How can the rates ever improve

FreddieSwan:

Rob K:

alix776:
Unfortunately many companies now will only pay £100 per shift and that’s to the agency round here

Sorry but I don’t believe that, unless the shifts are never longer than 8 hours. That’s the sort of tall story that the agencies want you to believe.

Quite an interesting point and speaking from an agency I have to disagree Rob.

Being new in the area I made a point of seeing all previously-supplied clients with rates set up between 09-10. One of which (general haulier) was on a pretty poor hourly rate (between £11-£12 - imagine the scope that gives me to pay drivers and make wa profit!), yet on visiting I was told the reason they haven’t been using is because their other agencies have agreed to a flat £120 day charge. If I were to pay £95.77, I break even. To make my desired margin, I have to pay £76.75.

I think you’ll agree it’s a ridiculous rate for a Class 2. So whatever your local agency may ‘want’ you to believe; there’s a legitimate example for you.

And here is the problem.
The End user will PAY £120 per day…So if the driver worked for them direct as a subbie he would be on a respectable rate…But theres YOU in the middle leeching off a big percentage if you can leaving him less than £77 , (you are just making your honest crust !!!). You are not NEEDED in the equation, But the world has become convinced by successive Govts. and political lobbyists etc etc that you are needed. YOU ARE OUR PROBLEM, you have convinced the bigger players in the industry that you can supply the labour force and they dont have to do anything. Hence you get to steal a portion of the wage pie !!!
With rose tinted glasses on …In the good old day in a transport office a young employee would phone around ex retired employees to fill shifts if desperate…now they call you …and you steal a percentage of the money.
Give me strength it is not rocket science…You are the problem.

But Personally …Well done …you make a living out of the middle because we are stupid enough to give you the oportunity. Thats OUR fault.
Serves us right !

Saaamon:

Rob K:
I’ll tell you what the problem is : It’s not the foreigners “stealing all our jobs”, it’s actually all these stupid newbies that are flooding the market. :angry:

What a load of crap! I think its probably quite refreshing for companies to take on people that can actually do the job without whinging or messing it up… The fact that not long after i started in driving, the company i was on for were handing me jobs that drivers with 10-15+ experience wernt able to do or wernt trusted to do speaks volumes…

It ■■■■■■ me off that a small minority of you so called experienced drivers try and put down those of us that havnt been doing it long, when actually your so [zb] useless at the job you cant even do a day in central london without throwing your toys out of the pram!

And the rate you’ve been doing all this hard graft Central London work for is… ?

Rob K:

alder:
You tell the agencies how much you charge and if they won’t accept your rates then you wish them a good day and go and find one that will, obviously first ensuring that your rates are not in la-la-land to begin with.

I tried that with 3 agencies and they all said “we pay x,y and z” take it or leave it!!! Just to clarify I tried £1, 50p and 25p on top of x, y and z.

In the end it’s say ok or go unemployed!!!

As my choice has ■■■■■■ things up for you maybe you should tell my wife and kids “sorry Daddy’s not working today because he’s holding out for more money so it’s Asda value beans on Tesco Low Cost Toast With Sainsbury Marg again!”

As it turns out quite a lot of local firms pay less than my agency so not sure how my working for an agency is lowering the rate of pay that firms are paying!

One more thing, i’m not going to go back to my mundane job (it was far from it as it so happens) but after 27 years in the Royal Navy, I’ve paid my dues to Queen and Country.

Rob K:

Saaamon:

Rob K:
I’ll tell you what the problem is : It’s not the foreigners “stealing all our jobs”, it’s actually all these stupid newbies that are flooding the market. :angry:

What a load of crap! I think its probably quite refreshing for companies to take on people that can actually do the job without whinging or messing it up… The fact that not long after i started in driving, the company i was on for were handing me jobs that drivers with 10-15+ experience wernt able to do or wernt trusted to do speaks volumes…

It ■■■■■■ me off that a small minority of you so called experienced drivers try and put down those of us that havnt been doing it long, when actually your so [zb] useless at the job you cant even do a day in central london without throwing your toys out of the pram!

And the rate you’ve been doing all this hard graft Central London work for is… ?

