Going self employed

I am fed up of working for agencies that promise work that never appears! I am thinking of going self employed and sending my cv to all local companies as a temporary, relief, occasional driver. I am guessing I have to have public liability but would I have to have my own lorry insurance?
Any other suggestions or advice greatly appreciated

If I was you I’d put in a personal appearance at prospective clients where possible! Play to your strengths… :wink: I believe public liability should be enough, shop around for that.

ask Quinny or Alex 776

i know that those two are self employed drivers and will both help :wink:

Website, emails, recommendations and a personal visit.

shuttlespanker:
ask Quinny or Alex 776

i know that those two are self employed drivers and will both help :wink:

I’m self employed via the agency, not direct, however I have done one or two ad hoc jobs of that nature in the past.

I do however know a guy that did direct, and did ok out of it while it lasted.

Ken.

i do this,i work for a firm local to me & am signed on with a couple of agencies,works out pretty good for me. :slight_smile:
i have public liability insurance & that’s it,you don’t need lorry insurance as your driving for that company/agency on their insurance as you would if you were employed by them.
i went round firms offering my services,driving that it is :wink: for holiday cover,sick cover etc,charged a few quid an hour less than the agency charged that they used,plus i don’t charge vat so can save them a few quid more.they were happy with that,did a couple of days for them as a trial run & been doing it since june last year :slight_smile:
i have just been booked for a few weeks & days from end of this month until may then most of the holidays in june/july & august,but no doubt more will follow as the year goes on.
the firms drivers are happy as they get the same driver in all the time,they trust me & i get on well with them all,look after the motors & do a good job,that’s what it’s all about.
i just let the agencies know if i’m available or not & they book me if i’m free,works well.

don’t rely on e-mail/post,get the name of transport manger/boss & ask to see/speak directly & then say what your doing.get a good c.v done but also some flyers as to what your experience is,this might be more relevant than a C.V. as most people aren’t bothered about what schoool you went to etc.
i got some business cards done,a uniform of polo shirts & a couple of sweatshirts so as to look professional & smart.new hi viz waist coats with my logo on as well.if you look the part it goes a long to showing that your a professional driver & business man.i’ve got an e-mail address as well for keeping in touch with the firms & agencies as well as for ordering items for the business,it all goes a long to way show your not just ‘a driver’ :wink:
i can’t upload a flyer on here some reason so pm with your mail address & i’ll send it to you if you want