Following on from sat-nav

My map reading skills are pretty good, but I also have a laptop that I could put to good use on the road. Problem is I don’t know wot I need to complete the set-up. Can anyone enlighten me please? With regards to the software, postcode recognition is pretty much essential as a lot of the stuff I deliver goes to farms and such like, so the address can be pretty sparse at the best of times. I would rather use the laptop than go down the PDA type options. All help is welcome :unamused: cheers all

With a Laptop all you basically need is the Satellite reciever and the software. You might need a power lead for the reciever but I’m not sure on that one, it could be powered by the laptop. I know with PDA’s you need a power lead because they don’t have the power to do the job. That’s about it. Plug it all in and off you go.
The post code recognition for Tom Tom Navigator at least is a free download.
I would think the best route is to use Microsoft Autoroute and then just plug in the Satnav reciever. Autoroute has the facility to use real time GPS information.
Don’t think it has any facilities for voice directions though.

Buy a GPS card for your laptop, I got one with an external antenna & PCMCIA adapter off Ebay for 50 quid. This will then work with most navigation software. I used Autoroute initially though this will only show where you are on the map. I bought Infomap’s Navigator (www.directions.co.uk) a couple of weeks ago and find it much better than Autoroute (more information) and it has the added bonus of actually guiding you to your destination using clear directions and voice prompts. If you go off course (find a weight limit, miss a turning etc) it will recalculate the route immediately for you. No connection, just a satisfied customer!

John