the final payer, US.

Fresh Boiled Eggs :astonished: :open_mouth:
I knew we where on a slippery slope years ago when I saw sausages and beans in the same tin can.

Missus has just bought two packs of pre-roasted jacket potatoes which are sitting in the freezer :open_mouth:
Think theres going to be a row when I try and explain it would be quicker to cook the bloody things from scratch (just out the ground) than have to defrost these and re-heat…probably leave it though its date night :wink:

Armagedon:
I can assure anyone that I have never been in favour of a UK toll. Indeed I am in favour of a payment for drivers who are obliged to come here about £100 per day would be about right,.

I’m sure it has been said on here a million times before, you can not have a tax that only concerns foreign vehicles. if they have to pay a hundred quid a day for merely being in the UK, so will all the british lorries.

I thought the point wasn’t that they were complaining about the tax rather that the French take no nonsense from their government. If groggy doesn’t like it they strike or similar. Where as if us Brits don’t like something we moan the do as we’re told

milodon:

Armagedon:
I can assure anyone that I have never been in favour of a UK toll. Indeed I am in favour of a payment for drivers who are obliged to come here about £100 per day would be about right,.

I’m sure it has been said on here a million times before, you can not have a tax that only concerns foreign vehicles. if they have to pay a hundred quid a day for merely being in the UK, so will all the british lorries.

If as is often quoted that because of EU law you cannot only tax foreigners can you explain how from the beginning of next year Germany is going to make all foreign cars pay a toll for using their autobahns and have stated that this does not break any EU laws. Personally I think the problem is that the UK does not have politicians who are up to the job and hide their failings by blaming it all on the EU

Armagedon:
As many will be aware the French were planning to introduce an ECOTAXE on their National road network well after riots, demonstrations etc. etc. particularly in Brittany which is
Western France a hold has been put on the introduction of the ECOTAXE but. Someone decided the gantrys to utilise the ECOTAXE across various routes should be cut down and
this week trundling around Brittany each and every gantry I have passed has had Gendarmes either side of the road, protecting these gantrys. that’s French plod offering a 24/7
protection service. I do love the French don’t whinge and moan just get out and sort it, probably why French derv this week was a massive 85ppl. Vive La France.

petty they werent so proactive in 1940 isnt it

Latique:

Armagedon:

petty they werent so proactive in 1940 isnt it
[/quote]
LOL the Vichy French were pretty proactive but then in 1940 they thought the Germans were going to win

Well the Germans did win just took till 2013 to do it. And the British have not been overly proactive to stop them could almost be classed as collaborators perhaps it’s time we formed
our own Resistance Movement.

mazzer:
If as is often quoted that because of EU law you cannot only tax foreigners can you explain how from the beginning of next year Germany is going to make all foreign cars pay a toll for using their autobahns and have stated that this does not break any EU laws. Personally I think the problem is that the UK does not have politicians who are up to the job and hide their failings by blaming it all on the EU

Germany: Newsroom
The issue of whether a toll imposed only on foreigners is compatible with European law has also played a role in the debate. EU Commissioner for Transport Siim Kallas recently announced that such a model could under certain conditions definitely be possible. It would conceivably involve initially imposing the toll for all drivers while at the same time lowering road tax for German drivers and thus relieving them of the burden of the toll.

not here or anywhere else did I find anything said about the toll for cars being started from next year. and as you can see from the deutschland.de quote, the toll would be imposed on all cars, but the german cars would (maybe) get relieved from the current road tax, which is perfectly legal. I highly doubt the lower road tax would be enough to cover the new toll for cars though.

The problem is not spineless British people it’s spineless British Government (Unless it is trampling on their own people, hard).
It was not THAT long ago that we had what was about the cheapest fuel in Europe and France had a law that restricted the amount of fuel you could enter their country with.
The chinless wonders could do that here but against the French■■? Fat chance!

This is what I wrote on the Euro Driving section of this site a couple of weeks ago and why the Bretons are so against it :

In which case they are breaking a treaty in Brittany ,as when Anne Duchess of Brittany married King Charles V111 of France ,it was declared that no resident of 22,29,35 and 56 would have to pay any taxes to travel in Brittany hence no toll roads.

milodon:

Armagedon:

so, why when we go to Belguim, we have to buy their road tax?

we already pay our road tax, and the belgian tax too, so, why can’t it be done in reverse?

they pay our tax when they come here