France and Northern Spain/Benelux

I get the feeling I may be offered the above. I’m tempted to take the run just the “have my fussy out with it.” I also feel it’s my next step, more so than the oversized loads I was, am now not considering. Is their any advice you’d offer to the first timer who has been doing 3/4 nights out a week recently and finds he can do them reasonabley comfortabley (I stil hate nights out :laughing:). My point of view at the moment suggests that their would be the difference in driving style (other side of the road), the language barrier, the paperwork, not to mention the vaious laws and road tax options you’d have to get to grips with. All help is appreciated as I know nothing about this side of the job, but am exceedingley tempted by it, just for tghe chance to roam.

Cheers

Ian.

Apart from driving on the wrong side :exclamation: the job is not difficult, vehicle documents have to be correct and in date, as does safety equipment. Basically the only difference in paperwork is that you will need a CMR, there are no border controls or delays created by customs, (mores the pity) [that was the downfall of European work]

There are local holidays and driving bans to contend with, as well as the normal weekend bans.

The language barrier is easily overcome if you take the time to learn some key phrases, It is still easy to meet drivers who say, I have been doing Germany for 30 years and I dont speak German :confused: as though it is somehow clever.

And one thing I have noticed this week, you can always spot the Bulgarian, Romanian drivers with their choice of cheap shell suit.

unfortunately the Brits stand out much more as they shout and yawp in a bar with a hi viz vest covered in grease :open_mouth:

Belgium:-
Remember to buy road tax for Belgium which is easier to get in France Routiers/petrol stations. DO NOT wait to try and get it in Belgium as its difficult.

France:-
Gendarmes are usually at toll boothes looking at a way to fine you!
French Routiers put UK Truckstops to shame…make time to enjoy the experience.
Always give way to the Right the other driver assumes you will. Especially on unmarked crossroads even though you may think you have priority.
Most places shut down between 1200 - 1400 for lunch.

General:
Don’t carry all your cash. Stash it in more than one place in your truck. Eastern block drivers are less scrupulous than Western drivers. Keep your eyes open and your truck secure.
Channel crossings sometimes get delayed so be prepared carry emergency food.

Ossie

ossie:
. Eastern block drivers are less scrupulous than Western drivers.

:question: :question: :question: :question:

What’s all that about then? :open_mouth: :confused: :cry:

Salut, David.

Stick to UK,it`s not all that it is cracked up to be,the only good bit is that you will be on the autoroutes for the most part and they are 99.999999% hold up free.Yes the truck stops are great,get there early or they will be full,foget service areas,I have passed 4 some times and have had to have a second break,and when you park up you will alway get some ■■■■ with a fridge running or a knock early doors asking you to let them out ,untill you get to know where you will park up it is ■■■■.

you will have the time of your life HONESTLY :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Is it the Eastern bloc drivers who wake you up then? :smiley:

I quite fancy this European lark :stuck_out_tongue:

What the hell, I’ve got no one to come home to and it sure beats cooking your own meals/washing up :laughing:. If they bring it back in house, then I’ll annoy the boss until he gives it me just to get me out of his hair :laughing:.

Liberace:
What the hell, I’ve got no one to come home to

:cry: Awww…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob:
Liberace wrote:
What the hell, I’ve got no one to come home to

Awww…

That’s two of you then, is he trying to serenade you Lib? :open_mouth:

Salut, David.

give it a go matey i would give it a month or two you might like it you might not its no good us telling you yes or no because i love doing it and the next man dont like it because they have had a few bad trips or they come the excuse of the language barrier thing i have done europe for twelve years now ever since i started driving and i can order food an drink in french just about i can speak a bit of spanish no dutch belgian or german but i still go there as long as you can read a map to get aroung an not afraid to ask if you not sure and have a bit of common sense you will do ok mate give it a go at least you can say you gave it a go you never know you might like it then again you might not

go on have a go

george

Don’t worry about the language barrier Lib it won’t be as difficult as you think.When I came to London for the first time I couldn’t understand a word they said (WTF is apples and pears about?) but I got there,speak like a native now,awright geez! :wink:

You can’t use W T F :question: :question: :open_mouth:

Thanks for the advice folks, but as I’m no longer connected with the transport industry, the euro will have to wait :wink:.