The rate i work for has nothing to do with you or anyone else, but is reasonable and we all earn the same… When i started my first job driving i was actually earning a grand a year more than all the other drivers :wink:

Have you ever thought that the poor rates for drivers may be down to the very poor profit margins that trucks achieve?
How can your gaffer makes a decent profit when he is paying the same price for fuel as joe blogs is in his car?
I think the only way driver rates will go up, is if the price of fuel for a truck is drastically reduced or rates go up.
But since the only action which is being done about it is moaning sod all will ever get done about it.
I don’t know how any one in the right mind would want to run a truck or trucks with the very poor rates that are being paid, and what they are paying out to get them poor rates.
Mile for mile, I can get a better profit margin out of a taxi, returning £1.50 per every mile done in a shift with minimal out goings, returns were approx £100 for every £10 put in the tank, have them sort of returns in a truck, then we would all be very well off, but will never happen.
Your all delusional if you think you can get a decent living wage out of this job with out taking some sort of direct action to get it!!

And just to add london is a walk in the park for any half decent driver…

“Supply and demand you say? GTFO please. If there was demand then the rates would be increasing or at least holding steady. As they’re not (and in fact heading south) then demand = 0, supply = too high.”

good to see you airing this. I’m sure we all try to be welcoming and helpful to new drivers but they are being lured in under false pretences. The Stobart TV show presents the job as being clean, pleasant, well organised, safe and respected and free from stress or management ■■■■■■■■■■. We know that, in most cases, the job is the opposite resulting in marital breakdown and parental absenteeism. Unfortunately the days of ‘closed shop’ have passed but we can try to show the true position before they make the major investment required to become qualified

Euro:
“Supply and demand you say? GTFO please. If there was demand then the rates would be increasing or at least holding steady. As they’re not (and in fact heading south) then demand = 0, supply = too high.”

good to see you airing this. I’m sure we all try to be welcoming and helpful to new drivers but they are being lured in under false pretences. The Stobart TV show presents the job as being clean, pleasant, well organised, safe and respected and free from stress or management ■■■■■■■■■■. We know that, in most cases, the job is the opposite resulting in marital breakdown and parental absenteeism. Unfortunately the days of ‘closed shop’ have passed but we can try to show the true position before they make the major investment required to become qualified

Agreed. Some of us try to tell them but unfortunately the forums are also infiltrated by driver training companies who have a strong vested interest in convincing them otherwise, so it falls on deaf ears and they carry on regardless, only to later post on here a few months down the line complaining that they’ve “wasted” 3k as they can’t get a job anywhere. :unamused:

Saaamon:

Rob K:

Saaamon:

Rob K:

The rate i work for has nothing to do with you or anyone else, but is reasonable and we all earn the same… When i started my first job driving i was actually earning a grand a year more than all the other drivers :wink:

Conveniently avoiding the question I see… Probably because it’s a mediocre rate (sub double figures/hr) and the experienced long-termers quite rightly tell the agency to GTFO or pay a decent rate. As is usually the case though, they will find some eager green guy with wet ink that’s willing to do it for the buttons they’re offering. :unamused:

Rob K:

alix776:
Unfortunately many companies now will only pay £100 per shift and that’s to the agency round here

Sorry but I don’t believe that, unless the shifts are never longer than 8 hours. That’s the sort of tall story that the agencies want you to believe.

Alix is right, and on nights as well. Based on a 10 hour shift although rarely working more than 9. (and thats S.E./umbrella rate)

Rob K:
Sorry, I misinterpreted Alix’s post before. What you both say does happen, I agree - and I’ve even experienced it myself - but there are also plenty of cases where agencies lie and telling you that x client “will only pay x so that’s all we can pay you” which I’ve known in at least one situation to be complete bollox.

Round these parts, Haulfast and Stobbard’s are 2 such companies which use the shift rate thing and as a result neither of them can get decent drivers because for the £105/shift the agencies offer (Haulfast) they make sure you do 3x 15s and 3x 13s, which works out not far above the national minimum wage. Plenty of newbies in there happy to do it though. :unamused:

Don’t disagree with this in the slightest. There is a lot of dishonesty and ill-practice, probably moreso than a lot of other industries. Just thought I’d provide some insight to demonstrate that quite frequently there are ridiculous client demands that an agency has to cut-rate to meet, often due to an alternative agency supplying at a lesser rate already.

