Help!!

hi folks
I’ve been toying with the idea of putting my own motor on the road and while this place has been very helpful in finding out various bits and bobs, i can’t find anywhere that offers curtain side work. seems every thing is all about the containers.
so does anyone have any ideas where to look? also if anyone wants to fling advice my way I’d be very grateful :smiley:

Pingu

the most common piece of advice you will get from here is ‘don’t bother’

there is a company called Barron Wood Distribution that run subbies on curtainsider work

some make decent money doing it through them, others don’t

Haha thought that might be said. Thanks very much mate

shuttlespanker:
the most common piece of advice you will get from here is ‘don’t bother’

Reading the OP it seems that advice had already been taken :unamused:

There’s adverts in the back of the magazines from companies offering work in all areas for all types of trailers, except maybe car transporters and tankers. Now I’m not suggesting that anyone could earn money from this advertised work, but it’s out there :open_mouth:

There used to be a bloke on these forums, his name escapes me, but he was pulling curtainsiders for a firm in the south west, Hank, Henry or Harold something I think :laughing: He was getting plenty of work anyway and said he would recommend the company he subcontracted to, the rates were similar to container work, so with the right lorry and business model it could be a way to get started :bulb:

if you are talking about the company with the excrement coloured lorries, then their payment terms are a killer before anyone starts on there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

i know a couple of others on there, they say the rates are good, but they are on 60 days month end payment :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Any body have any feedback on a Dutch firm looking for subbies on here recently ?the name escapes me but they were Rotterdam based i think ,yellow livery 200 trucks of there own,maybe three weeks ago or more.

Barrow wood ltd pay about £1.44 Per mile and the work is clean and quick loading and unloading,about 12 or more ratchet straps needed for the job.

Maritime have curtain work or Uki express or Rosewood trucking.

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks folks. It’s all a good home work. Your all stars :smiley:

Gregory distribution at Cullumpton and North Tawton in Devon and Harry Monk pulls for them.

toby1234abc:
Barrow wood ltd pay about £1.44 Per mile and the work is clean and quick loading and unloading,about 12 or more ratchet straps needed for the job.

You wont become rich on those figures and is it 12months of the year ?
Their trailer and do you pay for using it ?, and tyres , whats the score on them, because a lot of younger lads wont think to ask, and anyone on here making a reasonable living from them I dont think its enough and payment terms any ideas ? As most lads cannot bankrole 2 or 3 months fuel .

Not that I will ever drive again but just asking for others who may want to make that huge leap into being an owner driver.

Barronwood offer trailer hire was 100 quid a week in 2011. Dont know if its still the same but theu used to do a lot of work moving marley tiles products and is generaly all full weight.
Payment terms were and i guess still weekly.
IMHO them gregorys ferry trailers and containers may be a way in to owner driving/haulage but as a viable business in the medium to long term is a waste of time you will earn no more than a driving job at best.

Weekly pay, there’s a warning sign right there!

The prestige of having your own truck outweighs the risk surely?

Barronwood - as has been said already you will run at max weight for them 99% of time.

We do the odd bit for them and our usual work is quite light but by god you see the mpg drop with their work but we keep doing it and our place isn’t adverse to running back empty if it ain’t worth the hassle of loading a crap paying job.

Bw load tiles from Marley at Keele and no over night parking on the road to the entrance or by the clay quarry as that is a private road and as said heavy loads and security will not let you leave site untill you hace secured the load.Open at 6,30 am start loading at 7 am.Bw do timber out of Durham too.