Forgot to put your handbrake on?

so lets blame the passing trucks but hold on the neighbours car hasnt moved either the the dumb ■■■■■■ forgot to but the hand brake on and leave it in reverse or its a really ■■■■ handbrake and not left in gear

either way that should of been left in gear to prevent anything like that happening

VERDICT - ■■■■■ driver grow the ■■■■ up and admit responsibility you old ■■■■■

Dieseldoforme:

A runaway bin lorry careered out of control, crashing into two cars, demolishing a lamppost, and ploughing into a house in Sheffield.

The dramatic scenes happened when the Veolia bin lorry was making collections in Tunwell Drive, Ecclesfield, at around 9.45am yesterday. (22/8/13)

Residents watched in horror as the wagon ploughed down Tunwell Drive and across Tunwell Avenue into the home of a shocked pensioner.

Shop fitter Jamie Smedley, aged 28, whose silver Vauxhall van was damaged, said: “I was in the house when I heard this thud, thud, thud and then a bang.

“I came outside and saw the wagon had crashed into the house opposite - and my van, which had been parked at the bottom of my drive, was at the side of it.

“The lorry had hit a black Corsa first and pulled that along the road, then dragged my car down the street, across the road and into the house. There was an elderly lady in at the time. I think she was a bit shaken up.”

I was just glad there were no kids playing out. It rolled down the hill and grabbed the car on the way past.”

Owner of the black Corsa, Diane Clayton, aged 59, works as a housekeeper at the Northern General Hospital. She said: “I heard a bang and the next thing my neighbour came to alert me that my car had been damaged. It could have been a lot worse if there had been cars or pedestrians on Tunwell Avenue.”

She said both damaged cars would probably have to be written off.

Well bugger me (he says, more in hope than anger) :smiley:

I used to live at 34 Tunwell Avenue. And it’s in Parson Cross, not Ecclesfield, “dee-dars” trying to sound posh again… :unamused:

norb:
A couple of years ago another car manufacturer had an issue with handbrakes releasing .It even made Watchdog ,but I take that programme with a pinch of salt They initially blamed owners saying they weren’t applying it properly,and where ratcheting it on and they should have also left it in gear…But in the long run I think hey did a service bulletin repair…With the Renault ,is the handbrake properly adjusted ■■? Do they get the vehicle serviced when it is due ■■? I lie how they added how the child normally played in front of the car…Seems to be a part of todays Britian ,when someone else is responsible for your problems …Now a good idea is to get V.O.S.A to take the car away and check it over to see if the handbrake is indeed defective or not ,I dare say they could find a shaker toput the car on and see if the handbrake does indeed release when subjected to vibration …Then take it up with Renault if required

Don’t be namby-pamby. Name and no need to shame. The other manufacturer was Vauxhall and the complaint was with the Vecta C and C Facelift.

The owners manual clearly states that the handbrake should be ratcheted up, not lifted with the button pressed in to tighten. The reason for this is that if you release the button at the wrong time the ratchet can skip some teeth before it bites and result in an incorrectly applied handbrake. This was communicated to the dealers when the problem was identified and we, (I was a VX new car sales exec at the time) were asked to inform customers of this point specifically at hand over. The recall was pro-forma and was just an inspection in case of worn components.

Some Meganes had EPBs but if I recall it was Dynamique models and Scenic only. They also I think made the same decision as Vauxhall in that three door models wouldn’t receive electronic parking brakes because they were “sportier” and a sporty car needed a real handbrake.

The other thing about most handbrakes is that they don’t bite on the rear disc, rather to a drum inside the rear disc. (At least according to Suzuki who trained us specifically because the 07MY Swift Sport operated differently,) Which means that a cooling brake component would apply the brakes harder, rather than letting them off.