Help needed please

chris:
Sorry if this is wrong but obviously we dont do night’s out, but i thought drivers who have the same truck everyday and do night’s out would:

Insert card at start of shift and obviously do all your bitz n bobz but at end of shift (start of night out) just change mode to REST for 11 hours or 9 whatever and then in the morning (after night out) just change mode to
CROSSED HAMMERS while your doing your walk round and then start your day’s driving.

Also if you completed 5 or 6 shifts as above and got weekended somewhere would’nt you just change mode to REST for 45 hours or 24 you get my drift :laughing:

So what i’m basically saying is the only reason to take card out is for:

1-change of vehicle
2-ministry check
3-download card

is what i’ve just written a load of [zb] or what? :sunglasses:

In theory, you’re entirely right. with the addition of using the menus to mark the end country and start country for each shift. In practice, when I did this, the tacho started giving errors. So I eject it most (but not all) nights.

allikat:

chris:
Sorry if this is wrong but obviously we dont do night’s out, but i thought drivers who have the same truck everyday and do night’s out would:

Insert card at start of shift and obviously do all your bitz n bobz but at end of shift (start of night out) just change mode to REST for 11 hours or 9 whatever and then in the morning (after night out) just change mode to
CROSSED HAMMERS while your doing your walk round and then start your day’s driving.

Also if you completed 5 or 6 shifts as above and got weekended somewhere would’nt you just change mode to REST for 45 hours or 24 you get my drift :laughing:

So what i’m basically saying is the only reason to take card out is for:

1-change of vehicle
2-ministry check
3-download card

is what i’ve just written a load of [zb] or what? :sunglasses:

In theory, you’re entirely right. with the addition of using the menus to mark the end country and start country for each shift. In practice, when I did this, the tacho started giving errors. So I eject it most (but not all) nights.

sorry tyler bit off subject but…Allikat as you prob. know already if your card is malfunctioning you can get a new one free but if you lose or damage it you have to buy the [zb]

anyway tyler i would leave your card in and just change the mode accordingly :laughing:

allikat:
It’s 3x9 hour rests, and 2x10 hour drives you can have each working week. At least it was last I looked.

Not quite. It is 2x10 hour drives in each fixed week - 00:00 hours Monday - 24:00 Sunday. However it is 3x9 hour reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods. Depending how your weekly rest periods fall it is possible to legally have six reductions in the fixed week.

chris:

That’s what I do when on a night out, with the addition of going into the menu and entering finish country when I switch it to record the daily rest period and start country when I begin work the next day.

there you go tyler! you got the answer from the horse’s mouth :laughing:

just be careful sticking it on POA for extended periods of time, because for some reason it will keep counting down other hours and you could end up starting a 2nd 4.5hr driving period sooner than you think.

simple card procedure.

1. get in cab
  2. put keys in ignition and turn power on, (but don`t run the engine)
  3. stick card in slot, or press and hold driver1 button to open tray, then stick card in.
  4. wait several seconds… youll see either a dotted bar, or an egg timer symbols. dont worry its just checking the card
  5. you`ll see it display your surname
  6. then you`ll see it display START COUNTRY … usually UK
  7. press OK or the arrow down button (usually the RH 1 of the 4) if its displaying UK location,otherwise use the up/down arrows or the up/down on the round button
  8. it will also display start time at some point… press OK
  9. using driver button1 …stick it on crossed hammers
  10. start doing your pre-shift vehicle checks as normal. Then drive

Remember however to press the down part of the round button, or the return key symbol every hour or so, so you can see you acumilated driving time for that 4.5hr period

I hope tyler get’s to read all this,

good point pierre i forgot about the POA default :blush:

Basically tyler there’s a couple of things to be mindful of:

1-As dai dap said earlier, I’m assuming you will be using your digi card for the first time so when you first put it in the slot it will show a fault on the screen of the tacho (you should have a slip of paper from the DVLA which explains this)

2-There are 2 types of tacho units in the trucks on our roads the most common is the SIEMENS VDO :laughing: which i think is a doddle and the second is the…STONERIDGE :imp: most commonly found only in Scania’s
If you are driving a scanny’ I would advise you to ask for some advice from a colleague just to be on the safe side

3-As pierre said, when you start your driving day on TUES and let’s say you have done 3 hours driving so far with no break and let’s say you are waiting to tip somewhere and the warehouse bloke says “it’s gonna be an hour before we get you on the bay mate”
As you know tyler you can change the mode to POA for that “hour” but and this is what pierre was saying, the tacho will record that “hour” of POA as a valid interruption from driving and wipe the slate clean ie. give you another 4.5 hours to drive. IMHO this is a major [zb] up by the powers that be :blush:

Thanks for all the support guys, i’ll let you all know how i get on.