Flatbed work advice

Advice for flatbed work, my gaffer has hired out a trailer for a few weeks, see how the work is. Never done it and wondering from you experienced lads what tips to take on board. I think we are running stuff out of Port Talbot Steelworks, so presumable steel.
Please include sheeting as i have no F’ing clue :stuck_out_tongue:

With Flat-trailer i recommend a second Topic about Load Security.

But then. Have plenty Chains and Straps with You. Fly Sheets and a Ladder

Blimey - have we gone back to the 60s?

Tell your gaffer that you need some training, some good chains and straps, and PPE before you handle steel. If it comes off and kills someone he will be standing in the dock.

I do know that i’ve got lots of chains and straps, unsure about sheeting just yet. I have got a net lol? :wink:

The T.C wil lbe very interested if it comes off.your gaffer will have company in the dock,yours.If you havent done it before you need relevant training and its doubtful if it will count towards your DCPC.

If steel it will only require a drip (sheet not driver :laughing: ) and not the full 3 sheets as we used to do on higher loads.

Tie the front two corners tight first after rolling up to trailer side cape.
Pull the back corners back as tight as poss, taking in all the excess flap.

Really mate, you will need somebody to show you how to tie up the corners, and put it on neatly, there is a technique, and I am not the best at explaining things :blush:
Hope you manage ok, at least it will keep you fit, I had a flat a few months ago and thought I could still chuck sheets up as I did 30 yrs ago, …I could not. :smiley:

No chains involved with Port Talbot’s work. It’s all coil strip and your trailer will be a coil well trailer. Ratchets, straps & webbing and good sheets… and don’t upset anybody on the bays there. There’s another round of redundancies going to hit that place.

If using ratched and straps and webbing, make sure you protect them from chaffing or even cutting, I always have plenty carpet ofcuts with rubber backing to protect them from the steel, the rubber help to stop them from slipping.

dont forget a good coat, with hood, good boots for our wonderful uk weather. Always ask other drivers, or watch the way they rope, strap, chain and sheet, dont forget to always ask, better to be safe than sorry…good luck.

Thanks for all your great and helpful replies, ■■■■■■■■ bricks really but boss has said not to worry, he will show me a bit in the yard tomorrow morning (hes not a morning bloke so dont know how well that is going to go)
The chains are there simply as i dont know what will be next, and yes, i’ve heard the sheeting part is quite tough. Boots, hoody/jacket all at the ready.
How are Port Talbot about hi-viz :wink:

We used to have to sheet the empty trailer to keep it dry before going to load load plate steel, is that still the case ?

as others have said your fine with a drip sheet for most loads, this is easier and saves doing what I done loads when using 3 sheets of putting the front sheet on first then thinking ■■■■.

plenty of straps for steel as it can and will move given half a chance.

you may be lucky and not need to sheet up too.

JollyJack:
How are Port Talbot about hi-viz :wink:

Like the furnaces…bloody hot!