Just trying to avoid generalisation, in the same way I would the North / South debate and with respect to your original topic of foreigners not being the sole problem in the driving industry.

3 wheeler:
And here is the problem.
The End user will PAY £120 per day…So if the driver worked for them direct as a subbie he would be on a respectable rate…But theres YOU in the middle leeching off a big percentage if you can leaving him less than £77 , (you are just making your honest crust !!!). You are not NEEDED in the equation, But the world has become convinced by successive Govts. and political lobbyists etc etc that you are needed. YOU ARE OUR PROBLEM, you have convinced the bigger players in the industry that you can supply the labour force and they dont have to do anything. Hence you get to steal a portion of the wage pie !!!
With rose tinted glasses on …In the good old day in a transport office a young employee would phone around ex retired employees to fill shifts if desperate…now they call you …and you steal a percentage of the money.
Give me strength it is not rocket science…You are the problem.

But Personally …Well done …you make a living out of the middle because we are stupid enough to give you the oportunity. Thats OUR fault.
Serves us right !

:unamused: I hope this doesn’t take the thread OT - you’re more than welcome to bash what I do for a living in another thread if you wish. Apologies in advance Rob.

The likelihood is that the end-user (excuse me if I refer to them as ‘client’) will pay £120 to a subbie / self-employed driver in the same way they would an agency. They certainly wouldn’t pay their own drivers that rate however as it would cost them somewhere in the region of £150 given the working time directive & National Insurance payments. Therefore they would need an existing ‘bank’ of self-employed drivers at their disposal.

Whilst I agree that a young lad could spend ~30-60 mins ringing the aforementioned list, just how many self-employed drivers (in some instances, retired), are going to pick up a phone at short-notice and go to work on demand? Theoretically, those like-minded drivers will have approached multiple companies across the county in the interest of working as a self-employed driver. Chances of them being available so frequently should really, be rather slim.

The client I referred to fluctuates from using no agency whatsoever, up to almost 20 in a given day. They also don’t know their requirements for the following day until late in the afternoon. I don’t think practicality serves for a young employee to ring a list of self-employed drivers at 4pm with speculative knowledge regarding their availability, especially when those drivers are consistently looking for work themselves. After all, that is the type of person that was in question - someone that knows their rate, demands it, and walks away if their rate isn’t met.

Objectively, I would always encourage people (industry is irrelevant) to approach employers direct. Infact the other night I posted on the newbies forum offering advice to a new-pass and don’t even think I mentioned agencies. Perhaps if drivers formed a union, presented themselves to employers and were all like-minded, you’d have some success in your ideology. Don’t allow just one person to represent it though; you might end up sounding like an agency. :laughing:

But personally, thank you. I got fed up of the boring repetition that is retail and was offered a role in recruitment when interviewing for a different role within retail still. My landlord certainly appreciates my full time employment status. Next time I plan on changing careers I’ll ask him if he can allow me to live there free of charge because I’ve taken to volunteering full time. :unamused:

If you want to blame anyone, blame the jobcentres.

If your on the dole and have a licence, then they will say, "here’s a driving job that pays £6.50 an hour.

You say “Not enough money”

They say “in that case your money is stopped!!!”

Ok, you say apply and then fail at the interview…well these companys at those rates will have a policy of “You have a licence and a pulse…start monday”

Its not always the newbies fault, but the system

Just to add, I hate working for poor money & have avoided doing so as much as possible but when there’s no other choice you just have to bend over sometimes.

Rob K:
If everyone stood their ground

Great idea! Everyone standing together, in union, one voice! This could have legs… :wink:

I’m a n00b and have yet to accept a crap pay rate. Maybe I just got lucky. Maybe if the insurance companies would scrap the two year experince rubbish and companies actually bothered to train people up we would have a better chance!?!

Rob K:

Saaamon:

Rob K:

Saaamon:

Rob K:

Conveniently avoiding the question I see… Probably because it’s a mediocre rate (sub double figures/hr) and the experienced long-termers quite rightly tell the agency to GTFO or pay a decent rate. As is usually the case though, they will find some eager green guy with wet ink that’s willing to do it for the buttons they’re offering. :unamused:

Some of us dont feel the need to shout about our wage… I have always earnt a reasonable wage and everytime ive moved ive always moved up the pay scale. As for agencies, i’ve never worked for one and certainly never been conned in to setting up as “freelance driver” look at me ive got my own business bull crap…

I maybe new to this robk and im far from experienced but i’ll tell you now ive never worked for the professional firms such as stobarts so we can chat all day long about what its like to work for ■■■■■■■■■ and dodgy ■■■■■ so dont give me that crap about being wet behind ears…

Hi all I work as a class 2 driver for quite a big company ive only been working there about 6 months and its my first driving job… and to be honest im quite shocked at the amount of drivers that smoke weed or do coke granted not many do it during work time

This type of thing will not help the situation, what amazes me who can afford coke on a drivers wages !!! :open_mouth:

JLS Driver SOS:
Hi all I work as a class 2 driver for quite a big company ive only been working there about 6 months and its my first driving job… and to be honest im quite shocked at the amount of drivers that smoke weed or do coke granted not many do it during work time

This type of thing will not help the situation, what amazes me who can afford coke on a drivers wages !!! :open_mouth:

Think you’re looking for Drugs and driving? - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK fella. :wink:

There’s clearly a conspiracy to hide the following statistics from the public:-

(1) How many drivers with less than 2 years or under age 25 are filling low-paid “vacancies”, and are then coming to grief?

We never hear about all the minor prangs and damage caused by this unspoken of group of drivers do we?

(2) Are insurance companies being constantly lied to, for hauliers to remain compliant?

(3) Is the the general creep towards “all drivers being self-employed on minimum wage” (which I think is illegal at present?) based on firms trying to evade insurance liabilities (ie their own higher premiums) by sub-contracting out the very cover that is only there to protect firms from being sued, rather than drivers from going to jail when someone gets hurt?

(4) How many “new recruits” are having prangs when they’ve got mobile devices with them, eating at the wheel because proper breaks are not provided, or palmed off with subtly un-roadworthy vehicles?

I suspect the public hate us, because they have the wrong idea who the bods causing the damage actually are among our number. The insurance companies don’t hate us, but should hate our fiddling yards, if only they were better informed. VOSA feel sorry for us, because they’ve been tasked with pulling us over, rather than their government paymasters driving posh cars through red lights, in bus lanes, etc.

Then there’s the few of us who’s families hate us, because we’re at work 84 hours a week for buttons. Not paying off the mortgage, and “never there” for the kids. No wonder the divorce rate is so high. One might even go as far to suggest that the divorce rate is what feeds the tramper demand - at least at non-rising wages… :frowning:

The daft thing about market forces is that when the upturn in the economy finally comes (ie unemployment drops below 1m)
one of the side effects we’ll see is a lot of hauliers and agencies going BUST at THAT time, because they’re so geared to a downswinging economy, that they don’t know how to shift gears to take advantage of the new big startup firms creaming off all the best drivers for their own, new operation.

I predict they’ll be looking at the firms currently paying the most rather than the least.
Those drivers working for the low payers might well be seen as “desperate” or “ignorant” or perhaps even “shifty” in the eyes of a new large outfit that wants to offer full time contracts - but only to those who don’t need to be trained much, just in the ways of corporate origami if you will.

I’m not just talking about clean licences and years of experience here - but the diversity of that experience, being able to speak and spell properly, and even dare I say, being able to take over an office manager’s role at the drop of a hat - should operational needs arise. A total “in house” firm if you like.

Back in 1986 I was working in the City, and Big Bang came along, swept up the key staff, merged the best companies into a few “too big to fail” companies, and shed everyone else. There were a lot of Irish working in the city at the beginning of 1986 for instance, but a whole lot less by the end of the same year.
You also noticed a large number of “stockbroker belt” personnel being put out to pasture at around the same time, whilst the “new kids on the block” came from the east end, complete with barrow-boy accents rather than public school…

Change cuts both ways. Many are destroyed on the way down, but even more are left behind (and therefore also destoyed!) on the way up. :wink: