Hi from another NOOB!

Hi,i’m Adam,hope everyones doing ok!

Been lurking around the board for a cpl of months after stumbling upon it whilst looking for tips on how to cope with the horror of an impending cat C practical! I most definitely wasn’t disappointed either,the amount of info i’ve found out on here has been a total godsend so i’d like to thank everyone who’s posted these pearls! :smiley:

I passed 2nd time lucky at the end of March,no thanks to the 2000 or so cyclists (tho it may have been 5 i’m not sure) who turned up to do the Tour de Guildford on both days of my test causing hesitation,hesitation and some hesitation. Scraped it with 6 minors tho,and as a lot of people have said,a pass is a pass right? :slight_smile:

I trained with GroupOne in Billingshurst and loved it (even tho the Iveco was rather grumpy of a morning!) but transferred my job up to Scotland before i could do my CPC Mod 4 and Case Studies so there’s been a lull whilst getting settled up here . I’ve got Case Studies booked for the 20th now and i’ve heard CTTS in Bathgate are a decent company so will hopefully get Mod 4 training with them or Ritchies in Glasgow soon. Then C+E awaits once i’ve got the cash together,shouldn’t be too many years away!

Once again thanks for all the brilliant tips and i’ve had a good few laughs reading through the boards and first job experiences too,hope i can add to them soon.

All the best,
Adam

Congratulations on the pass

hope everything works out for you in your new abode

all the best

Jen x

Thanks Jen, I will say the accom up here is a lot cheaper than eng and the views are a lot nicer (if you ignore the refinery at Grangemouth!). :wink:

Has anyone here had any Mod 4 training from Ritchies or CTTS previously?
I see Ritchies is on the rec’d list but CTTS is closer to me,it’s either or really.

Cheers

Adam,

No direct experience of Ritchies or CTTS but saw a few of the CTTS guys around the Livingston test centre when I was doing my training…trucks looked in decent nick and none of the trainees looked too unhappy! :laughing:

Peter

You could go visit them & see for your self see if you like there set up talk to them in person

My son moves to Edinburgh next mouth to start a new job ( not driving he not that daft :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ) has a flat over looking the Royal Yacht ( not seen it so dont know his girlfriend sorted out as she is at uni there ) & they found accommodation not that much different in price to here

animal:
You could go visit them & see for your self see if you like there set up talk to them in person

My son moves to Edinburgh next mouth to start a new job ( not driving he not that daft :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ) has a flat over looking the Royal Yacht ( not seen it so dont know his girlfriend sorted out as she is at uni there ) & they found accommodation not that much different in price to here

There’s a BIG difference in prices if your view options are Brittania or Grangemouth! :laughing: Central Edinburgh is relatively expensive but prices get a bit more sensible further out.

You’re not wrong Peter,a cpl miles out of the city and the rent practically halves!
At least we’ve got the Forth Bridge to look at out the other window once the charm of fuel tanks and smoke wears off :smiley:

Animal - Thanks for the advice,i’ll do a bit of digging round the training centres.Good luck to your son when he comes up,the accom sounds nice!

adi:
You’re not wrong Peter,a cpl miles out of the city and the rent practically halves!
At least we’ve got the Forth Bridge to look at out the other window once the charm of fuel tanks and smoke wears off :smiley:

Animal - Thanks for the advice,i’ll do a bit of digging round the training centres.Good luck to your son when he comes up,the accom sounds nice!

Thanks I am sure the will be fine as being going up there most weekends for last 2 years to see the girlfriend

I went to vist a couple of the local providers & have an assessment for CE although not done it as yet know who I will be going to ( lack of funds atm )

animal:
Thanks I am sure the will be fine as being going up there most weekends for last 2 years to see the girlfriend I went to vist a couple of the local providers & have an assessment for CE although not done it as yet know who I will be going to ( lack of funds atm

Hope the training goes well once you start, lack of funds is whats stopping me from taking up the C+E challenge too. I might try an assessment myself tho and get a feel for what’s ahead.

I know it’s worth it in the long run, but it ain’t alf dear starting out!

Hello, Adam,

Welcome to the forum. :smiley:

Hi there i am another newb on here just past c+e on wednesday done my c1, c, c+e and cpc with ctts had all instructors at one point or another and would recomend to anyone. Even phoned a couple of possible employers for me and got me application forms, as i am finding it hard to find a company that will take me on with no hgv experience. Have 8 years multidrop experience on vans but no one interested.

Hi Looney, congrats on your c+e pass!

Sorry to hear about the difficulty in finding someone to take you on, it’s a real catch-22 with the whole experience thing, i’m looking forward to the same probs once i’m CPC’d and i’ve not even had the van ex!

Had case studies today and failed by a point! Used drivingtheory4all for revision but most of the questions I had today weren’t even similar to what i’d practiced. Got it rebooked tho.

CTTS sound like a good company, especially for helping you out with getting in touch with prospectives!
I think i’ll go with them for mod 4 and once i’ve got the cash my c+e.

Have you applied to any agencies as well as employers or are you already on their books?

Cheers,
Adam

NOT APPLIED FOR ANY AGENCY YET JUST WENT ROUND CHAPPING AS MANY DOORS AS POSSIBLE AND SENDING AS MANY CV’S AS I CAN WAS HOPING TO GET INTO THE NEW CO OP AT NEWHOUSE BUT DONT SEEM TO BE ADVERTISING FOR DRIVERS YET WENT UP TO SEE THEM SAID THEY DONT OFFICIALLY OPEN TILL AUG SO TRY AGAIN THEN

Good luck for Aug, hopefully they’ll come good. Not started looking about myself yet tho i’ve seen in some other posts that Manpowers a half decent agency to try, mind nothings guaranteed unfortunately!

MANPOWER WHERE ADVERTISING TESCO LIVINGSTON IN THE RECORD YESTERDAY BUT THERES NOTHING ON THERE WEBSITE FOR IT. POLLOCKS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR TAKING ON NEW DRIVERS AND JBT

adi:
Has anyone here had any Mod 4 training from Ritchies or CTTS previously?
I see Ritchies is on the rec’d list but CTTS is closer to me,it’s either or really.

Cheers

Hi there and welcome to the Forum.

I did my Cat C training with Ritchies and highly recommend them. They have a fleet of Volvos which are in pretty good nick and nice to drive. Think they charge £895.00 for 5 days and test.

Regards

Craig

Thanks Craig, that sounds like a good deal for the training. I had my class C in March and it was 5 days with test for £1200 odd,not counting the re-test :cry:

Now i’m stuck again! 3 companies rec’d, def going to have to ring around and get more info!

looney:
NOT APPLIED FOR ANY AGENCY YET JUST WENT ROUND CHAPPING AS MANY DOORS AS POSSIBLE AND SENDING AS MANY CV’S AS I CAN WAS HOPING TO GET INTO THE NEW CO OP AT NEWHOUSE BUT DONT SEEM TO BE ADVERTISING FOR DRIVERS YET WENT UP TO SEE THEM SAID THEY DONT OFFICIALLY OPEN TILL AUG SO TRY AGAIN THEN

Please dont shout

The coop normally use agency not sure which 1 up there though ( but they have just relesed 15 of there drivers from down here )