HGV driving without sat-nav

robroy:
Seriously mate, ffs :unamused:
How do you think we all managed before sat navs ? (which are a relatively new concept btw)
True there are many plant pots out there who would go on the sick if their sat nav packed in, but I m sure he has a brain , so tell him to use a truckers bridge map,.and a bit of initiative.

Getting the vibes here you are on a wind up,.I really hope that things have not got that bad for somebody to have to ask that question but sadly I ain’t certain.

Look on the bright side I wouldn’t know how to use an I shift or a sat nav or a digi tacho.

Conor:

robroy:
How do you think we all managed before sat navs ? (which are a relatively new concept btw)

If you were being honest even you’d admit it was harder than it is today. Seeing as you clearly have an issue with long term memory I’m guessing you’ve forgotten about the joys of trying to drive through busy city centres with an A to Z in one hand trying to follow a route over multiple pages, often finding that changes brought out since the A to Z was printed meant the route you chosen was the wrong one, looking in the street index in the back and finding several roads with the same name and taking a pot luck guess at which one it was or trying to work out just where on the four mile long Geldered Road in Leeds a business was. And the joys of asking a local for directions only to find that what they gave you was fine for cars or walking but not lorries. Also the joys of driving down the road and coming across a closure because of an accident that had occurred earlier in the day where if you’d known about it ahead of time you could’ve gone a different way, for example going from Hull to Hemel Hempstead, the M1 being closed at Leicester so you could’ve take the A1 instead.

Sod that. I’ll take 2022 and Google Maps where I can type in the name of a business and the town and it’ll give me a route with voice prompts so I don’t even need to look at the screen and it’ll take into account problems en-route and suggest re-routes if necessary.\

You continue working harder fella, i’m sure someone will give you a nice shiny medal for it…oh wait they won’t. I’ll continue to work smart, having an easier less stressful time doing the job and making those who don’t use all the tools made available by progress look bad.

Tell you what Conor try responding to a post in a different way for a change, and cut down on the belligerence and patronising attitude…(fella :unamused: )

All you have done in an effort to come across with your usual air of superiority is to illustrate the answer to the (rhetorical) question I asked,.and missed the whole point in your efforts to put me down in your usual inimitable way.
Of course I remember all that, and at no point did I say it was easier, I merely answered the guy’s question, admittedly in a sarcastic way,.that the answer to it was YES.

Fyi I have used a sat nav (as a guide) for the last 15 or so years, and admittedly (again) I would not be without it, of course it’s ■■■■ easier.
Who knows…maybe one day I’ll become as clever and as good at the job as you continually tell us you are…although in life I have always found that self praise is no recommendation. :bulb:

Another thing I have discovered in life is…
Nobody LIKES a smart arse…food for thought…fella…

robroy:

Conor:

robroy:

If you were being honest even you’d admit it was harder than it is today. Seeing as you clearly have an issue with long term memory I’m guessing you’ve forgotten about the joys of trying to drive through busy city centres with an A to Z in one hand trying to follow a route over multiple pages, often finding that changes brought out since the A to Z was printed meant the route you chosen was the wrong one, looking in the street index in the back and finding several roads with the same name and taking a pot luck guess at which one it was or trying to work out just where on the four mile long Geldered Road in Leeds a business was. And the joys of asking a local for directions only to find that what they gave you was fine for cars or walking but not lorries. Also the joys of driving down the road and coming across a closure because of an accident that had occurred earlier in the day where if you’d known about it ahead of time you could’ve gone a different way, for example going from Hull to Hemel Hempstead, the M1 being closed at Leicester so you could’ve take the A1 instead.

Sod that. I’ll take 2022 and Google Maps where I can type in the name of a business and the town and it’ll give me a route with voice prompts so I don’t even need to look at the screen and it’ll take into account problems en-route and suggest re-routes if necessary.\

You continue working harder fella, i’m sure someone will give you a nice shiny medal for it…oh wait they won’t. I’ll continue to work smart, having an easier less stressful time doing the job and making those who don’t use all the tools made available by progress look bad.

