Hewson Brothers Howden

Ringrose:
Good to see those Hewson Brothers Transconti’s again, thanks for putting them on the Hewson thread Kev. :smiley:

I shall send you a request to your Delhi site, will you accept it?

Back in the UK for now, so send through to my other email address.Will send it via pm if required.

hi johny ,i worked at harpers in the mid 80s started in 85 a few months after passing my class 1(my first artic job),all the drivers in those days where proper old school drivers icluding your dad, very busy running out of howden dyke in those days too, all the drivers were worked hard as i remember,hard days good guys great memorys

hi stutan. i was shunting for sharper by harper in the 80s i must know you. and yes was hard work and some cold winters down there good to see them photos again. regards johnyrose63 :slight_smile:

Hi all, I have just joined this forum, couldn’t resist posting as i also started my driving career at " sharper by harper" in early 1985, and now work for H B Holt and Sons. great to see some pics of the f7’s and f10’s of Neil Pickerings. His Dad was a top bloke,they both taught me a lot. Ken always had some pack up left later in the day, curd cheesecake was a particular favourite of mine.(cheers Ken, sadly no longer with us)

garouseman:
Hi all, I have just joined this forum, couldn’t resist posting as i also started my driving career at " sharper by harper" in early 1985, and now work for H B Holt and Sons. great to see some pics of the f7’s and f10’s of Neil Pickerings. His Dad was a top bloke,they both taught me a lot. Ken always had some pack up left later in the day, curd cheesecake was a particular favourite of mine.(cheers Ken, sadly no longer with us)

He wasn’t a bad old stick most of the time, but he had his opinions about folks :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but at least you knew where you stood. :smiley:

garouseman:
True, but at least you knew where you stood. :smiley:

Here’s Ken Pickering

Here is Young Ed

And here he is again in his booster seat :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice one Wheel Nut, that has given me a good laugh this evening.

Wheel Nut:

steady:
Malc
Didn’t they call the folks that had the bike shop Head, can’t remember the Dads name but think the son was called Mike, have not seen him about for ages but was running a driving school a few years ago. Always remember drooling over the Malugutti mopeds they had in shop when I was about 15 in 1977 bloody hell time goes quick.

I got the same answer about Mike Head from Cush Cowling today,so cheers for confirming it Andy. I will have to search some old race programmes for his name, he used to race with Conways mate from Manchester if I remember rightly.

Is was Granville head I worked with him when he was driving at don Whittaker in 80,s

Top bunk:

Wheel Nut:

steady:
Malc
Didn’t they call the folks that had the bike shop Head, can’t remember the Dads name but think the son was called Mike, have not seen him about for ages but was running a driving school a few years ago. Always remember drooling over the Malugutti mopeds they had in shop when I was about 15 in 1977 bloody hell time goes quick.

I got the same answer about Mike Head from Cush Cowling today,so cheers for confirming it Andy. I will have to search some old race programmes for his name, he used to race with Conways mate from Manchester if I remember rightly.

Is was Granville head I worked with him when he was driving at don Whittaker in 80,s

Cheers Top Bunk :stuck_out_tongue:

Back to the record books.

Hi there,
Just found this website, wow this brings back memories.
One of my favourites was Hewson Brothers who ran from Howden in East Yorkshire.
Does anyone have any pictures of their red and White Ford Transcontinentals ? They ran down to Italy carring cured animal hides
Or even earlier their red and white F88’s when Bullens bought them from the actual Hewson Brothers ?
Oh if only I had used my camera more often.
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks.
Bryan

Ringrose:
Hi there,
Just found this website, wow this brings back memories.
One of my favourites was Hewson Brothers who ran from Howden in East Yorkshire.
Does anyone have any pictures of their red and White Ford Transcontinentals ? They ran down to Italy carring cured animal hides
Or even earlier their red and white F88’s when Bullens bought them from the actual Hewson Brothers ?
Oh if only I had used my camera more often.
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks.
Bryan

Hiya mate.
I was interested in your user name. Are you from Howden. You may be aware of Ringrose Transport that ran from Hailgate.

As well as Hewson, do a search for Bullens, Ellerpack, Harrison and Bellgate, there are lots of mentions among that of the drivers.

Sorry I’ve no photos but I do remember Hewsons and Ringrose from wayback in the 60s and 70s.I’m sure there was a timber merchant as well from Howden with green wagons,they had some Scania-Vabis - or maybe they were Ringrose :unamused: Memories going. :slight_smile:

Chris Webb:
Sorry I’ve no photos but I do remember Hewsons and Ringrose from wayback in the 60s and 70s.I’m sure there was a timber merchant as well from Howden with green wagons,they had some Scania-Vabis - or maybe they were Ringrose :unamused: Memories going. :slight_smile:

Ringroses did a lot of timber haulage from Breighton, Goole and Howdendyke Chris.

You are thinking about Eric Bulliment with the Scania Vabis and later Scanias. Eric also had an office next to the Earl de Grey in Hull. Before he retired he was pulling trailers out of Hygena Kitchens at Howden.

Another company you may remember is Harpers, their company motto was dreamt up by a driver nicknamed Flash, they ran a lot of Volvo, F86, F7 and later a few F10 with steel & timber from Howdendyke.

“It’s sharper by Harper” aye, but “it’s faster with Flash”

That’s him Malc,Bulliment.I got a lift from the Oakamoor to Woodhall in one of their Scania-Vabis and was suitably impressed having just got out of my AEC MK3. :smiley: It would be around 1970.
I remember Harpers as well and I’ve heard of the Earl de Grey but never went in - a bit of a reputation as I recall.

Chris Webb:
That’s him Malc,Bulliment.I got a lift from the Oakamoor to Woodhall in one of their Scania-Vabis and was suitably impressed having just got out of my AEC MK3. :smiley: It would be around 1970.
I remember Harpers as well and I’ve heard of the Earl de Grey but never went in - a bit of a reputation as I recall.

The Earl de Grey was famous for ladies, :wink: :wink: and a few drivers parked around the pub for extra security :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:

The Earl de Grey was famous for ladies, :wink: :wink: and a few drivers parked around the pub for extra security :stuck_out_tongue:

Whilst we are in the area Malc who was the haulier in Newport(or was it Gilberdyke) left hand side of A63 coming towards Goole.They ran some big motors,F88s and maybe 89s.

Chris Webb:

Wheel Nut:

Chris Webb:

Whilst we are in the area Malc who was the haulier in Newport(or was it Gilberdyke) left hand side of A63 coming towards Goole.They ran some big motors,F88s and maybe 89s.

There was Holts of Newport who ran Silver Scania, Volvo F88 and Scammell Crusaders, previously they had used Atkinson Borderers in Flame Red. normally on IFF boxes or Timber and Tractors for Massey Ferguson.

That’s them,Holts. Thanks for that Malc.I suppose a lot of these firms have “pulled t’pin”?