Got my test, a few questions if you dont mind

hi all, got my artic test on monday and i have a few questions that i cant seem to find the answers too.

1. On the test will they ask me any theory questions? like drivers hours. What questions will they ask me?

2. On the reverse am i allowed 2 shunts? also can i get out the cab to look at my progress - do i have to turn engine off for this?

3. on the couple/uncouple do I have to actually remove the number plate? my instructor said just to say i’ve done it

4. is it normally reverse. drive on road, uncouple?

thanks all. I did have more questions but i forgot them

1 - you will get asked 2 questions - see the on test safety questions contained via my signature

2 - 2 shunts ANYWHERE during the reverse from when you set up at the A cones max but only 1 minor whether 1 or 2 taken

3 - verbal only

4 - yes but not always

1. they ask you two questions at the begining of the test about checking your lorry.

2. you are allowed 2 shunts, once you reversed into the box you can get out to check I dont think you have to turn the engine off.

3. just say that you would remove number plate you dont physically have to do it.

4. yes usually is reverse, controlled stop, drive on road then uncouple/recouple

bubsy06:
2. once you reversed into the box you can get out to check I dont think you have to turn the engine off.

you can get out to check ONCE
The engine can be left running

I’m a little surprised that your instructor has not explained all this in detail to you and let you watch a test during your training.

who are you training with?

ROG:

bubsy06:
2. once you reversed into the box you can get out to check I dont think you have to turn the engine off.

I’m a little surprised that your instructor has not explained all this in detail to you and let you watch a test during your training.

The instructor told me to turn the engine off every time before leaving cab. :confused:
Due to:

1. Vehicle security
  2. Vehicle emissions

gsm31:

ROG:

bubsy06:

The instructor told me to turn the engine off every time before leaving cab. :confused:
Due to:

1. Vehicle security
  2. Vehicle emissions

I have an e-mail on this point from the DSA examiners and to keep the engine running whilst in the garage box to do the quick check is allowed.

ROG:
I sent an e-mail to the DSA with questions listed in another thread and got a reply :smiley: :smiley:

The questions are in black with the replies in blue

Are all candidates on non B tests allowed to exit their vehicle when they initially stop in the ‘garage’ to go and take a ‘FREE’ look. once, at where the rear of their vehicle is and to put right with one more reverse move if necessary?
Yes, you can get out to check the position once. The best place to check the position is when the vehicle is nearly in the yellow and black stopping area and then the candidate can adjust the position as necessary.

If yes to Q1, does the engine have to be switched off and the keys removed?
The test takes place on an area from which will not have other traffic moving about. There is nothing laid down about stopping the engine and removing the key, although this may be the best course of action; provided the vehicle is safely parked with the parking brake applied there would not be a fault.

Are you ok to touch the barrier on the reverse exercise?
Yes. You can touch the barrier gently which may cause the barrier feet to lift, but you must not dislodge the barrier.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further
assistance.

Peter Burton
Assistant Chief Driving Examiner
Technical Support Team
Standards & Regulation
0115 901 2537/2539

2 shunts depending on how the shunts are used. also depending on examiner.

ROG:

gsm31:

ROG:

bubsy06:

Due to:

1. Vehicle security
  2. Vehicle emissions

I have an e-mail on this point from the DSA examiners and to keep the engine running whilst in the garage box to do the quick check is allowed.

ROG:
I sent an e-mail to the DSA with questions listed in another thread and got a reply :smiley: :smiley:

The questions are in black with the replies in blue

Are all candidates on non B tests allowed to exit their vehicle when they initially stop in the ‘garage’ to go and take a ‘FREE’ look. once, at where the rear of their vehicle is and to put right with one more reverse move if necessary?
Yes, you can get out to check the position once. The best place to check the position is when the vehicle is nearly in the yellow and black stopping area and then the candidate can adjust the position as necessary.

If yes to Q1, does the engine have to be switched off and the keys removed?
The test takes place on an area from which will not have other traffic moving about. There is nothing laid down about stopping the engine and removing the key, although this may be the best course of action; provided the vehicle is safely parked with the parking brake applied there would not be a fault.

Are you ok to touch the barrier on the reverse exercise?
Yes. You can touch the barrier gently which may cause the barrier feet to lift, but you must not dislodge the barrier.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further
assistance.

Peter Burton
Assistant Chief Driving Examiner
Technical Support Team
Standards & Regulation
0115 901 2537/2539

The test centre I sat my test at doubles up as a University car park with 2 entrances.
There are vehicles,cyclists and pedestrians regularly crossing the test area. :angry: :angry: :angry:

The test centre I sat my test at doubles up as a University car park with 2 entrances.
There are vehicles,cyclists and pedestrians regularly crossing the test area

As this is an unusual circumstance, then perhaps it would be deemed safer to remove keys.
The DSA answer would be OK for the ‘normal’ reverse test areas.

moving_on:

i’d rather not say yet as i wanna see if they can redeem themselves before i give them a bad rep as they’ve really messed me about.

supposed to have test monday all week ive been ringing up to see what time my test would be and all week they just keep fobbing me off. I arrive for my lesson today (sat) to find they havent even booked my test! even tho i paid deposit over a month ago and so therefore they knew i was serious and not timewaster.

so now on monday we gotta go down to gloucester (way out of the way from where i am) on the hope that there is a vacant test slot first thing.

all this extra hassle and worry is affecting my drivin keep doin stupid things that i wasnt last weekend!

n e way that my rant, feels better.
hope the rest of u are havin better weekend.

tramp:

moving_on:

i’d rather not say yet as i wanna see if they can redeem themselves before i give them a bad rep as they’ve really messed me about.

supposed to have test monday all week ive been ringing up to see what time my test would be and all week they just keep fobbing me off. I arrive for my lesson today (sat) to find they havent even booked my test! even tho i paid deposit over a month ago and so therefore they knew i was serious and not timewaster.

so now on monday we gotta go down to gloucester (way out of the way from where i am) on the hope that there is a vacant test slot first thing.

all this extra hassle and worry is affecting my drivin keep doin stupid things that i wasnt last weekend!

n e way that my rant, feels better.
hope the rest of u are havin better weekend.

I’m guessing…

tramp:
thanks a lot everyone but after much research and ringing round i think im going to go with west midlands transport training. Now all ive got to do is save up!

I always understood the engine had to be left running to make the point that you may not have finished the excersise. If you switch off then it seems like you are donw with the manouvre.
However if there are pedestrians about then maybe it would be a safer option.
But… why on earth is the reverse area in a place where people can walk across it?? I would have thought that this was not allowed by the DSA who are usually so strict on this sort of thing.
Health and Safety anyone?

ROG:

tramp:

moving_on:

I’m guessing…

tramp:
thanks a lot everyone but after much research and ringing round i think im going to go with west midlands transport training. Now all ive got to do is save up!

no its def not them!

I thought it was normal practice for them to book your test slot as to follow on from your lessons.

It’s always been the case regards anyone I know that’s gone through the stress of an LGV test. There assumption being, you should be up to test standard after the 5 days or so training you’ve had.