EXPLOSION

Why does it say on certain fuel tanks to turn off the night heaters 3 minutes before fueling up incase of explosion, I’ve fueled up loads of times with the night heater on and i’m not dead un less i am and they have trucknet in the afterlife.Is it incase someone puts petrol in instead of diesel :blush:

Petrol, gas and other such vapours may exist on fuel forecourts and it is a precaution to prevent such incidents from happening. After all its a naked flame burning away. Just because you didn’t blow up the last time you fuelled up it’s by no means certain you won’t next time, so turn it off in case I’m on the pump next to you.

Grumpygraeme:
After all its a naked flame burning away.

Oh right :unamused:

I’d be much more concerned about the chav who just filled up his Saxo complete with aftermarket sound system and extra bright lights wired in by his make Kev who once did a two day electric course as part of his young offenders resettlement package, waliking around the forecourt in his shellsuit.

Grumpygraeme:
Petrol, gas and other such vapours may exist on fuel forecourts and it is a precaution to prevent such incidents from happening. After all its a naked flame burning away. Just because you didn’t blow up the last time you fuelled up it’s by no means certain you won’t next time, so turn it off in case I’m on the pump next to you.

What night heater have you got? Is it made by zippo??

My night heaters are, and have always been, small diesel heaters. Diesel never has a naked flame or even a spark.

If forecourts were really so dangerous that anyone IN them can’t use a phone or leave their night heater on, then surely they’d blow up everytime somebody started their engine after fuelling or if someone was walking past on their phone?

A starter motor puts so much instant drain on a battery, it’s like a dead short, probably create the biggest spark possible from your car, lets hope you never start your car next to me whilst I’m fuelling :open_mouth:

Don’t be so naive :unamused:

waynedl:
My night heaters are, and have always been, small diesel heaters. Diesel never has a naked flame or even a spark

that’s got to be the best quote of the year :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

if there is no flame please explain how it gets hot then :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

wildfire:

waynedl:
My night heaters are, and have always been, small diesel heaters. Diesel never has a naked flame or even a spark

that’s got to be the best quote of the year :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

if there is no flame please explain how it gets hot then :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Does that mean your engine has a fire in it then?

My central heating runs on diesel, and I can definitely see a flame through the site glass!

A night heater does burn diesel under pressure and produces a flame but it’s enclosed so you cannot see it, however on a badly maintained night heater I have seen flames, smoke and sparks coming from it’s exhaust under the cab, and you don’t want that on a forecourt where petrol is being pumped.

DJC:

wildfire:

waynedl:

Yes it does, well it’s an explosion at the peak of the compression stroke.

DJC:

wildfire:

waynedl:

regardless to whether you use petrol. diesel or gas all fuels have to BURN to produce power, in combustion a fuel produces a flame, so to your question the answer is yes there are flames/fire in your engine :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

There is a clue in the name Internal Combustion Engine.

From Eberspacher website:-
eberspacher.com/download-cen … aters.html

When the heater is switched on, the control lamp in the
control unit lights up.
The fan starts up in the fan stage „LOW“. The glow plug
starts with a 3 second delay. After approx. 50 seconds
the fuel supply starts and the fuel / air mixture in the
combustion chamber ignites.
The fan switches from fan stage „LOW“ to fan stage
„MEDIUM“. The glow plug is switched off after 130 seconds,
when a stable flame has formed.
The fan switches from fan stage „MEDIUM“ to fan stage
„HIGH“.
In order to quickly reach the heater’s operating temperature,
the heater is run at a higher heating output of 5.5
kW („POWER“ control stage). If the heater’s operating
temperature has been reached, the heating output is
reduced to 4.8 kW („HIGH“ control stage). The length of
time for which the heater is run with an increased heating
output depends on the ambient temperature.

And with that

BOOM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Petrol has a higher flash point than diesel. I.e petrol burns a lot quicker and easier than diesel does.

Martin:

DJC:

wildfire:

waynedl:

Actually it’s the spark from the spark plug igniting the fuel and air mixture at the top of the compression stroke which then forces the piston back down the cylinder. That’s the only part of the induction, compression, power, exhaust cycle where the engine turns on its own momentum, the flywheel turns the engine on the other strokes.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Martin:

DJC:

wildfire:

waynedl:

Actually it’s the spark from the spark plug igniting the fuel and air mixture at the top of the compression stroke which then forces the piston back down the cylinder. That’s the only part of the induction, compression, power, exhaust cycle where the engine turns on its own momentum, the flywheel turns the engine on the other strokes.

Yep because diesels are well know for their use of spark plugs…

Yes ok on petrol engines

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Yes ok on petrol engines

Sorry I was only teasing :slight_smile:

In Diesel engines I think it’s how the fuel mixture mixes with the air that makes the spark am I right?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
In Diesel engines I think it’s how the fuel mixture mixes with the air that makes the spark am I right?

Yea is injected as vapor and as the piston comes up the air compresses therefore causing it to ignite isshh.

I’ll tag a link on.,

It twitters on about glow plugs but the bigger engines don’t have them.