ERF ECT with small wheels?

Overtaken today by a TDG ERF ECT pulling a UBC Container, nothing unusual with that, but I noticed that the wheels on the lift axle were the small ones like on Tinnelly DAF’s.

Never seen them before on an ERF/MAN are there any more, or am I just not seeing them?? :unamused: :unamused:

TC

They are normally an aftermarket conversion that save a little bit of weight over conventional tyres and axles.

We have an Estepe conversion and Klunk has got a Ford Transit stuck under his Volvo :stuck_out_tongue:

If you look closely you will also see that Van Bentums have a tiny pair of wheels hidden under the side skirts

The_Catman:
Overtaken today by a TDG ERF ECT pulling a UBC Container, nothing unusual with that, but I noticed that the wheels on the lift axle were the small ones like on Tinnelly DAF’s.

Never seen them before on an ERF/MAN are there any more, or am I just not seeing them?? :unamused: :unamused:

TC

It was a factory option on the ERC EC Series, and I think that the option carried over to the early MAN ERFs

Great, thanks for the answers, I knew that they save weight over full size wheels/tyres, but they spoil the look of the trucks :frowning: :frowning:

TC