Experience

Hi Everyone!!

Just a quick question, I am yet to start my training but I am looking to get my face out there. I know it is going to be tough for me to get not just because I’m new but because I’m 19 and have 4 points on my license :frowning: But anyway do you guys think it would be worth to contact a few local companies and offer to wash trucks, help out around the yard??

Any advice would be worth it.

Cheers,

Fraser

what training are you about to do? …its not the best start but not the end of the world either, good to at least see you are at least looking at a career that could potentially last you a lifetime,it will take time to prove you are not going to get more points, getting the experience around a company willing to employ you will help if you prove yourself, visiting a yard might help to show you are willing, and passionate, but if you let them down ,they will let you go. im sure the more experienced people on here will give you good advice.

Hi Fraser
Good idea get yourself about a bit see if they will let you help out but make sure they are genuine not just after cheap labour.
If you are reliable doing that will stand you in good stead when you pass,

I’m sure this would be a good road forward for you. It’s how it worked many years ago and it will work again.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Fraser, you can wash my truck if you want.

Seriously-4 points at 19 doesn’t look good at the moment.
Get a clean licence, then look at driving wagons.
What about approaching a company with a view of Fork Lift Driving & Shunting wagons around the yard, pallet line type company’s use Shunters/Forkies to load their wagons, you never know, it might be a way into driving full time.

19 and with 4 points, thats not going to sit well with the big boys. I hope they aren’t drink related as employers hate those. That being said, the door hasn’t closed on you just yet. You could start doing van work while you train or something like that just don’t get any more points!

Have you accumulated the 4 points within your first 2 years of driving? If so, you should hold off a bit until the 2 years have passed. If you get 6 points within 2 years of driving, you’ll get your licence completely revoked, which means the hassle of having to take your theory and practical test again.

Not meaning to ■■■■ on your bonfire or anything, but fully qualified, clean licence holding new drivers have difficulty getting jobs outside of agency work, so it doesn’t look too great for you at present.

As mentioned above, perhaps try out some van work in the mean time, save up for your class C training when hopefully you’ve had your licence a couple of years and given time for them 4 points to come off. Whatever you do though, don’t get anymore points!!

Thanks for getting back to me lads!

In terms of the training I would do my c first then as soon as I would do c+e.

Also yes my 4 points were in my first two years, after September 2015 I would have been driving for two years.

My mum is a director at a recruitment company so getting class c work would not be a problem as they take people up to 6 points. However I really want to drive c+e tippers that’s my main goal.

One other question also, do think learning in an auto would be ok?

Thanks,

Fraser

Hi fraiser iv just passed my class c and I’m just about to start on the tippers I can’t wait. Have u got your class c provisional yet. I no a few people that struggled with points to get there prov

Most trucks are automatics now, might be more manual tipper trucks about than in other areas of haulage, but any school can teach you in an auto to do the test then go out for a drive after in a truck with a manual range change and splitter gearbox. That’s the only reason we have kept our old 2005 Volvo Globetrotter so that you can have a go once you pass, or if you really want to do your test in a manual you can but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Tipper work is one of most dangerous areas of haulage to work within, take care and be alert.

Just got back from the test centre, here is Wesley who just passes an hour ago on an automatic and he is out tomorrow morning on an 8 speed range change (already had a go in it).

Know a young lad who went working in a haulage firm when he was 16 washing driving the folk truck around the yard etc firm put him through his C & CE now he is part time driving part time in the office

So could be a good idea but 4 point at 19 that not good although easy to do my kids are older than you & the most I have ever had is 3 :laughing: but was good or never caught :laughing: :laughing: & yep did ride bikes as well have a full licence for that

So if your mam is in the recruitment office she will look after you :wink: :wink: head start on most others

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate the advice!

However I currently on have an auto car license so will only ever be able to drive auto trucks when I pass that too.

Just out of curiosity how common is class 2 autos? I never come accross any it seems to be only manual

Cheers

truckerfraz:

However I currently on have an auto car license so will only ever be able to drive auto trucks when I pass that too.

Just out of curiosity how common is class 2 autos? I never come accross any it seems to be only manual

Cheers

There are some I have driven a couple but a lot are still manual

Just being nosy ( typical woman I know ) why only an auto car :question:

truckerfraz:

Cheers

I’ve only ever driven two Class 2 autos and that a was 63 Ivecco and a 08 MAN since passing my test. The rest have all bee manual.

just went for an auto for quickness, was a bit silly now.

This poses an interesting question. If you pass cat C you obviously can only drive autos.
If you then retake your car test in a manual, can you then apply to remove the cat C restriction, or do you have to have the manual B before the C (if you followed that!)

ROG - where are you!!

What were the 4 points for? Employers will take that into consideration.

the 4 points were for speeding :frowning: been a silly boy I have really learnt from my mistake and hopefully employers will take that into consideration.
I can only get class 2 work with agencies.

Actually, forget the above scenario - have realised that no one in their right mind should do that ! Extra money, and imagine the embarrassment of passing Cat C then doing something stupid and failing Cat B in a manual.

In your shoes I would do the test in a manual. Plenty of people still pass in manual trucks, and while it is harder it would benefit you to have the license to drive either. It’s perfectly achievable - I did rigid and artic tests in manuals and it’s just one more thing to get used to.

I can’t help wondering if any trainers out there have acquired any straight 6 manual trucks since the rules relaxed a bit recently; IMHO that would be the idea vehicle for you. I’d imagine that most are replacing manuals with auto’s like the rest of the industry though so probably wishful thinking…! The next easiest is probably straight 6 with splitter which I know some have.

so hopefully my c+e employer will just give me that chance. I have a company in mind I think I would like to work for so I am going to give them a call and see if they need any help around the yard, just get me out there.