Tell you what Conor try responding to a post in a different way for a change, and cut down on the belligerence and patronising attitude…(fella :unamused: )

All you have done in an effort to come across with your usual air of superiority is to illustrate the answer to the (rhetorical) question I asked,.and missed the whole point in your efforts to put me down in your usual inimitable way.
Of course I remember all that, and at no point did I say it was easier, I merely answered the guy’s question, admittedly in a sarcastic way,.that the answer to it was YES.

Fyi I have used a sat nav (as a guide) for the last 15 or so years, and admittedly (again) I would not be without it, of course it’s [zb] easier.
Who knows…maybe one day I’ll become as clever and as good at the job as you continually tell us you are…although in life I have always found that self praise is no recommendation. :bulb:

Another thing I have discovered in life is…
Nobody LIKES a smart arse…food for thought…fella…

Catch yourself on gob sheet

Na, don’t even know what that means.
Got a rough idea, but thanks anyway. :neutral_face:

SteveO76:
Hi,

I’m enquiring on behalf of my brother who has a medical condition in which he can’t use digital screens as it causes a condition called hemiplegic migraines.

He passed his HGV class 1 and class 2 over 3 years ago and never driven since.

He is looking to get into HGV driving but because of his condition he isn’t going to be able to use a sat-nav or other screen based technology.

Will he be able to do the job without relying on this technology? He’s good with maps and currently does well navigating as a taxi driver without using sat-navs.

Thanks for any input.

before sat navs the best possible directions where from your workmates, if somebody hadn’t been to a job nine times out of ten they would put you in the right direction …so dont be afraid to ask…

trevorking1964:
He needs to pick his job carefully is all.
Night trunking between hubs would work. Will be plenty of others. A bin round. Etc etc…

The trouble with night trunking,they close the motorways so much,you need to know the diversion routes

According to 99% of driver on here they only buy a sat nav for the traffic , so if you go by them he should be fine .

:blush: Just to get back to the o/p (if he IS being serious :unamused: )
, I ain’t a medical expert (no really I aint :smiley: ) and I ain’t familiar with this guy’s condition, but I do suffer from ‘‘normal’’ migraines from time to time ,.which are ■■■■ bad enough.
They too can be brought in by looking at a screen for too long (xhamster and the like :laughing: ) but unless you are some incompetent who needs constant guidance, you don’t actually sit staring at a sat nav, continuously or avidly, it’s a 2 second glance, at the most, and the thing is telling you what to do anyway… .so.I don’t really get this tbh.

robroy:
(fella :unamused: )

food for thought…fella…

Are you Ted Hastings :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=i35TeNu1gp4&t=87s

SteveO76:
Hi,

I’m enquiring on behalf of my brother who has a medical condition in which he can’t use digital screens as it causes a condition called hemiplegic migraines.

He passed his HGV class 1 and class 2 over 3 years ago and never driven since.

He is looking to get into HGV driving but because of his condition he isn’t going to be able to use a sat-nav or other screen based technology.

Will he be able to do the job without relying on this technology? He’s good with maps and currently does well navigating as a taxi driver without using sat-navs.

Thanks for any input.

Yes he will be able to do the job without a sat nav . Maps are still available , sat navs and phones with google maps /Apple maps etc make the job a lot easier from a route planning perspective but as others have said 20- 25 years ago we hadn’t got that sort of technology and somehow we managed . I’m sure you can still get Maps with bridge heights , A-Z maps are still available , expensive but worth it . I’ve stopped using them as I work with google maps and a Garmin DEZL sat nav but the big Phillips bridge heights map and a couple of other route planning maps are still kept within easy reach if the tech throws a wobbly

Thanks for your responses. After discussing what you guys have said I’ve helped my brother apply for some local driving jobs, one with a bakery and one with a dairy company.

He is also considering coach driving as the companies tend to have set routes. I’ve also set him up with Google maps where he can talk to the app and receive directions through his Bluetooth headset.

For the guy(s) thinking this isn’t a legitimate question: my brother’s migraines are so severe that he initially had his licence revoked. His consultant fought for it back for him as he doesn’t pose a danger as long as he keeps away from digital screens. Hemiplegic migraines, his medical condition, are rare sort of migraines which mimic stroke symptoms. The last one my brother had he had to be blue lighted into hospital by paramedics. I’m trying anything I can to help my brother because he is an intelligent lad who was actually training to be a doctor before he got diagnosed with this stupid condition. All he wants to do is work to make a decent living to keep a roof over his head and food in his belly. I wouldn’t waste people’s, or my own time, asking good people for their advice for some malicious reason.

