Hypothetical question

Too much spare time being on containers I know. I know a tanker has to display hazardous boards even when empty, but what if the tanker had broken down and was being recovered on a low loader, would the low loader need to display hazardous boards as well? Im thinking yes but I could be wrong.

Quite simply, yes, the recovering vehicle would have to conform with ADR regs. If the driver of the tanker was traveling in the cab of the recovery vehicle the driver of the recovery vehicle would not need ADR (always assuming that the driver of the tanker had an ADR cert in the first place).

Thought both drivers needed to be ADR trained, or is this only if double manned?

I’m pretty sure that technically the driver of a dangerous load dosen’t need to hold an ADR certificate at all, so long as he has a person, who does, accomany him and the vehicle and load at all times from consignee to consignor.

i dont know why but i seem to recall DD saying something about this not so long ago and if im remembering this right the recovery vehicle does not need to have plates showing. i may be wrong though.

i suppose if you look at it logically it would have to have plates showing as it would, in theory, be carrying a hazardous liquid.

no doubt dave will be along soon to clear it all up for us.

bugcos:
Too much spare time being on containers I know. I know a tanker has to display hazardous boards even when empty, but what if the tanker had broken down and was being recovered on a low loader, would the low loader need to display hazardous boards as well? Im thinking yes but I could be wrong.

Hi bugcos, hypothetical or not, we’d have to know why the tanker was on the low-loader in the first place, because if it’s being removed from the scene of an accident or breakdown then this applies:

ADR 1.1.3.1 Exemptions related to the nature of the transport operation
The provisions laid down in ADR do not apply to:

(d) the carriage undertaken by or under the supervision of the emergency services, insofar
as such carriage is necessary in relation to the emergency response, in particular carriage undertaken:

• by breakdown vehicles carrying vehicles which have been involved in accidents or have broken down and contain dangerous goods; or
  • to contain and recover the dangerous goods involved in an incident or accident and move them to a safe place;

At any time other than the above, ADR applies as normal.

Sorry bazfrombenidorm, but there is absolutely NO concept of a driver who holds ADR being able to ‘supervise’ a driver who does not hold an ADR when both people are in the same vehicle.

Double manning.
Both people need an ADR licence if both are to drive with an ADR regulated load on board.

The easiest way to think of this is to remember that if ADR applies, the person holding the steering wheel needs an ADR licence. :wink:

Thanks DD, didnt think that you could double man on 1 ADR license

bugcos:
Thanks DD, didnt think that you could double man on 1 ADR license

Hi bugcos, It’s the part that says ‘if both are to drive’ that counts.

For instance, you could be double manned and carrying an ADR regulated load, but if the person who doesn’t hold an ADR licence doesn’t do any driving, then he/she only needs an informal ADR ‘awareness’ and permission from the vehicle owner to be on board the vehicle to keep things legal. :smiley:

A few months back I had someone run in the back of me whilst I was carrying an ADR load…it basically smashed everything on the back of the trailer inc haz plate,numberplate,lights etc.
Truck and trailer was recovered and transported to one of our yards without Haz plates…dunno whether the recovery driver was ADR trained or not but the DGNs and TREM Cards were in MY cab when it was being transported as i was in no fit state to drive at the time and the rear suspension on the trailer was knackered too…i didn’t travel in the recovery vehicle either. :confused:

Hey ho, not often I’m right, but I’m wrong again. Useful bit of information to know though, cheers for clearing that up Dave.

bikemonkey:
A few months back I had someone run in the back of me whilst I was carrying an ADR load…it basically smashed everything on the back of the trailer inc haz plate,numberplate,lights etc.
Truck and trailer was recovered and transported to one of our yards without Haz plates…dunno whether the recovery driver was ADR trained or not but the DGNs and TREM Cards were in MY cab when it was being transported as i was in no fit state to drive at the time and the rear suspension on the trailer was knackered too…i didn’t travel in the recovery vehicle either. :confused:

Hi bikemonkey, That would be fine under the ‘recover from the scene of an accident’ above.

TBF, our police take a realistic and commonsense approach to this, so taking the vehicle back to your depot (if not unreasonably far away) would be fine.
If there were to be some problem, that would land on the recovery operator, rather than you or your boss. :smiley:

bazfrombenidorm:
Hey ho, not often I’m right, but I’m wrong again. Useful bit of information to know though, cheers for clearing that up Dave.

Hi bazfrombenidorm, No problem mate!!
That point isn’t normally covered on an ADR course, so you wouldn’t be the first to think in that way. :wink: :smiley: