Hello from JockBristol, retired driver of 30 years

Hello everyone,
I’m retired now but I worked for Harding Brothers for 11 years; J A Bunn for a year; Solstor for 10 years; Wally Thorburn for a year; Davies Southampton for 2 years.

I drove all over Europe and North Africa. I loved driving. I’ve now got MS. I still drive my car but not HGV. I read this forum with interest and just wanted to introduce myself.

My favourite truck to drive was a Scania 144 top line. I have so many stories and memories to share.

All the best

George :slight_smile:

Bring the stories on George,with your experience of driving all over, you have many tales to tell. Lets hear them, good to see another veteran on the forum.
Cheers Dave.

I want to hear stories of JA Bunn

jockbristol:
Hello everyone,
I’m retired now but I worked for Harding Brothers for 11 years; J A Bunn for a year; Solstor for 10 years; Wally Thorburn for a year; Davies Southampton for 2 years.

I drove all over Europe and North Africa. I loved driving. I’ve now got MS. I still drive my car but not HGV. I read this forum with interest and just wanted to introduce myself.

My favourite truck to drive was a Scania 144 top line. I have so many stories and memories to share.

All the best

Harding Bros, ship stores still going arent they ?
Ime sure theres a few pics of thier motors on here somewhere, JH Harding, Avonmouth ?

Suedehead:

jockbristol:
Hello everyone,

All the best

Harding Bros, ship stores still going arent they ?
Ime sure theres a few pics of thier motors on here somewhere, JH Harding, Avonmouth ?

A couple of guys i remember from Harding’s are Big Tony (honey monster) and Melvin…I know Tony went to work on the Portbury bridge Meany years ago,but would to know what they’re up to now…I was also on for Davies for 5yrs as well as being on for R&G Maritime Freight for over 15yrs before that plus one or two other company’s for a short while.Had 21yrs all told out their.but back doing the UK for my sins… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hi jockbristol,
do you remember a guy (now sadly deceased) called Bill Stradling who worked for many years on Hardings? Pre that he worked for BRS. He worked for the last 20 years of his life with me on the buses in Weston-super-Mare, but used to regale us with his tales of his exploits on Hardings when in our canteen about his trips revictualling ships all over the place . He always maintained that he had spilt more diesel when filling up than I used during my ten years wagon driving before going on the buses! A real character who died before his time.

Dave the Renegade:
Bring the stories on George,with your experience of driving all over, you have many tales to tell. Lets hear them, good to see another veteran on the forum.
Cheers Dave.

Totally agree George.

Veteran truck drivers like yourself, are on a par with veteran troops, to a degree, and it is always nice to hear tales from yesteryear.

Oh by the way, Welcome to TN. :smiley:

Ken.

The lads I remember on JA Bunn were Paul Prewitt (sp?), Gordon Clark, Dave Fitten, Steve Backholder (transport manager), and Melvin and Mickey Baker. Whoever it was who mentioned Melvin, we’re good mates and I see him from time to time - he lives in France.

Regarding Tony the honeymonster- I remember him! Bill Stradland too. and also Jimmy Hoolahan. Mick Baker again, and Gordon Amesbury, Malcolm Presland, Chris Cooper, chris Curtis, Terry Helps, Vic the mechanic (wonder what he did? :smiley:) and many many more.

More later folks,

George aka JockBristol

jockbristol:
The lads I remember on JA Bunn were Paul Prewitt (sp?), Gordon Clark, Dave Fitten, Steve Backholder (transport manager), and Melvin and Mickey Baker. Whoever it was who mentioned Melvin, we’re good mates and I see him from time to time - he lives in France.

Hi George, I see you know my long lost cousin, Dave Fitten!! He drove for Sparks for many years, I used to see him when I was on Italian work. Mad as a box of frogs, a great laugh. I’ve not seen him for many years now though, last I heard he was living on a longboat, retired.

Welcome to the 'net and look forward to your stories!

Regards,

Mark.

Hi I’m sure Dave Fitten still drives for RT Keedwell at Highbridge I last saw him a couple of years ago.
Micky Baker (from Taunton?) retired when Fransens packed in but still does a bit for someone in Taunton but I cant remember who :blush:
Gavin

Gavin McArdle:
Hi I’m sure Dave Fitten still drives for RT Keedwell at Highbridge I last saw him a couple of years ago.
Micky Baker (from Taunton?) retired when Fransens packed in but still does a bit for someone in Taunton but I cant remember who :blush:
Gavin

Hi Gavin, if you see Dave, send him my regards from his cousin Mark in East Sussex! I heard he was doing a bit of part time for a tipper firm near his old home towns Glastonbury and Street. Not sure where his riverboat is though.

Regards,

Mark.

I used to work with a Ted Prewitt ex Bunns. I think he was Paul’s dad. Think he has passed away. Also Trick Dicky ex-bunns who is now on for Mike Brock out of Tytherington quarry.