Following on from the lift axle thread

norb:
they have just been to lazy to switch off the isolator

I was reading the paper and a story on a football transfer caught my eye …the strip was your avatar :smiley:

Aha, now I can tell the lazy ones! :laughing:

Youll find when a manufacturer renews their range like now for EURO 6 4X2 tractor units are generally the first off the line ,as that is what Europe run and later on the 6X2 mainly used in the uk are built …Any new model on the road just now will be 4X2

As I have said before I’m pretty new to driving commercially (1 year 2 months) although I did have some transport (office side) experience yet now I’m out there and seeing it for myself, it’s a wonder there are any hauliers based in this country, I thought Europe was supposed to put everyone on an even playing field, it doesn’t thought imagine the expense over the life of a unit running that extra axel cost and the difference it could make. I have always thought it ridiculous that you put an extra tonne on the unit so you can carry a couple of extra tonne in the trailer, this government should be helping companies and in turn employees by ensuring that we are all working from the same set of rules. It must be safe ffs they let them drive over here like that, it wouldn’t be so bad if they madr them run 6x2 over here like us

NewLad:
As I have said before I’m pretty new to driving commercially (1 year 2 months) although I did have some transport (office side) experience yet now I’m out there and seeing it for myself, it’s a wonder there are any hauliers based in this country, I thought Europe was supposed to put everyone on an even playing field, it doesn’t thought imagine the expense over the life of a unit running that extra axel cost and the difference it could make. I have always thought it ridiculous that you put an extra tonne on the unit so you can carry a couple of extra tonne in the trailer, this government should be helping companies and in turn employees by ensuring that we are all working from the same set of rules. It must be safe ffs they let them drive over here like that, it wouldn’t be so bad if they madr them run 6x2 over here like us

I agree with all of that except for the last sentence, it should be us made to run 4x2.

I did a thread and only 4 words appeared so to edit it I have had to write this

It is our government who have decided the axle weights for us …I bet Leyland trucks in the uk who build all RHD DAFs wether it be UK Israel Australia would love it to be simplified…I will admit as a mechanic on DAF my ideal truck is a simple 4X2 CF 85 preferable at Euro 3 spec ,though I may push it to Euro 4 as they don’t derate :smiley: I don’t want light bars and all the gizmos just a simple easy truck as it left th e line .Smart but simple …I may be biased but the CF 85 is hard to beat .look at the awards it has won …I will agree DAF shuld have taken the opportunity with Euro6 to get rid of the 1/4 glass window as they did with the XF

norb:
It is our government who have decided the axle weights for us …I bet Leyland trucks in the uk who build all RHD DAFs wether it be UK Israel Australia would love it to be simplified…I will admit as a mechanic on DAF my ideal truck is a simple 4X2 CF 85 preferable at Euro 3 spec ,though I may push it to Euro 4 as they don’t derate :smiley: I don’t want light bars and all the gizmos just a simple easy truck as it left th e line .Smart but simple …I may be biased but the CF 85 is hard to beat .look at the awards it has won …I will agree DAF shuld have taken the opportunity with Euro6 to get rid of the 1/4 glass window as they did with the XF

Nothing wrong with a CF85 I drive one every day and it’s great apart from the “auto” gearbox. I like quarterlights, no idea why, I just do! :smiley:

how old is your CF 85 ■■ as the newer ones have improved software for better clutch control…your truck may perform better if it has the VCM checked to see if there is a software update available…If there is an update then your or your company would have to pay for it

norb:
how old is your CF 85 ■■ as the newer ones have improved software for better clutch control…your truck may perform better if it has the VCM checked to see if there is a software update available…If there is an update then your or your company would have to pay for it

2007 Flavour, it’s not a problem as (luckily) we rarely have to go into tight places, just want a manual really! :smiley:

A foreign truck over here that’s a 4x2 has a 40 tonne weight limit just like a domestic one. And for much of Europe the limit for international transport is 40 tonnes. France shortly are going to bring in 46 on 6 axles as Ireland I believe have already

switchlogis thank you for that snippet of info… they don’t seem to have a bowing smiley

switchlogic:
A foreign truck over here that’s a 4x2 has a 40 tonne weight limit just like a domestic one. And for much of Europe the limit for international transport is 40 tonnes. France shortly are going to bring in 46 on 6 axles as Ireland I believe have already

I think it’s 48 in Ireland, may be wrong though. Those weights make more sense, 44t is losing a tonne to gain three, never made sense to me.

You’re welcome! Its the reason over the past couple of years you see a lot more Irish companies like us with 6x2s. Now they’ve upped the limit in Ireland it means we can run to the UK at 44 tonnes. Well, not me, mines a 4x2!

switchlogic:

I’m not doubting what you say Luke, but why do so many run on 4x2 then? Even bulk potato and onion wagons are running on 4x2 and there is no way there not maxed out at 44t are they just chancing it?

Scanner:

switchlogic:

I think it’s 48 in Ireland, may be wrong though. Those weights make more sense, 44t is losing a tonne to gain three, never made sense to me.

You may be right. But having for years done meat work from Ireland to UK the extra axle can make the difference between delivering two or three more pallets to two or three customers and not. Three tonnes on a lot of work is a big difference.

switchlogic:
You’re welcome! Its the reason over the past couple of years you see a lot more Irish companies like us with 6x2s. Now they’ve upped the limit in Ireland it means we can run to the UK at 44 tonnes. Well, not me, mines a 4x2!

Nothing to do with constant hassle at every weighbridge? You’ve never come off a boat from Ireland over 40t in a 4x2?

NewLad:

switchlogic:

I’m not doubting what you say Luke, but why do so many run on 4x2 then? Even bulk potato and onion wagons are running on 4x2 and there is no way there not maxed out at 44t are they just chancing it?

Are they foreign trucks? If so they should only be running at 40t. And believe me VOSA are hot on weights. They run on 4x2 because like I say in much of Europe the limit for international work is 40t. No point having an extra axle in that event.

Scanner:

switchlogic:

Nothing to do with constant hassle at every weighbridge? You’ve never come off a boat from Ireland over 40t in a 4x2?

Errrrr, that’s sort of my point. Why run bent with a 4x2 when you can run legal with a 6x2. 5 years ago it was rare to see a 6x2 Irish truck in the UK. Now its very common. Times have changed.

switchlogic:

NewLad:

switchlogic:

Are they foreign trucks? If so they should only be running at 40t. And believe me VOSA are hot on weights. They run on 4x2 because like I say in much of Europe the limit for international work is 40t. No point having an extra axle in that event.

yeah all of them, I know many round my way carrying 26x tonne bags of carrots from Poland, all of that on a 4x2

switchlogic:

Scanner:

switchlogic:

Errrrr, that’s sort of my point. Why run bent with a 4x2 when you can run legal with a 6x2. 5 years ago it was rare to see a 6x2 Irish truck in the UK. Now its very common. Times have changed.

Agreed. The point I’m making is that Irish firms didn’t do it out of a sudden desire to comply with UK law when running here, there had to be some other incentive.