Flexibility

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a common or stupid question! How flexible are agencies when looking for work as a new driver? I work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts at the moment so couldn’t be available at the same time each week. Is it worth me getting my license now and getting some experience on my days off or should I save up and get my license when I’m ready to quit so I’m not leaving a big gap between passing and actually starting work?

Thanks,
Rick
(Over thinking things as always…)

Hi you would have to be careful with your working hours as you will be restricted to how many of your days off you can work. However I found (at least with the agency I used) that they did things fairly week to week. Towards the end of each week they would send a text asking for availability for the following week, but if they were desperate to book the work they would ring me straight away. I would imagine if they work in a similar way that this arrangement would be OK…the only issue there could possibly be is that sometimes they would prefer to place me for a week somewhere so that the client company didn’t have to do an induction ever other day. They were flexible with this though and placed me a few times in companies for Tues-Fri when I couldn’t work a Monday etc. In general I suppose it will boil down to how desperate they are for a driver to cover particular shifts.

Check out some of the other threads on here for the usual stuff to do, not to do etc. ref agencies.

Perfect, thanks!

I guess my question was a pretty general agency question rather than driving specific. I’ve only ever worked for one company so am a bet new to the whole finding work thing. My current job is office based, would that effect the hours I’m allowed to drive? I’ll do some reading up on that.

Thanks,
Rick

I work part-time in an office and give my available remaining days to an agency for driving work. As said already, agencies tends to be flexible and will try to find work matching your availability. If they have a big contract then you may find you get regular placements with a single company. Remember, the relationship between you and the agency is for mutual benefit - it is in their interests to be flexible around your availability, just as it is in your interests to be flexible to their preferences too if you can.

Familiarise yourself with the drivers hours regulations so you understand how often you’ll be able to drive. The main sticking point tends to be that you must have 45 hours continuous rest each week, which basically means a couple of days off. You can reduce this in alternate weeks to 24 hours rest, as long as you make up the shortfall between your actual rest and the 45 hour requirement within three weeks. This is paraphrased, read the actual rules for the precise requirements

There are also maximum weekly working limits, and a rolling average weekly limit too.

Your current job counts as ‘other work’ so counts towards your working limits. If you’re already doing 4 x 12 hour shifts then you’ll be running close to the rolling weekly average limit which I think is 48 hours (excluding rest, breaks, POA etc), and without much room before you hit the 60 hour maximum working week so your scope may be limited. I’m not an expert, but I’d be reading the small print on the rolling average closely if I were you.

Current job is WTD
Driving is RT(WT)R
The two do not get added together

Current job counts as other work for tacho regs
Daily and weekly rest rules must be adhered to
Current job must be officially recorded in any fixed week if driving under EU regs

I’ll get reading up on the working hours. Because I’m working 4 days on/off, some calendar weeks I work 48 hours and others I work 36 so I’m sure I’ll be able to fit something in there. The weekly rest shouldn’t be too much of a problem to work around. I think I should be able to get in two days driving and still have 60 straight hours off each week (driving after day shifts only).

Thanks again guys. It sounds like agency work is pretty flexible so I’ll get on with it!