Foden Alpha ~ Past & Present

Piston broke:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

norfolktrucker:
Another one from “out my way” still working hard.

Hello norfolktrucker

Excellent photo marra. Many thanks

Quite rare to see a 6 wheeler Alpha. Do you know if the truck has been stretched from a tractor unit or was it bought like that from new

Kindest regards
CG

Hi CG :smiley:

As soon as I saw that photo from norfolktrucker, I knew that the lorry was familiar. There was a lot of 6 wheel Alpha’s ran by owner drivers down on the Mendips, mostly on Tarmac or Hanson franchises. That one is a Bristol reg. My best guess is that it was a ‘Tarmac’ one but it could have been either… I’m also guessing that it’s quite a high powered one - it wasn’t, nor isn’t now, unusual to have 400 horses in a six wheeler because of the terrain…

Hello Piston broke

Many thanks for that information marra and correcting me on my thoughts of it been stretched :wink:

Kindest regards
CG

truckfing:
I am a bit upset now CG, there were two 6 wheelers in those pictures I posted but you
didn’t notice them. I do not have a picture of that tiger coloured one you mention but
here are few more 6s. They were very popular on mixer work, maybe a bit more than
tippers, and not as common as eight wheelers but still plenty around in the day.

Hello truckfing

I did not mean to upset you marra. I did notice them but I forgot to put in my post earlier “Quite rare to see a 6 wheel Alpha tipper

I value every post and I read and study every photo and text posted

Many thanks for those excellent photos marra

Sorry about earlier marra

Kindest regards
CG

Muckaway:

dew:
Do we really need another rose tinted thread about how great the Foden’s supposedly were? I’m sure if they were as fantastic as some on here make out, they’d still be around now…

They were axed because Cat and ■■■■■■■ wouldn’t invest in developing Euro 4 and 5 engines. The Daf CFs I drive now are awful in comparison to the Alpha I had on smiths. Daf 8speed 'box is rubbish in comparison to the 12 speed Eaton, and the Cat motor would outpower Smiths CFs even having a 15 bhp disadvantage.
More importantly, my alpha couldn’t go into London :laughing:

Hello Muckaway

Many thanks marra for that interesting information.

I’m glad to hear that someone else agrees with me that Foden’s where (and still are) a far better truck than DAF’s

Long Live Foden’s (especially the Alpha!)

Kindest regards
CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Muckaway:

dew:
Do we really need another rose tinted thread about how great the Foden’s supposedly were? I’m sure if they were as fantastic as some on here make out, they’d still be around now…

They were axed because Cat and ■■■■■■■ wouldn’t invest in developing Euro 4 and 5 engines. The Daf CFs I drive now are awful in comparison to the Alpha I had on smiths. Daf 8speed 'box is rubbish in comparison to the 12 speed Eaton, and the Cat motor would outpower Smiths CFs even having a 15 bhp disadvantage.

Hello Muckaway

I’m glad to hear that someone else agrees with me that Foden’s where (and still are) a far better truck than DAF’s

Kindest regards
CG

Most of the hauliers this way that ran Foden Alpha’s won’t touch the Daf CF tippers.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Muckaway:

dew:

Hello Muckaway

Kindest regards
CG

Most of the hauliers this way that ran Foden Alpha’s won’t touch the Daf CF tippers.
Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave

Many thanks for your post marra

What are they running now then? Have they tried the “so called” Foden replacement, Hino?

Kindest regards
CG

M6 today

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Dave the Renegade:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Muckaway:

dew:

Hello Muckaway

Kindest regards
CG

Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave

What are they running now then? Have they tried the “so called” Foden replacement, Hino?

Kindest regards
CG

C W Griffiths have Volvo’s CG, John Williams has a new Scania and Ivor Duggan replaced his with a Mercedes Axor.
Cheers Dave.

truckfing:
M6 today

Hello truckfing

Excellent photos marra

If I hadn’t have known better, I would have sworn that the Foden Alpha 8 wheeler is an ex Viv S Lightfoot from Silloth

But, Lightfoot’s have never ran 8 wheelers and never ran Foden’s (sadly)

But, the colours are very similar to Lightfoots (see photo)

Kindest regards
CG

Dave the Renegade:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Dave the Renegade:

■■■■■■■■ gill:

Muckaway:

dew:

Hello Muckaway

Kindest regards
CG

Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave

Kindest regards
CG

C W Griffiths have Volvo’s CG, John Williams has a new Scania and Ivor Duggan replaced his with a Mercedes Axor.
Cheers Dave.

Hello Dave

Many thanks for that marra.

Interesting to see none have got Hino’s

Kindest regards
CG

here’s a photo of Alex Smiles of Sunderland Alpha taken in2002, Scotties truck which I put on the timber thread and lastly the Alpha belonging to Conley’s which was according to Andrew Conley the penultimate eight wheeler to leave the factory, the last one went to Transport museum at Leyland.

prattman:
here’s a photo of Alex Smiles of Sunderland Alpha taken in2002, Scotties truck which I put on the timber thread and lastly the Alpha belonging to Conley’s which was according to Andrew Conley the penultimate eight wheeler to leave the factory, the last one went to Transport museum at Leyland.

Hello prattman

Excellent photos marra. Many thanks

Yes, the very last Foden Alpha is at the Transport Museum at Leyland, not very far away from where it was made.

Is the Andrew Conley photo taken from a Trucking magazine article marra?

If so, which issue and what article is the photo featured in please as I’d love to own a copy myself of the article

If you can give me some details please, I will be able to look it up on Ebay.

Kindest regards
CG

■■■■■■■■ gill:

prattman:

Hello prattman

Yes, the very last Foden Alpha is at the Transport Museum at Leyland, not very far away from where it was made.

Is the Andrew Conley photo taken from a Trucking magazine article marra?

If so, which issue and what article is the photo featured in please as I’d love to own a copy myself of the article

If you can give me some details please, I will be able to look it up on Ebay.

Kindest regards
CG

Hello prattman

After looking at the photo again, I see there is a magazine date and issue.

Please ignore my pervious post

Kindest regards
CG

A small line up :smiley:

image.jpg

Quarry shot :smiley:

M6 today.

■■■■■■■■ gill:
MCS For Hire

August 2010

Anyone know if this one is still going strong?

Kindest regards
CG

this foden is ex morrisons super maket

Evening,

:grimacing:

bradfordlad9999:

■■■■■■■■ gill:
MCS For Hire

August 2010

Anyone know if this one is still going strong?

Kindest regards
CG

this foden is ex morrisons super maket

Hello Bradfordlad9999

Thankyou for that marra

Kindest regards
CG

scarren:
Evening,

:grimacing:

Hello scarren

Kindest regards
CG

ERF Lover:
A small line up :smiley:

Hello ERF Lover

Excellent photo marra. Many thanks

That Scammell does take you back doesn’t it. When was the photo taken marra?

Kindest regards
CG