General Help To Gaining LGV Licences

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to say what a great site, So much information that to be honest I’m a bit confused because of when some of the information was posted with changes in legisltion etc… :blush:

I did’nt get a great education hence held a PCV for the last 23 years. I have now decided it’s time to gain the LGV licenses. I have had delivered today the two forms needed the D2 & D4. How do I know if I may already have the Provisional entitlement on my license??

Ok so thats the first step getting the provisional entitlement. I want to order the correct books DVD’s etc. so I can have a head start as slow learner but I want to make sure the Books,DVD’s I buy are valid as I saw In WH Smiths a deal on a few but I think they were out of date?? So if someone can point me in the right direction for the to date literature and what I will need that would be great…

Think that’s enough for tonight or I will confuse myself…

Thank You So Much…

Mark :smiley:

Hi welcome to the mad house

Have a look at your licence to see if it has entitlement on is it paper or a photo card :question:

Look on e bay for the material but you can buy from the shop but check the date it was released

If you dont have entitlement on you will need the medical but depends where you live for that also may help for a recomedned training provider

A look here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23685

Or my training provider did mine as well as supplied my with all the reading mater & DVD ect

Hi Mark,

you can now study online for all your theories. Please google my user name and 1/2 way down my home page will be a link to online theory training. Have a look and you can have a free trial. It does multi choice, HP and Driver CPC.

hgvlgvtraining

You are right lots of info on here which is all very useful. Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on.

Hi Mark

You might try your local libary they may have a copy of theory :bulb:

Good luck with it all

Jennie x

Hi MarkyBoy,

Your long standing PCV fetish is noted, but we won’t hold it against you. :grimacing:

:open_mouth: It’s a good job I got those initials in the correct order. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

HIYYAAA markyboy, you could try any high street book shop ,or look in the back pages of the current dsa driving books on the shelf - this shows all the other driving books including LGV & prices available . hope this helps & welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Again,

Thank you so much for welcoming me aboard. I am slowly getting things together! Well the cash for all this…

I have a few questions I would like to ask which I hope you don’t mind me asking?

Is the LGV CPC the same as PCV CPC?? As I have already done 1day =7hrs would this go towards my 35hrs?? Also can I get started with my theory and training without doing the CPC?? Do I still have the time limit of which was 5years for PCV to do it??

Thanks

Mark…

Yes the PCV /CPC & LGV/CPC are the similar & yes it should count towards your LGV part

Yes you can look at all the info and start reading up on the theory / HPT part

You wont have to do the initial CPC as you have the grandfather rights

For LGV / CPC you have till 2013 & if you do it in the right way it can count towards your PCV /CPC

Hope this answers you questions

animal:
Yes the PCV /CPC & LGV/CPC are the similar & yes it should count towards your LGV part

Yes you can look at all the info and start reading up on the theory / HPT part

You wont have to do the initial CPC as you have the grandfather rights

For LGV / CPC you have till 2013 & if you do it in the right way it can count towards your PCV /CPC

Hope this answers you questions

Thanks Animal,

Thats great news so just the medical D4 form then?

How do you know I have Grandfather Rights?

Thanks

You passed test before 97

Was a guess that all :laughing: :laughing:

I have got things mixed up here between CPC Rights and whether I need or have a provisional Entitlement.

Yes I have Grandfather rights to the CPC part thats been confirmed…

Right so do I have the provisional entitlement?? Looking at my photocard part of licence I have C1 & C1E??

I have now dug out the paper part of licence and in the Provisional box the only categories there are DE & GH

I wish I got an education :blush:

Mark

Looks like you dont have the Cat C provisional on there so will have to tick the box to say you want it added on

But someone else wil know more than me on this :blush:

Mark,

I posted this earlier…It may help

Regards

hgvlgvtraining

OK,
I will Try and keep it as simple as possible. This is how I read the situation.

Driver CPC came into force 10th Sept 2009.

2 types of qualification. Initial and periodic.

Initial Driver CPC:
New entrants who want C1 and C (who do not already have C1) and want to drive professionally need to do initial Driver CPC, i.e. modules 1,2,3 and 4.

Once new entrants have passed C1 or C ( or who have C1 under grandfather rights) will then be subject to periodic training: 35 hours every 5 years.

Periodic Driver CPC is for those who already had C1, C and C+E on 10th Sept 2009. They must complete 35 hours every 5 years (by 10th Sept 2014)
Periodic also applies to those new entrants who have attained the initial Driver CPC C1 or C (or have C1 under grandfather rights but the 35 hours they must complete will not be 10th September 2014. it will be 5 years to the date after having passed module 4.

i.e. I am a new entrant and I don’t have C1 under grandfather right. I take my initial cat C along with initial driver CPC and complete module 4 (say) 10th December 2009. Then I must complete 35 hours periodic training by 10th December 2014.

What Jennie (I think) is trying to say here is that she already has cat (it really does not matter when she passed it, i.e. before or after 10th September 2009.)

The point is she has to do the 35 hours periodic. She wants to attend a cat C+E course and wants to get periodic Driver CPC hours at the same time.

This in principle is possible as long as two factors count.

1, the course is at least 7 hours in duration within 24 hours periodic
2, the course is JAUPT approved (that is down to the training company to get approval) and JAUPT to approve it.

Hi Mark

Seems all far too confusing for me. Let me try and simplify it all.

Medical and apply for provisional CAT C.

Theory training and tests (hazard perception and multiple choice)

Driving course and test.

No driver cpc initial qualification required as you already hold a C1 on grandfather rights.

That will get you going.

A couple of bonus’s: if your bus licence is auto it will be upgraded to manual once you’ve passed your CAT C - assuming you do that on a manual of course. With regards to driver cpc, you already hold it for both licences. This means that as you complete periodic training it will cover both i.e you only need do 35 hours over the 5 year period which ends Sept 2013. You can do this training either on PCV or LGV - it doesn’t matter and it will still cover both.

Hope this helps.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thank You All Very Much!!

I am a slow learner :blush: I have my medical on the 21st with a local GP who unlucky for me is away on hols this weekend so thats the first available, not complaining £50.00 I think that seems a good price.

Mark… :smiley: