First invasion of london

best thing is stay away from London[aka craphole]

Always makes me laugh about drivers that won’t do London or hate London.
Ask most where they have been and it’s somewhere like Enfield or Dagenham which is just inside and and motorway nearly all the way.

kr79:
Ask most where they have been and it’s somewhere like Enfield or Dagenham which is just inside and and motorway nearly all the way.

Anywhere within the M25 is full of A’Holes. [emoji6]

London is just a series of towns cobbled together. If you drive in towns and cities already then London really is no issue. For some reason over the years it’s been built up by certain drivers into this mythical hell for lorry drivers. It isn’t. Its easy.

switchlogic:
London is just a series of towns cobbled together. If you drive in towns and cities already then London really is no issue. For some reason over the years it’s been built up by certain drivers into this mythical hell for lorry drivers. It isn’t. Its easy.

Exactly so, but to be honest if certain “drivers” keep building it up as a big issue I can keep being paid a premium to go there where others won’t :wink:

I’ll keep my “one hit chepstow and back empty”
Ta very much

I’d do a hundred trips into London rather than one dose of Brum :laughing:

OVLOV JAY:

Swaps you then , London is a hole of a place also Madchester

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F-reds:

switchlogic:

Exactly so, but to be honest if certain “drivers” keep building it up as a big issue I can keep being paid a premium to go there where others won’t :wink:

Exactly. I’m fairly new at class 2 and I get paid the same as a lot of class 1 drivers because the company can’t get drivers for London work all day for love nor money. OK it’s not much fun when you include the long hours and a 6-wheel beaver-tail with a manual box as well,but I’ll take their beer-tokens all day long.
I’ve done work for a depot out in the sticks and it’s still roads with cars each side and narrow lanes,same s**t different scenery. What you haven’t got is suicidal people everywhere. The more you drive a city the easier it gets :smiley:

I learned how to drive an artic in London…Never really thought that much of it.
Passed test in Hastings on the Monday July 2009, on the Wednesday I was fully employed and taking a new XF105 and tri-axle curtainsider to Makro Croydon and Makro Acton(Park Royal)…I was operating out of Newhaven, so was dipping in and out of London 3-4 days a week, every week…I knew no better, it was my first driving job.
I loved it, the cut and shove was all a game to me…18 months later I had had enough…Sold up and moved North…Not because of driving…But the SE of England is over-populated.

I have been to London once in the last 5 years, actually no…It was Dagenham, so no where near.

I wouldnt care if I had to do it again, just more knobheads per square mile thats all.

Do drivers really tell firms they won’t go to London or wherever.
If I told my boss I wasn’t going to a certain place I’d be looking for a new job and quite right too.

OVLOV JAY:

God yes, I thought I was the only one."

kr79:
If I told my boss I wasn’t going to a certain place I’d be looking for a new job and quite right too.

This^

It’s a job. You’re paid to shift gear from a to b. A is always the customer, today b happens to be London :unamused:

kr79:

There’s one at our place that does exactly that :unamused: ■■■■■■■ joke it is. I don’t mind doing a London now and again, keeps you on your toes and some of the sights are a sight to behold when the suns out :wink:

martinviking:

kr79:

'cos all the Londoners have moved out!

albion1938:

martinviking:

kr79:

'cos all the Londoners have moved out!

I think you’re right, full of Taliban & Scroungers now [emoji6]

I cut my teeth at 21 driving an artic across to east london every night for couple of years, when you could go straight through middle of trafalgar square etc good fun. As the saying goes if you can drive in London you can drive anywhere.
If you can’t drive a lorry in London then you’re a plastic driver.
Used to prepare you for driving in cities like milan,paris,etc which are even worse.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

kr79:

There’s one at our place that does exactly that :unamused: [zb] joke it is. I don’t mind doing a London now and again, keeps you on your toes and some of the sights are a sight to behold when the suns out :wink:

It gives me the hump. I don’t actually mind that London, but people not taking their turn at the unpopular stuff means that everybody else has to carry them.

It is almost a phobia with some drivers. If you can’t get the lorry to where it’s needed you should give up the seat for someone who can.

All this talk of London. What do you guys class as London. We regularly do the cash and carrys and booze storage, but never usually far from north and south circulars. Not the congestion zone really although I have once done bidvest near Chelsea bridge, which skirted the edge of the congestion zone which is the most central i have done.

I think a lot of old hands forget that for people who are 1) New to lorry driving, 2) Have little clue as to the geography of London and its road network and 3) perhaps have never even visited the place before, London can indeed be a terrifying prospect.

18 months ago, I had just got my class two, did a few local jobs on agency then landed a permanent number and was almost immediately sent from the North East to London with 10 drops. I had never even done a single night out! :laughing: I remember it as one hell of an eye opener, a constant ordeal; two days spent in full on panic mode. :laughing:

18 months later and I now take artics in about once a fortnight, not inside the congestion zone but sometimes close up to it and while it has become a lot easier as I now have a certain amount of knowledge of the roads and where we deliver to I still breathe a sigh of relief when I’m on my way out. :smiley: