HGV Road User Charge for Foreign Vehicles

Quinny:

Fergie47:
In Brittany, they had three gantrys ready for the euro tax. The Bretons burnt 2 down. They put a police guard on the third, they must have fallen asleep, because they zapped it as well… :wink:

Where was that?

Ken.

Have a read of this thread, though not updated with the last bit.

Denis F:

weeto:

Harry Monk:

trubster:
The £1000 per year charge will be discounted on UK VED so the UK hauliers will not pay any more than they do at the moment.

I’m not quite sure how that will work, my VED is only £700 per year.

April 2014 ved+road levy rates https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/256046/hgv-ved-april-2014.pdf

Great ! Looks like it’s going to cost me twice as much !

I’ve looked at the tables but no understand.
What will the new tax disc cost for a 2+2 artic currently paying £165?
Ta.

it will be £165 plus the pleasure of knowing the bloody foreigners have to pay to use the roads of britain, which is priceless. or about a grand, still worth it isnt it :laughing:

Quinny:

Fergie47:
In Brittany, they had three gantrys ready for the euro tax. The Bretons burnt 2 down. They put a police guard on the third, they must have fallen asleep, because they zapped it as well… :wink:

Where was that?

Ken.

There’s another thread somewhere back a bit ( I can’t find it ) showed actual video on U-tube of one getting burnt to the ground and falling across the dual carriage way… There was one near Brest, one near Pontivy, not sure where the third was…but there ain’t any now.

While they were at it (The Berit Rouge, or Red Berit ) had a go at a few speed traps as well… :smiley:

The Bretons, going back a few hundred years were given rights by one of the King Louis ( not sure which one, the 12th or 13th ) that they wouldn’t have to pay road taxes, that’s why there are no Autoroutes in Brittany, only Expressways. They considered this Eco tax a violation of their rights…so the zapped 'em… :wink:

They do get off their arses and do summit about things if they’re not happy, can’t knock them for it …

Well, it is a start to level the playing field. Will they enforce it sufficiently to make a difference though. An easy rule to enforce now, but largely ignored is the cabotage rule, evey port I go to, there are dozens of foreign trucks pulling trailers, on Friday there was a queue of 12-15 foreign units with me the only UK one at the gate.

All very nice putting rules in place, but they are useless unless enforced rigorously.

Its going to be a mess at home here at the border. My brother in law has lorry’s, he transits about 6-10 mile in northern Ireland, so he will have to pay the same cost for 6 mile has the fella doing a full day on UK roads

milkchurns:
Its going to be a mess at home here at the border. My brother in law has lorry’s, he transits about 6-10 mile in northern Ireland, so he will have to pay the same cost for 6 mile has the fella doing a full day on UK roads

Is northern Ireland included. They quite often have a few separate rules.
Might be worth checking.

limeyphil:
Is northern Ireland included.

Yes it is.

HGV Road User Levy Act 2013:
3 Roads to which this Act applies

(1)This Act applies to public roads in the United Kingdom.

Subject to subsection (2), it applies to all such roads.

(2)The Secretary of State may by order provide–

(a)that this Act does not apply to specified roads, or roads of a specified description, or

(b)that this Act applies only to specified roads, or roads of a specified description.

(3)An order under subsection (2) may not be made unless a draft of the statutory instrument containing it has been laid before the House of Commons and approved by a resolution of that House.

(4)In this section ““public road””–

(a)in England and Wales and Northern Ireland, means a road that is repairable at public expense;

(b)in Scotland, has the same meaning as in the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 (see section 151 of that Act).

wheelnutt:
Well, it is a start to level the playing field. Will they enforce it sufficiently to make a difference though. An easy rule to enforce now, but largely ignored is the cabotage rule, evey port I go to, there are dozens of foreign trucks pulling trailers, on Friday there was a queue of 12-15 foreign units with me the only UK one at the gate.

All very nice putting rules in place, but they are useless unless enforced rigorously.

I think I read that it will be enforced via anpr, charged when they enter the country, then if they over stay, they will get charged the extra when they leave.

donegaldaily.com/2014/02/24/ … ces-heard/

Irish truckers not happy

I think the UK is in a tight spot with the IRL situation.

In order to get this on the books, it has to be applied fairly, so everyone EU pays (not just “foreign” EU, that would be discriminatory), but the local tax adjusted to make it as near neutral as possible. IRL can’t and won’t get an exemption as far as I can see, as it’ll then favour one particular member state.

This new levy leaves the Irish in the boat the UK was in, namely vehicles from any member state not paying a fee to damage Irish roads.

The only way forward that I can see, is that Ireland reduces it’s motor tax rates on HGVs and introduce a similar charge to balance things up. More admin hassle all round.

macplaxton:
I think the UK is in a tight spot with the IRL situation.

In order to get this on the books, it has to be applied fairly, so everyone EU pays (not just “foreign” EU, that would be discriminatory), but the local tax adjusted to make it as near neutral as possible. IRL can’t and won’t get an exemption as far as I can see, as it’ll then favour one particular member state.

This new levy leaves the Irish in the boat the UK was in, namely vehicles from any member state not paying a fee to damage Irish roads.

The only way forward that I can see, is that Ireland reduces it’s motor tax rates on HGVs and introduce a similar charge to balance things up. More admin hassle all round.

Sorry I’m a month late here but I just think it’s mad I live in donegal and have to travel though the north to get to Dublin Cork etc which lots of hauliers have to everyday or a few times a day I just think it’s mad and don’t see how if will work up here, Unless we all put the trucks on northern plates.

The only thing I’ve seen since (haven’t been doing too much searching) was there might be a small concession with some corridor roads such as the A5 which pass in/out along the border being levy free.

The problem with putting a truck on NI plates is how it sits with the Revenue VRT rules about (Irish) state residents driving non-state vehicles. Something that has cropped up now and then with the EU Commision.

The HGV Road User Levy (Exemption of Specified Roads) Order 2014 (made 24th March 2014)

1. In England, the M6 Toll road.

2. In Northern Ireland–
(1) the A37; and
(2) the two sections of A3 to the west of Clones.

Having checked the map against the law, it seems as if you could also drive up and down the A37 between Limavady and Coleraine without paying the levy!

How to look a bell-end in the RDC waiting room…