First day as a HGV driver!

I know agencies dont have the best reputation but I just wanted to say that I registered with a local agency on Thursday, we then had the long Easter wkend, I got a call on monday afternoon and I was driving tuesday at 6am! Ive worked at the same place today and Im also there tomorrow and friday. I have a Class 2 licence but Im driving 7.5T, I dont have a problem with that because experience is more important to me at the moment although I wish I was on Class 2 money Im working with another driver delivering cookers and ovens to home addresses. We were in Bristol yesterday and Surrey/West London today. 6am-2pm which is fine by me, I dont mind early starts, they try to finish earlier on friday. We only do between 6-8 drops per day, most are within 3-5 miles of each other. Four drops tomorrow around Hertfordshire but were installing them too
I have`nt really got myself into any bother yet, did have to ask somebody to move a car so I could turn round in a dul-de-sac today though

Dakota:
I know agencies dont have the best reputation but I just wanted to say that I registered with a local agency on Thursday, we then had the long Easter wkend, I got a call on monday afternoon and I was driving tuesday at 6am! Ive worked at the same place today and Im also there tomorrow and friday. I have a Class 2 licence but Im driving 7.5T, I dont have a problem with that because experience is more important to me at the moment although I wish I was on Class 2 money Im working with another driver delivering cookers and ovens to home addresses. We were in Bristol yesterday and Surrey/West London today. 6am-2pm which is fine by me, I dont mind early starts, they try to finish earlier on friday. We only do between 6-8 drops per day, most are within 3-5 miles of each other. Four drops tomorrow around Hertfordshire but were installing them too
I have`nt really got myself into any bother yet, did have to ask somebody to move a car so I could turn round in a dul-de-sac today though

Hi Dakota, I have to say that I admire your attitude mate. :smiley:
Many newbies expect to drive the very best and biggest of what their shiny new licence allows, but many have become disillusioned when they faced reality. :wink:

IMHO, you’re off to a cracking start cos you’ve worked out the best way forward for yourself.
Trust me, cos with an attitude like yours, you’re bound to get where you want to be having already selected the very best route. :smiley:

Congratulations and good luck to you!!

Hi Dakota - I agree with Dave here this is definitely the best way forward. Many agencies try you out first on smaller trucks to see if you are reliable and dependable.

This also gives you the opprotunity to learn slowly which is by far the best way and you can also show the agency that you are trust worthy with other peoples vehicles

Good luck mate - I hope it all works out and that they give you a break on class 2 soon :sunglasses:

well done feller great stuff :sunglasses:

dieseldave:

Dakota:

Hi Dakota, I have to say that I admire your attitude mate. :smiley:
Many newbies expect to drive the very best and biggest of what their shiny new licence allows, but many have become disillusioned when they faced reality. :wink:

IMHO, you’re off to a cracking start cos you’ve worked out the best way forward for yourself.
Trust me, cos with an attitude like yours, you’re bound to get where you want to be having already selected the very best route. :smiley:

Congratulations and good luck to you!!

What he said!

I’m a class 2 driver as well and I will drive anything! Even Transits and guess what? I’m always busy! And my agency give me first shout on anything interesting.

If you show a positive attitude you will get first bite of the cherry on any good runs and you’ll be looked after.

Warren T. Claim:
I’m a class 2 driver as well and I will drive anything! Even Transits and guess what? I’m always busy! And my agency give me first shout on anything interesting.

If you show a positive attitude you will get first bite of the cherry on any good runs and you’ll be looked after.

Agreed mate. :smiley:

If you don’t mind me saying so, it’s this kind of attitude that will get you into the bigger vehicles.
Meanwhile, you’re racking up lots of invaluable experience like:

• finding your way about
  • getting from one place to another in a reasonable time, but without being reckless
  • securing loads and avoiding damage to customers’ goods
  • dealing with customers

Or in short, becoming proficient as a driver, rather than just a person who can get a vehicle to go from A to B.

Trust me you newbie guys, your day will come, but all in good time. :wink: :smiley:

While you are on the agency you will be learning all different things with lots of different companies.

I have worked for 35 different companies in the last 12 months!

One job always leads to another, for example, I got a class 2 job hauling timber because I was carrying steel the previous week and it’s a similar thing to strap down. The next week it was glass because it’s a similar discipline.

In the last year I have gained experience using Range changers, splitters, slapovers, autos and combinations of the first three.

Every day you will learn something new and gain valuble experience which employers want.

Well done for getting your foot on the first rung of the ladder! The easy part was passing your test, the hard part is learning the career!

I am on tippers this week firm asked for me by name just try to get along with everyone keep mouth shut ,ears and eyes open.The actual driving is only about 20 per cent of the job.

Thanks for all the replies…

We had to use a 3.5T sprinter van the last two days because our truck broke down 3 miles into thursdays journey! It started up eventually but we couldnt risk using it with the service light now on. The sprinter van is easier around residential streets and its not limited to 54mph but at the same time I would rather get more experience driving an actual HGV…

Not sure where I am nxt week. I was told that the company had given my agency good feedback though so hopefully theyll ask for me again. At least now I have some driving hours to my name and Ive got way more confidence behind the wheel

Nice on Dakota, I’ve only had my Class1 for a year and I have to admit that I struck lucky with my agency. Got sent out of a Class1 job after 2 weeks of getting the license, haven’t looked back since. I try and do each job as best as i can and so far been asked back to a vast majority of the places i worked for. Keep it up and good luck, it all comes together when you’re least expecting it…

Just a bit of an update really…

In my second week for the agency I did one day at a hire business which was quite slow and boring and then two days for a garden centre. I quite enjoyed working for the garden centre, 3 drops each day in a 7.5T. I went as far as Wales the first day and the second day Manchester. The work was fairly straight forwards, had to be careful getting 6.5ft tall trolleys full of plants on and off the tail-lift though. Friday afternoon coming back thru Birmingham on the M6 was really fun!
Last week I did three days at the first company I worked for, Rangemaster. Usually 6-8 drops nationwide delivering highend cookers, heavy lifting but its done correctly with the right equipment so fairly easy. Its double manned which means you dont do more than 2-2.5 hrs driving. I also get paid for a minimum of 8 hrs, two of the three days I only worked 6am-11.00am and got paid til 2pm but I guess this is standard for any agency? Not working today (monday) but I had a call about an hr ago and Im going back to Rangemaster tomorrow, possibly the rest of the week but not sure yet. Ive also decided to apply for a couple of full time jobs Ive seen becuase although my agency are looking after me pretty good I want to work 5 days a week, every week which is quite unlikely with an agency but they said works picks up with longer contracts in the summer? I take what agencies say with a pinch of salt
Ive worked for three different companie so far and roughly 10 days out of 15, could have been slightly more but the hire business was too far for me too travel so I said no thanks. I think Ive struck lucky with this agency because Im registered with four or five and the others are a complete waste of space

Hi Dakota just to say reading ur post puts things in perspective im defo a newbie as only passed recently but will defo follow ur example and take anything on hopefully will be posting soon with news of jobs for me but only time will tell good luck and all the best but i dont think u gonna need it :smiley: :smiley:

Excellent positive news mate. :sunglasses:

Good for you Dakota. :wink:

good luck mate :smiley: