First day on an artic

Was finishing for the weekend at 6pm yesterday when Stevie, the Transport manager, asked me if I was doing anything today. They must have been short of drivers because he asked if I wanted to get a bit of experience on an artic…

Well I wasn’t doing anything that can’t wait, and the weather forecast was rubbish, so I agreed to go in this morning for a 7am start :frowning: .

Started with a run round to one of the airport bonds with a load that the night shift had brought up from London, so far so good. Tipped that and went back to our depot for breakfast. Then took a different unit, although they are all the same: MAN with all the toys and automatic transmission. Took a loaded aircraft pallet down to Prestwick airport where I had my first reverse. Not too difficult, onto a shutter door with plenty of room for maonoeuvring. Rollers up, and off with the bin.

Then off to another part of Prestwick airport for a load going to IBM in Greenock. Bit of a wait because the stuff had only recently arrived from wherever by plane. Once loaded, set off for Greenock. Nice run up the coast through my home town of Largs. Didn’t see anyone I knew to show off my new wheels to… typical! Didn’t want to risk going by my house because the streets are wayyyyyy too tight and cars tend to park both sides and on every corner.

Arrive at IBM and am told to park on bay 3, which has a wheel lock system! I was expecting that, because I’ve been there a few times with the 17 tonner. After 3 or 4 shunts, managed to get on the bay, straight[ish]. That was with plenty of space in front of me for shunting and straightening up. Wouldn’t like to have to do it in a tight yard!!

After tipping at IBM, I pick up 4 pallets from them for Glasgow airport, and head off through Greenock [remembering the low bridge at the foot of Baker Street, which I can get under with the rigid!] and back to Glasgow airport.

So it went fairly straight forward. I had to phone the office a few times though. Once because a warning light kept coming on, followed by a message on the readout saying “engine brake failure”. I was told not to worry about it because it is just the computer and they all do that■■? Also wasn’t sure how to work the handle for the trailer suspension when raising/lowering/levelling, but have got that sorted.

Altogether it was an enjoyable day, apart from the first half hour when I was sure the trailer was going to fall off or I was going to run over a parked car, etc…
Not sure I like automatic transmission though. As with a car, I feel I have more control if I decide what gear I want to be in, and not a computer doing it for me. Kept going for the clutch and gear lever anyway…

So roll on the day when I get a proper job, and I can tell certain warehouse staff at a yellow and red depot at Glasgow airport where to go !!!

Al.

Well done mate a nice post about a good days work , i willbe waiting for
your next post any chance of a fewpictures? TA MATE

Glad you had a good first artic run and enjoyable day :smiley: .
Also I hope you have plenty more enjoyable days and
some pics would be good

Guess I better throw my camera in the kit bag next week then !! Wouldn’t have been much use today with the shaky hand though…

Al.

Well done you seemed to get through it without major hiccups. :wink: :laughing: Did you enjoy it that is the main thing? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well done, sounds like a good day … … … Let us know how you get on your next one … …

A the 1st run out in an artic.I’m glad it went ok for you al,wait till your asked to back onto the bay’s at IBM when it’s busy( hope i’m there camera at hand) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: good read m8.

Just make sure you stay away fae Erskine area,they tend to get held up there. :laughing:

Great post! do you know how many of us envy you :imp: :smiley:

Nice one Al. Any idea when you’ll get another run out in the artic?
:smiley:

Nice one Al. Any idea when you’ll get another run out in the artic?

Well they’re dragging there heels over getting someone to replace me on the rigid, so I don’t really know when I will get out in an artic again. I’ve been doing a bit of shunting just to keep my hand in, but other than that they only seem to want me on an artic if I go in for overtime on a Saturday.
I’m not keen on that because I reckon 5 days a week at work is enough, and also I get the feeling they are taking the michael a bit since they know they can get me to work for class 2 money on a Saturday, but if they get a “proper” class 1 driver in it will cost them more.
So until they give me class 1 full time [or I find someone else that will], it looks like I am stuck with class 2. No big deal, I quite enjoy the class 2 work; but I think I would enjoy class 1 money!!

Al.

Sounds like your first day on the artics was better than mine was when I made the big leap. Just remember, by the sounds of things you’re next in line for a class 1 job if one of the drivers leaves. It may be worth hanging around for. That way you can get your experience without having to learn a new job and cope with unfamiliar wagons all at once. Hope it all works out for you.

By the way, who are you driving for? Look out for a white Daf artic with Pentland Plants across the front in Purple and Gold. There’s only 1 artic and I’m the driver. Am often in your neck of the woods. So look out for me.