HGV driving without sat-nav

With trucks heading in direction they are I think not being able to use a satnav is the least of his worries. Not far off point now where trucks have all digital screens. Both new Volvo and new DAF have two screens wrapped around you. And as others have said what about mirror cams. Sad to say but if it affects him badly I can’t see much of a future in this industry for him.

SteveO76:
He is also considering coach driving as the companies tend to have set routes.

I think you mean bus driving :wink:

ag1992:

Conor:

robroy:
Seriously mate, ffs :unamused:
How do you think we all managed before sat navs ? (which are a relatively new concept btw)

If you were being honest even you’d admit it was harder than it is today. Seeing as you clearly have an issue with long term memory I’m guessing you’ve forgotten about the joys of trying to drive through busy city centres with an A to Z in one hand trying to follow a route over multiple pages, often finding that changes brought out since the A to Z was printed meant the route you chosen was the wrong one, looking in the street index in the back and finding several roads with the same name and taking a pot luck guess at which one it was or trying to work out just where on the four mile long Geldered Road in Leeds a business was. And the joys of asking a local for directions only to find that what they gave you was fine for cars or walking but not lorries. Also the joys of driving down the road and coming across a closure because of an accident that had occurred earlier in the day where if you’d known about it ahead of time you could’ve gone a different way, for example going from Hull to Hemel Hempstead, the M1 being closed at Leicester so you could’ve take the A1 instead.

Sod that. I’ll take 2022 and Google Maps where I can type in the name of a business and the town and it’ll give me a route with voice prompts so I don’t even need to look at the screen and it’ll take into account problems en-route and suggest re-routes if necessary.\

You continue working harder fella, i’m sure someone will give you a nice shiny medal for it…oh wait they won’t. I’ll continue to work smart, having an easier less stressful time doing the job and making those who don’t use all the tools made available by progress look bad.

You forgot to mention being diverted because of a crash so getting 2 hours at home paid because your on salary whereas Billy satnav Mr 1950s is sat in the queue cause he knows all the roads. Ha

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Mmmmm…You haven’t thought that one through mate, deffo a flaw there.
If ‘Billy Sat nav Mr 1950s’‘’ (don’t get that one either, should it not be Billy Roadmap ’ :smiley: ) knows all the roads, he’d already be on the alternative route. :bulb:
Or if he’s a tramper on hourly pay, maybe he’d just sit in the jam anyway and get an extra 2 hours pay for sitting on his arse at the wheel listening to his radio.
Just saying like, …but carry on. :smiley:

switchlogic:
With trucks heading in direction they are I think not being able to use a satnav is the least of his worries. Not far off point now where trucks have all digital screens. Both new Volvo and new DAF have two screens wrapped around you. And as others have said what about mirror cams. Sad to say but if it affects him badly I can’t see much of a future in this industry for him.

Yep the new Mercs with mirrorless trucks have the same issue.
Everything including the headlights and airsuspension is controlled by one big touch screen.
Which was kinda funny at Tesco when they started to play up. Because although it was just a small issue with a screen the truck was not usable because we could not control the lights or anything.

Depending on the age of the car and the situation, I can see some lights flickering, but generally not. It’s a combination of stroboscopic effect, persistence of vision, visual perception, and lighting technology.

Had the mirror cameras actually had proper night vision capability (infra-red) then they would be useful, but it appears they are just normal cameras with the usual low light sensitivity problems (utterly useless). I hope to avoid these as long as possible.

Driving without sat nav seems to be a lost art. Most (all?) nav systems have voice prompts of varying degrees of usefulness, but there would still be the problem of needing to program the thing.

I can tell you with certainty that my sat nav has exactly all one-way systems pointing in the wrong direction. I even know why, but the nav developers will never correct it. :wink:

Well I will hold my hands up here. If my sat nav failed on me then I wouldnt like it, I have become quite reliant on inputting a post code and expecting to arrive where I should (mostly) Technology has improved and made our lives easier in many ways. We used to see telephone boxes every where, now we all use mobile phones, a sat nav is a piece of technology that I have embraced and is simpler to use to get about with.

Billy sat nav may have been given wrong post code one or two letters or numbers is enough ,they are only another string in the bow to getting somewhere …when I first started I used to ask all the time the only time I really got unstuck was when I asked a driver ( ha he said just follow me ) it was like following a funeral car ,being young I did not want to overtake him after about 40 mins I looked at my hand written tick only to find I was going to another job in nearly the opposite way :bulb:

“Can my brother walk, with no shoes on?”

Sat nav? Never used one yet!