Hargreave services

anyone had any experience with these guys? http://www.hargreavesservices.co.uk/
they mainly do bulk tipper work on coal/coke. but recently have aquired imperial tankers fleet
I`ve been given the oppotunity to go for an assessment sat 8th,
for me its something to fall back onto in the quieter months that are ahead of us when on the agency.
But I want to find out as much background info as I can beforehand

Can only pass on what I’ve heard from other people who have done work from them. No personal experience myself.

From what I understand they do have good kit, and keep it updated, but they are very tight on your movements, all units tracked constantly by GPS and times ete might require a quite enthusiastic journey.

Could be good if you like that sort of environment, I’ve no idea what the money is like though.

All the best,

Alex

Scarab:
times ete might require a quite enthusiastic journey.

That has got to be the quote of the day

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I worked for Hargreaves for a very short time last year (1 week!) As has been mentioned already, the kit seemed pretty good, and they are VERY tight on your movements.

While I was being trained by another driver we stopped for a bacon sarnie, and he said I had to eat it whilst I was driving as they would be keeping an eye on us at all times, and they would soon be ringing us to find out why we had stopped.

I told them I wouldn’t be continuing to work for them when I received my contract of employment and saw all the clauses they had in it (not wanting to pay you clauses) such as, if you underload by 300kgs they will charge you for lost revenue, they will fine you a tenner a week for not keeping the cab clean, fine you again if you don’t put the sheet over etc etc etc

The one bit that got me though was the pay, it was £5.96 p/h, 12 hour days and they expected you to work most Saturday mornings. O/T was £9.00 p/h if I remember correctly.

Might have changed since then though, this was just what I experienced.

As previously stated im looking at it to tide me over the forthcoming quiet months on the agy, the ad stated it was only £22k-£24k which is poor but average for local area. Ill take a close look at the T&C`s and make a note of your points when i go for the assesment next saturday.

a guy in my local pub has recently bought into hargreaves as an O/O
So I`ll ask him what he knows when I see him

paul261267:
While I was being trained by another driver we stopped for a bacon sarnie, and he said I had to eat it whilst I was driving as they would be keeping an eye on us at all times, and they would soon be ringing us to find out why we had stopped.

I was trained by a driver like that once. They call them ZB’s :stuck_out_tongue:

If im ever asked why I have stopped, I enquire of their toilet habits. Did you have a crap this morning? “Yes”. Well, So did I 10 minutes ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

paul261267:

I was trained by a driver like that once. They call them ZB’s :stuck_out_tongue:

If im ever asked why I have stopped, I enquire of their toilet habits. Did you have a crap this morning? “Yes”. Well, So did I 10 minutes ago :stuck_out_tongue:

i think you mentioned on another thread about this company that you had a couple of friends on with them.

don’t do it …i knocked there offer back .as the transport manger decided to near on scream that if I’m not where i should be at a certain time then I’m out …

.christ it was only a interview :unamused:

Well I made the effort to turn up for the appointment / Driving assessment
did the written idiot test etc, and sat down for the interview with the young lady.
At this point things start to go wrong, especially when she tells me the pay

• £7 p/hr
  • 48 hour basic week — average working week 55-65hrs
  • Overtime after 48 hours
  • Overtime rate £10 p/hour
  • Hours — as and when they plan, Monday to Friday
  • Nights out per week ……. Regional average 1-3, National 4+ (tramping)
  • Night out rate £23 per night
  • Parking paid up to a unspecified maximum
  • No meal allowance
  • Holidays Statutory 20 day + Bank holiday. Accrued at around 1.7 days a month
  • Attendance bonus scheme in place paid at 1.5% of income for 1st 2 years, and 2.4% for 3rd +

After politely listening to and answering all the questions, I was asked to wait while the driving assessor returned. At which point I stated that I would`nt be interested in the position and left

Its a scary prospect that Hargreaves have taken over Sammy Jones and Gilbraiths as well as Imperial Tankers. They are the among the last of a few UK based chemical hauliers.

Who is left apart from Lewis Tankers(Simons) Suttons? Dennis Dixon? and Lynch?

GCA - French
Samat - French
VDB - Dutch
Derijke - Dutch
Bertschi - Swiss
DHL - German
Hoyer - German

hi all i’m working back at hargreaves it’s not that bad dependin on what contract you go on and all those clauses they never use, i’m on the hanson contract about 2 nites out a week and no hassle from them north east idot tm’s. but problem with them is how much there buying if they can’t get business they just buy em basically. it all depends wot u want from em.

steve07:
hi all i’m working back at hargreaves it’s not that bad dependin on what contract you go on and all those clauses they never use, i’m on the hanson contract about 2 nites out a week and no hassle from them north east idot tm’s. but problem with them is how much there buying if they can’t get business they just buy em basically. it all depends wot u want from em.

I think thats what you go to work for.

£7 p/hr

• 48 hour basic week — average working week 55-65hrs
  • Overtime after 48 hours
  • Overtime rate £10 p/hour
  • Hours — as and when they plan, Monday to Friday
  • Nights out per week ……. Regional average 1-3, National 4+ (tramping)
  • Night out rate £23 per night
  • Parking paid up to a unspecified maximum ■■?
  • No meal allowance

And that is ADR tanker work

it’s more for the tankers they own i think?

It’s also pretty standard Teesside/Durham rates.

Wheel Nut:
And that is ADR tanker work

no that was tipper work, the rates are comparable to the lower end of the pay scale in this area for C+E, add into the equation a 50/60 mile round trip to the coking plant where it is based at royston barnsley, and Id be worse off overall. so ill stick to taking my chances on the agency, even in the new year

Ey up Pierre

This may be a stupid question, but have you got a reason for not trying such as Pawsons, knowing roughly where you live. Obviously its the wrong time of the year now. Just curious 'cos I work through agency there alot and it seems a good set up. (I know pays poor but compares to what you were considering)

Just curious…

C

how can you have a55 to 65 avrage work week i thought wtd said only haa only 48 hour average. if you eat your bacon sarny while drive do you get a straw to drink tea ho and what if phone goes

Argh Hargreaves a firm that has drivers running so mad they even take breaks on the hard shoulder on the M180/M62.

hi am startin for hargreaves on monday 16th of may on a walking floor :sunglasses: haha wish me luck for christs sake :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
Its a scary prospect that Hargreaves have taken over Sammy Jones and Gilbraiths as well as Imperial Tankers. They are the among the last of a few UK based chemical hauliers.

Who is left apart from Lewis Tankers(Simons) Suttons? Dennis Dixon? and Lynch?

GCA - French
Samat - French
VDB - Dutch
Derijke - Dutch
Bertschi - Swiss
DHL - German
Hoyer - German

Add PM Rees (Welsh) to that list :smiley: