Exporting tractor units

Put one of our tractor units up for sale on truck trader. and just got a call from some bloke in Turkey.
So if he actually buys it, how do we go about exporting it?
What are the pit falls?

Any other useful advice would be appreciated.

Plenty will just rock up with a carrier bag of cash and let’s just say this makes the paperwork, er, very straightforward.

Own Account Driver:
Plenty will just rock up with a carrier bag of cash and let’s just say this makes the paperwork, er, very straightforward.

I’m sure they will, and if we have the money I’m sure my boss will be happy to let them drive off :laughing: but I don’t want to end up owing HMRC or somebody like that a load of wedge because I didn’t fill out form xyz before it went.

No problems exporting trucks, especially if overland. Just raise an invoice as normal - with a Turkish address no VAT needs to be added, let him pay & drive it away. Try to get a company letterhead from him and if possible a shipping note / ferry docket to prove to HMRC it’s left the country. Also fill out the export section of the V5.

Thank you, both exporters have gone quiet, they were very keen on the exact date of registration, one from Cyprus told me they only allowed to import trucks less than 12 year old and as it was a 2003 truck the month was important, makes me wonder if the Turkish guy was looking at sending to Cyprus as well.

The turkish part of Cyprus drives on the left so a rhd truck would make sense