Farm H&S..

Went to load oats on a farm today.
Normally they load with a Telescopic Loading shovel (JCB,Manitou,etc) or an augur.
Not this farm. They had a fork lift similar to the ones that lift containers, and oats loaded in boxes.
PICT0017.JPG
No problem so far.
Each box contained about 5 ish tonnes of oats (I loaded 6 boxes and had 28700kg on board)
But then the boxes had one side that was a door locked with two hooks secured with wooden pins.
The farmers son stood below the box to knock out the pins and then hit the hooks with a hammer from behind the box.He had to move sharpish when he hit the last pin
PICT0018.JPG
PICT0019.JPG
PICT0020.JPG.

When I asked him(the son) if he worried about being injured he said, " I do get worried when the pins pop open on their own" :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It was a quick load but at what cost, rather him than me !

BTW I was stood on the gantry at the front of the trailer well out of the way :smiley:

i once loaded wheat the same way…only problem was that the farmers son was not present. i had to do the hit and run! first box was the worst though…because you literally stood below it. all the others you could work at height.

im glad i dont drive tippers anymore!

Could well have been the same farm Happysack, farmer reckoned he was only one doing it this way in UK, although he knew a few in Ireland and Holland (where he got the idea from apparantly)

doesnt look familiar. it would have been 5 years ago at least. if i remember correctly it would have been in the north east, up as far as berwick.

drank a lot of lager since then, rotted my memory!

dont like the look of that not to mention all the itchy dust your going to get covered in :frowning:

Not too worried about H&S are many farmers; judging from the amount of bales stacked under high voltage cables…

sea frog:
dont like the look of that not to mention all the itchy dust your going to get covered in :frowning:

believe me i carried things a lot worse than that. a small coating of dust would sometimes be deemed a luxury. at least its not toxic!

sea frog:

Believe me , If the wind was blowing in the other direction I wouldnt have been stood there taking photos :exclamation: :wink:

The problem is these days drivers are/have been so wrapped up in h/s bulls…t, hi vis vests, orange flashing, lights,and other general nanny state lental eating crap that a lot wont be able to help themselves should they need to!
drivers have limited input into loading/tipping thse days with all the rules rules rules,once a chimp can be trained to read a sat nav they will be needed no more!

Moose, I dont believe in a lot of the H&S crap as you put it, I think a lot of it is just to give some office numpty that cant do anything else something to do.
However even a trained chimp can see that standing beneath a 5t box while you hit the door with a hammer isnt the safest thing in the world to do.
I dont mind getting my hands dirty to get the job done, but I draw the line when it affects MY safety.

ive seen boxes like that before but the ones i saw had a cable fixed to the tipping point so as the rear of the box went up the pins were pulled automaticly.
you’re lucky to still have catwalks toowise , we had a driver break his pelvis & wrist from trying to roll back his sheet,& slipped & fell so now the kneejerk reaction is all catwalk platforms have to go . this is fine but how do they expect us to get inside the body when a partition has to be moved or unblock the rear discharger ? if thats the rules then i wont be climbing an unsecure ladder to get there

MolePower:
ive seen boxes like that before but the ones i saw had a cable fixed to the tipping point so as the rear of the box went up the pins were pulled automaticly.
you’re lucky to still have catwalks toowise , we had a driver break his pelvis & wrist from trying to roll back his sheet,& slipped & fell so now the kneejerk reaction is all catwalk platforms have to go . this is fine but how do they expect us to get inside the body when a partition has to be moved or unblock the rear discharger ? if thats the rules then i wont be climbing an unsecure ladder to get there

We’re having our ladders removed and replaced with aircraft style steps to get into the body. Fine when tipping in the quarry but that was no good when I was tipping compost at a site to then go to our sandpit for building sand where there’s no access ladder. This and similar occurences have been raised but they’re still obsessed with “climbing into bodies is dangerous…” despite nobody ever having an accident.

We do get wrapped up in cotton wool and every generation will be able to do less and less. I have mentioned on another thread about bulk containers and the IFF boxes, to load these things, the driver had to open the roof hatches. This was done by climbing up the doors using the hinges, bolts and rivets as steps, we improved things by fitting Heath Robinson ladders on the doors, some containers just had a couple of bits of round bar welded between the stiffeners as hand holds.

As H&S got more important, we were designing new ways and had to use an approved ladder bolted onto the doors. The standards got higher until we get to today with safety rails tank ladders or full width staircases with bannisters and treads.

Even that is not enough for the H&S and drivers are not allowed to access the tank without safety harnesses and catch netting. Even in many steel works the driver is not allowed on his trailer to strap or chain loads.

It worries me where it will all end :exclamation:

Interbulk Ladder.JPG

Lift Tank Ladder.JPG