Cheers,
Steve

Some companies don’t allow Sat navs.

Good luck to him with his job search.

Terry T:

robroy:
(fella :unamused: )

food for thought…fella…

Are you Ted Hastings :smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=i35TeNu1gp4&t=87s

Nah I was referring to Conor’s terminology,.I think he’s the one who is obsessed with …bent coppers. :laughing:

SteveO76:
Thanks for your responses. After discussing what you guys have said I’ve helped my brother apply for some local driving jobs, one with a bakery and one with a dairy company.

He is also considering coach driving as the companies tend to have set routes. I’ve also set him up with Google maps where he can talk to the app and receive directions through his Bluetooth headset.

For the guy(s) thinking this isn’t a legitimate question: my brother’s migraines are so severe that he initially had his licence revoked. His consultant fought for it back for him as he doesn’t pose a danger as long as he keeps away from digital screens. Hemiplegic migraines, his medical condition, are rare sort of migraines which mimic stroke symptoms. The last one my brother had he had to be blue lighted into hospital by paramedics. I’m trying anything I can to help my brother because he is an intelligent lad who was actually training to be a doctor before he got diagnosed with this stupid condition. All he wants to do is work to make a decent living to keep a roof over his head and food in his belly. I wouldn’t waste people’s, or my own time, asking good people for their advice for some malicious reason.

Cheers,
Steve

Ok mate my apologies for coming over a bit strong.
I stand by my point that if it came down to it anybody with a brain can do this job without a sat nav,.we all did once over, and a couple of years ago I ran for about 6 weeks without one when my standard car one packed in,.and with no drama or issues, but I also admit the obvious that the job became easier when they came out, it’s the way people use them that make them and the sat nav a liability…ie totally relying on them.

Ignoring the sat nav issue for a minute, …as for your brother he has my sympathy and empathy being a life long migraine sufferer myself, and if his condition is much worse than a ‘standard’ migraine it must be hell.

Not wishing to piddle on anyone’s parade here, but as everything gets more techy by the week these bloody screens are multiplying.

Not sure your brother will be able to avoid the things in our industry or in coach driving, you can’t drive 10 minutes without coming up to one of those advertising screens bright enough to illuminate half the town which leaves whatever tiny bit of night vision you might still have utterly ruined, plus thousands of street lights and shop signs etc.
That’s without the shift to in cab all round camera monitoring screens, which even in darkness you’d be unwise to switch off in London area (this will spread) despite the bloody thing making seeing out past it very difficult :unamused: .

What about the huge shift to LED lights, they all flicker constantly.
Can only imagine all of this will get worse for him.

I can see the rear led light flicker of some cars but it doesn’t affect me as such, i know others can too and some people can’t, don’t ask me why this is.

A milk run might be quite appropriate in the circumstances. These sort of runs, I imagine you would be shown the run for a couple of days and go from there. Another one that might be okay is the bin lorries. There may be some screen work involved, but there would always be a crew that a) know the run themselves b) could operate the screen for your brother.

Aye, the good old satnav, if relied on 100% by lemmings then the result is all the well documented disasters making truckers out to be the laughing stock.

robroy:
True there are many plant pots out there who would go on the sick if their sat nav packed in, but I m sure he has a brain , so tell him to use a truckers bridge map,.and a bit of initiative.

Getting the vibes here you are on a wind up,.I really hope that things have not got that bad for somebody to have to ask that question but sadly I ain’t certain.

I’m sorry, are you saying people got into a truck and went more than 10 feet forward without a satnav?
Stop talking about your ■■■.

Conor:

robroy:

You forgot to mention being diverted because of a crash so getting 2 hours at home paid because your on salary whereas Billy satnav Mr 1950s is sat in the queue cause he knows all the roads. Ha

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

If the condition is triggered by “digital screens” he’s likely to have problems with the majority of recent lorries, as they all use them (some more than others) in their dashboard displays and the latest models are now coming equipped with rear view “mirrors” that use them.
[edit]

Also to add, he may well have had his standard car-driving licence revoked and reinstated, but LGV medical restrictions/requirements are much more stringent.