Hello fro a newbie

hi, I’m Rick. going through tockwith training as soon as i can. ive run a fireplace business for 20 years, but the popularity of woodburners means i’m busier than ever and earning less than ever, so i’ve wound it up. looks like reed boardall are a good place to start, and i’ll see where things go after that. drinks on me,if thats customary round here.

Hi and welcome. Once youve made a few posts youncan access the forums search function. Might be worth typing in Reed Boardall to see what comes up :wink:

ive seen the horror stories already! need a step on the ladder! cheers for the welcome! does anybody know the current rates of pay? or if north yorks companies will take on new drivers?

As a newly passed driver, there is plenty of work. Just be warned that its not all good work. We’re at the bottom of the list so we get the zb jobs if any at all but don’t let that get you down. Lots of places are looking, both agency and full time positions with many saying they accept newly passed drivers. When you pass, apply to tons of agencies. The more the better as it gives you a much bigger spread to choose from. When you do get work, ask them questions on how the truck works and how the tacos work. You won’t get training on them when you’re learning only theory work. I didn’t ask and made a pigs ear of my first day. Get some experience running agency stuff then apply to the big boys. Get more experience with them and maybe they’ll put you through your class 1 if you ask nicely.

That being said, don’t work removals. I did it for one day and that was enough for me.

RB isn’t a bad job so long as you work on nights and aren’t shy about working long hours. Best shift to work Imo as a driver would be 4 on 4 off nights. That way you can do 5 on 3 off 6 on 2 off, then if you want your 4 days off take them as you wish etc. Drivers take home from what I hear £450-550 after tax etc.

The trucks are all Volvo and mercs, with a few rental scanias for the time being. I hear theyre getting 50 more mercs onto the fleet (to the drivers disappointment :laughing:) For anyone after a start driving I would recommend it after all its easier to find work when your in work isn’t it? Plus your gaining experience while your at it. Theyre far from perfect but compared to paynes just up the road theyre a better lot to work for id say.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Welcome aboard. :smiley:

All work is experience in the early days, can’t be too picky when there’s no proven track record. There is work to be had though, you just need to persevere.

rick parfitt:
hi, I’m Rick. going through tockwith training as soon as i can.

Hi Rick,

This is the truth, and very well put if I might say so…

TheMissus:
All work is experience in the early days, can’t be too picky when there’s no proven track record. There is work to be had though, you just need to persevere.

Thanks for all the advice. I can live with that sort of money, my business has paid me a lot less for the last 4 years! Only thing that bothers me about tockwith training( I’ve had a look round and they appear to be a good outfit) is that they train with automatics ( Volvo fh’s) how easy is it to pick up manual gear boxes once you’ve got a bit of driving time in on autos? Are those mercs not popular? They look the part from outside!

Id say shop around first before parting with money, make sure the school is right for you. Manual gearboxes on trucks are pretty easy. Id say go with a manual cat C then you have an idea of how the gear boxes work and then go auto in your artic if that’s what you want to do.

And compare the volvos to the mercs, Volvos are more popular. Sometimes handing keys to a merc to a driver is like handing them a ■■■■ filled nappy or at least they act like it! :laughing: It wouldn’t surprise me though if they added some of the new t range renaults to the fleet as they faired better than the mercs did fuel wise and was more popular when they had the demo in. Shame I never got to have a go though :frowning:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

You will find that, in the real world, most 2 axle rigids are either auto or 6 speed. 3 or 4 axle rigids will be auto or an “interesting” manual. Artics tend to be auto but can be anything.

If you learn in a manual C you have done 2 things. You have gained some experience with the type of gearbox fitted to that particular truck. You have also made your life more difficult when it comes to passing the test.

My opinion is that the way forward is to train and pass on auto and then have an hour on an “interesting” gearbox without the pressure of a test. That way you wont be totally green when presented with one - - if that ever happens.

It is the employer’s responsibility to familiarise you with any bit of kit you are issued with. Folks wittle about driving assessments; don’t - the assessor will give you all the information you need to manage the truck. (If he doesn’t, you don’t want to work for them).

It’s so important to realise that, although there are advantages to learning in a manual, there are so many variations out there that you’re going to have to learn something new anyway.

Have a word with Tockwith and see if they can sort you out with an hour on a manual after you’ve passed your test.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks again for all the advice. My understanding is that tockwith have no manuals left in their fleet, but I’ll ask.

Peter Smythe:
You will find that, in the real world, most 2 axle rigids are either auto or 6 speed. 3 or 4 axle rigids will be auto or an “interesting” manual. Artics tend to be auto but can be anything.

If you learn in a manual C you have done 2 things. You have gained some experience with the type of gearbox fitted to that particular truck. You have also made your life more difficult when it comes to passing the test.

My opinion is that the way forward is to train and pass on auto and then have an hour on an “interesting” gearbox without the pressure of a test. That way you wont be totally green when presented with one - - if that ever happens.

It is the employer’s responsibility to familiarise you with any bit of kit you are issued with. Folks wittle about driving assessments; don’t - the assessor will give you all the information you need to manage the truck. (If he doesn’t, you don’t want to work for them).

It’s so important to realise that, although there are advantages to learning in a manual, there are so many variations out there that you’re going to have to learn something new anyway.

Have a word with Tockwith and see if they can sort you out with an hour on a manual after you’ve passed your test.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

My first job, they just threw a set of keys at me and said “jog on then”.

Hi Rick, so you went from playing guitar in a well established rock band to making fireplaces, now you want to go wagon driving !
According to what I’ve heard on here Reed B are good for taking newbies and you will be ok with auto only. I don’t think Paynes would take you on as there motors are older than RB
Your obviously somewhere near Ripon so try get your name down with Ripon Select Foods,they probably won’t take you on immediately but you get a foot in the door,all new tackle and prob all auto now. Good luck
Jim

their rigid is two axle auto volvo. they haven’t replaced the artic just yet. thats still a manual volvo fh, so looks like best of both worlds.
passed theory this morning, and booked cat c for 30th sep, so looking forward to getting on with it.
so hopefully go from ‘wannabe’ to new driver pretty soon!

Hello Rick and welcome :smiley:

Welcome hun

I work for reeds as a casual driver, plenty of work and decent gear. Give me a shout if you’ve got any questions.
SB