Following on from the lift axle thread

For those on here who drive tankers, instead of me starting a new thread,

Why do the suzies at the back of the cab have a modified headboard which conceals the open space between the cab and walkway? The only extra bit I can see is the cut off switch. Anyone know?

m1cks:

damoq:

busteredwards:
There are only 3 Asda liveried DHL units on the contract, what makes you think they were DHL units you’ve spotted??

Found a PIC of one pulling a decker. Granted it has a full air kit which is not a usual feature on a tanker, but it definitely is PetReg spec.

flickr.com/photos/mikealaska/8614956564/

Check plate mudguards and a hazard plate on the front.
A picture speaks a 1000 words.

I’d say it’s having a second life after ADR work, why else would it have an air kit?

m1cks:

Why do the suzies at the back of the cab have a modified headboard which conceals the open space between the cab and walkway? The only extra bit I can see is the cut off switch. Anyone know?

To do with heat and (potential) sparks being isolated from thousands of litres of flammable liquid, I suppose.

I want to know about the lights on tankers. Why do they have some that seem to stay on all the time (green I think) and why do LED equipped tankers always have standard lights fitted too? Is it in case of LED failure?

Scanner:

m1cks:

damoq:

busteredwards:
There are only 3 Asda liveried DHL units on the contract, what makes you think they were DHL units you’ve spotted??

Found a PIC of one pulling a decker. Granted it has a full air kit which is not a usual feature on a tanker, but it definitely is PetReg spec.

I’d say it’s having a second life after ADR work, why else would it have an air kit?

Its a 62plate. Not even a year old yet.

damoq:

Scanner:

m1cks:

damoq:

busteredwards:

Its a 62plate. Not even a year old yet.

Good point, I didn’t see that. Specification error maybe? :laughing:

damoq:

busteredwards:

It may be ADR spec, but you haven’t seen that truck pulling tankers out of Grangemouth refinery!
And you definitely haven’t seen any DHL drivers & units pulling supermarket good trailers.

Maybe ASDA have some of these units but God only knows what they’re doing with them. :confused:

Scanner:

m1cks:

To do with heat and (potential) sparks being isolated from thousands of litres of flammable liquid, I suppose.

I want to know about the lights on tankers. Why do they have some that seem to stay on all the time (green I think) and why do LED equipped tankers always have standard lights fitted too? Is it in case of LED failure?

if you mean why do the top marker lights stay on even with the keys removed ■■ I may get corrected but from my understanding ,when they are fuelling up the tanker ,it is an obvious sign that the isolator has been operated and the electrical circuit is as safe as it can be …I think the green led is also to do with the isolator

norb:

Scanner:

m1cks:

if you mean why do the top marker lights stay on even with the keys removed ■■ I may get corrected but from my understanding ,when they are fuelling up the tanker ,it is an obvious sign that the isolator has been operated and the electrical circuit is as safe as it can be …I think the green led is also to do with the isolator

Yes, those ones and possibly some others too.

the rear headboard at the rear of the cab is a firewall as previously metioned,the top marker lights staying on is ,so you can tell if the electrical system is isolated not ,even the tacho and alternator though they look the same are different ,I can’t quiet remember the ins and outs of the tacho ,but when you hit the isolator the tacho still has to record,so it still needs power ,but the vehicle stil has to be safe …tachograph would be a good person to explain that part .You will also get braided straps going from the fifth wheel to the chassis which is to prevent static ie you have 2 plates of metal that rub against each other,so the strap bonds them together …I could be wrong bu they don’t seem to run the earth return system as before where every earth wire went back to the battery ,nothing touched the chassis,and you would have lights in the cab that would light up when the chassis had an earth running through it

norb:
the rear headboard at the rear of the cab is a firewall as previously metioned,the top marker lights staying on is ,so you can tell if the electrical system is isolated not ,even the tacho and alternator though they look the same are different ,I can’t quiet remember the ins and outs of the tacho ,but when you hit the isolator the tacho still has to record,so it still needs power ,but the vehicle stil has to be safe …tachograph would be a good person to explain that part .You will also get braided straps going from the fifth wheel to the chassis which is to prevent static ie you have 2 plates of metal that rub against each other,so the strap bonds them together …I could be wrong bu they don’t seem to run the earth return system as before where every earth wire went back to the battery ,nothing touched the chassis,and you would have lights in the cab that would light up when the chassis had an earth running through it

Thanks for that, I suppose that’s why you used to see so many ERF Pet Regs units. Seems strange to have lights that are live to show it’s isolated though.

no… the lights go out when isolated …erf and foden with plastic cabs where safer I guess

scanner ,going by your avatar ,are you a dutch football fan ■■

norb:
no… the lights go out when isolated …erf and foden with plastic cabs where safer I guess

But the ones I see parked up have the lights on when every other light is off and the driver is away from the vehicle. I take it they’re specifically for loading operations then?

No, I can’t stand Football, Dutch or otherwise :smiley:

I have also seen an Asda liveried tanker unit pulling supermarket trailers coming down the M53 nr runcorn so its not just down south.

they have just been to lazy to switch off the isolator

I was reading the paper and a story on a football transfer caught my eye …the strip was your avatar :smiley:

I have a 4x2,6x2 question. I know a 4x2 can’t run at 44t in the uk, I work on Reefers, and every uk based company I have seen pulling Reefers use 6x2 units, I guess because of weight, I know we regularly run at near 44t, why is it that nearly all foreign Reefer’s are pulled on 4x2 units?

Are they not subject to the same rules as us?

andy12:
I have also seen an Asda liveried tanker unit pulling supermarket trailers coming down the M53 nr runcorn so its not just down south.

lol andy grangemouth is in Scotland way up north :smiley:

though years ago when I worked on the asda store fleet ,the unit and trailers belonged to LEX TRANFLEET ,nowday I think they get the units direct form Scania and the trailers may be from Ryder im not 100% sure…I have been in the DHL yard in GRANGEMOUTH where the Asda tanker units are parked along with the Jet tanker units.How the Asda ones are used I do not know

norb:

andy12:

lol andy grangemouth is in Scotland way up north :smiley:

though years ago when I worked on the asda store fleet ,the unit and trailers belonged to LEX TRANFLEET ,nowday I think they get the units direct form Scania and the trailers may be from Ryder im not 100% sure…I have been in the DHL yard in GRANGEMOUTH where the Asda tanker units are parked along with the Jet tanker units.How the Asda ones are used I do not know

Just had a thought. Do you think Asda have bought them so that if the DHL drivers ever go on strike, they can send their own trucks and drivers to do their fuel deliveries?:lol:
I don’t think they have them just for the sake of it though. There must be a very good reason for having them.

supermarkets seem to be a law unto themselves, there may be a possibility that Asda may take fuel delivery in house … but I do not know …but wouldn’t it be better to leave it in the hands of the professionals in that area

NewLad:
I have a 4x2,6x2 question. I know a 4x2 can’t run at 44t in the uk, I work on Reefers, and every uk based company I have seen pulling Reefers use 6x2 units, I guess because of weight, I know we regularly run at near 44t, why is it that nearly all foreign Reefer’s are pulled on 4x2 units?

Are they not subject to the same rules as us?

Because foreign hauliers haven’t allowed themselves to be shafted by governments of every colour for the last thirty years. 6x2 units are a joke, in my opinion. Every foreign haulier I worked for ran 4x2’s and European roads are far superior to UK ones, on the whole. I regularly ran 45-48t on five axles and never had a problem and obviously I wasn’t alone in doing so.