First on the scene

probably been discussed before,so my apologies if thats the case.
unfortunatley this week a driver that had just started for us died whilst loading his truck at immingham.it was found the poor bloke had a heart attack and died of natural causes.one of the other drivers had just driven into the teminal to load and found him at the side of the trailer and tried in vain with help from a couple of yard lads to give him cpr until the emergency services arrived.
this got me thinking,that not only in this case,but in the job we do in general that we are more likely to come across someone possibly involved in an accident or having took a bad turn that may need attention until proffesional help arrived.had this been me that went into the yard at the time i would have been pretty useless as i have no idea how to do cpr,and i would hate to think that someone that could be saved passed away when they could have been saved due to my ignorance.im now looking at doing a first aid course for that reason.
so do you think its better not to get involved in case you do more damage and risk being sued,or would you be able to offer assistance?

I’d not have a clue what to do, but from reading posts on here, if you do what you’ve been told and are trying to help to the best of your knowledge you cannot be sued if things go wrong. You’ve actually struck a chord with me on this one fella I’m going to look into doing a first aid course, as like you say we are in the environment where we are more likely to be faced with an accident situation and may be first on scene.

Condolences to the blokes family and friends

buck i would definatley get involved albeit with only my basic first aid skills but i would do what i could.

on the subject of your ignorance why not check out this link
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/ for those in england
or
http://www.firstaid.org.uk/ for those of us in scotland

may not cost very much but may help you some day

or ask at your work they may run some first aid courses if enough of u and ur workmates ask for one in light of what happened

Condolences to the blokes family and friends

I wonder how good the first aid courses listed for the periodic driver cpc are :question:
7 hours towards the 35 if they are any good :bulb:

it’s a good idea for everyone to know first aid, in whatever job they do.
but this can create it’s own set of problems.
most of us will help, and we know our limits, but there are the ones who make out they know more than they really do. i’ve worked with a few. they have the same attitude as arrogant security men, and rooky coppers “i’m in a uniform, look at me, look at me”, “i know cpr, look at me, look at me”. when they are really just people with big gobs, who put lives at risk.
if we could give training to just the right calibre people it would be great, but it’s not practicle.

i think an advanced first aid course, for the whole cpc would be good. they could be registered and be available to assist in the event of any incident.

ROG:
I wonder how good the first aid courses listed for the periodic driver cpc are :question:
7 hours towards the 35 if they are any good :bulb:

If there was a compulsory first aid course in the driver CPC it would make more sense. I am not suggesting 7 hours, you could learn brain surgery in that time, but an hour or two would benefit everyone.

I would be useless if I was the first one on the scene too, but a few basic tips learned must help others occasionally.

This post is close to my heart as my Brother collapsed at work, one of his staff who found him gave him CPR until the paramedics arrived, unfortunately for him it was not enough as his brain was already starved of oxygen. :frowning:

THOUGHTS TO THE FAMILY

limeyphil:
most of us will help, and we know our limits, but there are the ones who make out they know more than they really do. i’ve worked with a few. they have the same attitude as arrogant security men, and rooky coppers “i’m in a uniform, look at me, look at me”, “i know cpr, look at me, look at me”. when they are really just people with big gobs, who put lives at risk.
if we could give training to just the right calibre people it would be great, but it’s not practicle.

i think an advanced first aid course, for the whole cpc would be good. they could be registered and be available to assist in the event of any incident.

Don’t judge all people in uniform as having an attitude when it comes to first aid. I wear a uniform and know what i’m doing when it comes to CPR, I should do, I’ve been a first aider for 25 years of which 15 of them I’ve been a red cross member and first aid trainer. :wink:

The Highway Man:

limeyphil:

Don’t judge all people in uniform as having an attitude when it comes to first aid. I wear a uniform and know what i’m doing when it comes to CPR, I should do, I’ve been a first aider for 25 years of which 15 of them I’ve been a red cross member and first aid trainer. :wink:

I would have thought that basic first aid would be part of the training required to do your job.

Wheel Nut:
If there was a compulsory first aid course in the driver CPC it would make more sense. I am not suggesting 7 hours, you could learn brain surgery in that time, but an hour or two would benefit everyone.

I would be useless if I was the first one on the scene too, but a few basic tips learned must help others occasionally.

This post is close to my heart as my Brother collapsed at work, one of his staff who found him gave him CPR until the paramedics arrived, unfortunately for him it was not enough as his brain was already starved of oxygen. :frowning:

Wheel Nut as far as I’m aware there is training on both first aid and assessing emergency situations is included in the drivers CPC. Of course it’s effectivness will only be as good as the quality of training supplied and the williness of those taking part to take it in.

Am i right in thinking that if you dial 999 (or 112) to summon an ambulance, once the operator has done that they will then put you through to someone who will calmly talk you through what you can do to help?

Also, if your mobile phone shows no signal, don’t panic & think you can’t make an emergency call. You might well be able to as when you dial 999 if there is no signal from your own company, it will search for any available signal from another provider and use that.

The Highway Man:

limeyphil:

i don’t judge them all in that manner, but you get a few who give the rest a bad name. where as most do a very good job. it’s the same with some truck drivers." i have a big truck, and i’m a big bully." or you have the majority “i have a big truck, and i’m courteous, and thoughtful of other road users.” but the first example is the one people remember.

muckles:
I would have thought that basic first aid would be part of the training required to do your job.

We are taught emergency first aid which is to a higher standard than the basic level. Personally i’m an advanced first aider with extended skills, (defib, oxygen therapy etc)
For those who are interested in first aid and have spare time on their hands. The British Red Cross are always looking for first aiders, as long as you give up 10 hours a year covering public duties, you get all you first aid training for free. You’ll find you enjoy the craic on duties and you’ll do more than the 10 hours that’s required of you. :wink:

Quite a few years ago I did a first aid at work and then advanced first aid. After passing both courses, along with everyone else, the examiners last words were “Now you know what to do, Don’t, you could be sued”. What was the point in doing it when they advised you not to do anything.

What a load of rubbish! I always inform my students that providing they carry out first aid as they’ve been taught, they’ve nothing to fear. :wink:

This stuff about being sued for helping someone is just an urban myth.

Everone should know some basic first aid, even if it’s knowing what not to do. Most of it is common sense anyway. The important thing is not to panic and to make sure that someone dials 999 PDQ.

Actually I am not sure that we are more likely than others to come across a casualty. In 40 odd years it only happened to me twice and both were a long time ago.

Santa:
This stuff about being sued for helping someone is just an urban myth.

Agreed

NO-ONE has EVER been sued for this