From a car driver to a truck driver (overtaking question)

Not the first time I’ve heard you mention fist and ■■■■ in the same sentance, getting worried now :laughing: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:
Consider the need to give information; is the driver infront aware of your presence, do you need to signal your intention to the driver behind? Consider the benefits of giving a headlight, horn or indicator signal.

So why indicator is not enough? :slight_smile:

Where’s Rog when you need him?

This is tricky question, better to avoid. Believe me, been there, done that, got a slagging :stuck_out_tongue:

orys:
So why indicator is not enough? :slight_smile:

Because most numpty drivers aren’t watching what’s happenning behind & at the side of them, with the exception of some truck drivers.

newmercman:
At last, a rival for the lift axle thread :laughing:

Tell me Christopher, whilst in your car, do you prefer passing a 4x2, 6x2 in either configuration or a 6x4 tractor unit :question: :imp: :imp: :laughing:

Tricky question. I think my answer would be whichever throws up the least spray :smiley: But having said that, the more axles the less road damage right? So I’m probably on the fence on this. Given one fill of your tank in Europe costs more than I earn in a month, I have no idea about cost/benefit aside from the ability to haul slightly more. Is the VED still less on a 6x2 (and if so, how come?)

Also I just saw a photo of a chassis conversion with a single drum axle on the back. Looks stupid and out of place. :grimacing:

Christopher:
Tricky question. I think my answer would be whichever throws up the least spray :smiley: But having said that, the more axles the less road damage right? So I’m probably on the fence on this. Given one fill of your tank in Europe costs more than I earn in a month, I have no idea about cost/benefit aside from the ability to haul slightly more. Is the VED still less on a 6x2 (and if so, how come?)

You’ve just answered your own question in blue above.

Also I just saw a photo of a chassis conversion with a single drum axle on the back. Looks stupid and out of place. :grimacing:

I think you mean with single wheels? Commonly known as a tag axle - because originally they were “tagged on.” These have now fallen out of common usage with “pushers” being more common. i.e. Driven axle at the back, lift axle infront of it - but still with single wheels.

If you spent about a fortnight reading the thread about lift axles, you’ll find all you need to know.

Driveroneuk:
If you spent about a fortnight reading the thread about lift axles, you’ll find all you need to know.

Why do I get the distinct feeling I’ll emerge the other side and never quite be the same again? :wink: Saying that, I have a LOT of time doing nothing this Christmas. Time to fire up the laserjet.

Are VED bands still the same (cheaper for 6x2 than 4x2) as they were a couple of years ago? (already done a little reading round the subject) And if so, even carrying the extra unloaded axle weight when not in use, how come more drivers don’t use them? As someone pointed out, on this forum I believe, it gives them the opportunity to haul more and heavier goods which surely is a bonus.

Or is it an issue of an additional category on your licence?

According to this:

For 12 months:

4 x 2 + tri-axle trailer @ 44 tonne £1850 or £1350 if meeting preset pollution requirements.

(but you can’t run at 44T on 5 can you? I know 3+2 max weight = 40T. What about 2+3 ?)

6 x 2 + tri-axle trailer @ 44 tonne = £1200 or £700

If you need to pull tandem axle trailers, the rate higher.