Hotel cab delux

I wonder how many of todays drivers sleep across their seats. As a roamer I found it sometimes handy to do and I also got paid for doing so.Always used an all night cafe. Useful for breakfast and also a wash,but would I do it now ?. They were happy times though.

padgate fox:
I wonder how many of todays drivers sleep across their seats. As a roamer I found it sometimes handy to do and I also got paid for doing so.Always used an all night cafe. Useful for breakfast and also a wash,but would I do it now ?. They were happy times though.

Some of the zillions of 3.5T tilt drivers from Poland must do! Lots have sleeper pods, but not all

PADGATE FOX,Across the seats, sheer luxury, some may say here he goes again ,however , at times we used to sleep on the engine lump cover ,on old army coats and corn sacks in a BMC, or the old Austin with as many blankets you could have [you would not have brought any ]they were generally inherited on cattle haulage ,no such thing of using a plank across as I do not think that was thought of…or getting a swill in the morning with soap,it’s hard to believe but to get soap you would have had to take it from your bathroom at home and keep it in paper.no wipes ,or liquid soap…if fact no towels ,you would use your shirt. That all changed for me when I went to the B.R.S and found out about digs, beds ,dinners ,clean clothes ,I very rearely slept in a cab again until the crusades came out…

and just for the aficionados of sleeper cabs ,times we would sleep in the luton space ,used for the bales of straw you might have been given for in side the cattle box ,I kid you not .the floors were always covered in cow waste [■■■■] it was usually down at sheerness dock well after midnight ,where you had delivered a load of [barren cows for live export to BELGUIM, doubt there are many of us left who did it, I’m 74.and we would have had 7/6 ,7shillings 6pence night out money that was good for 1967.peggydeckboy

Late in my career I had a Sed. Atki, (no engine hump, double passenger seat ), well the passenger seat was ‘discarded’, a piece of sturdy board, a home-made mattress, and I had some great nights out, very comfortable. Pop the gear change into #2 gear and it was out of the way.

Blue line transport had day cab mercs the passenger seat was taken out board across floor foam fitted on it ,tramping out in it no night heater couldn’t do it now your truck be gv9 by dvsa ,

Used to own a day cab c series ERF which I brought to do local work with. I ended up doing long distance with it, I had just enough gap between the gear stick and the hand brake to lay on my side. I got a piece of foam to lie on, it did the job. I traded it in for a DAF 95 after 3 years wow I thought I was in heaven after the ERF!