Elephant racing ;Tin hat on

Terry T:
I think every truck should be required to be fitted with adaptive cruise control and be limited to the same speed. This would stop them creeping up on each other and also maintain a safe separation distance.

You could get them all set to same speed but as drive tyres wear so your speed will drop off, not to mention weight and gradient, so in the real world there will always be a speed differance.
A better idea maybe to put a driver in it. :slight_smile:

Terry T:
Our trucks do 90 but I’ve started running round at 84 with the Eco Roll set to +5. This is the lowest setting at which it will knock it into neutral when necessary and gets the engine brake on at 90 to prevent overspeeds.

I breeze past the Tesco crowd and the limiter heroes breeze past me. If I creep up on someone it’s pedal to the metal and goodnight vienna.

With fuel figures like you’ve quoted on the other thread Terry, I may have to join the bimbler club for mimsers. :slight_smile:

Doodling car drivers are a nuiscance and menace on the roads.The M5 is full of them.
In their own bubble world oblivious to the traffic around them.
Even worse in the summer as they do one hitters to Cornwall and Devon to save paying out the hotel money and not break up a long journey.
Cars should have monitoring devices similar to a tachograph but very basic.
Fine them for driving too many hours.

rob22888:

toby1234abc:
Do you think lorries limited to 50 to 52 mph are dangerous or not?

It’s not even remotely dangerous.

Don’t see how people can be caught out by them on a wide open motorway if they are paying attention. It’s hardly a massive speed difference FFS. Surely everybody knows what firms are the slow coaches… see the back doors of a Tesco/Argos/Wiseman etc. trailer in the distance and you prepare for an overtake.

Only 5-8%

I do wonder how some of you blokes manage in your cars that can reach speeds in excess of 70 mph I’m led to believe? Never go above 29mph myself…

DrivingMissDaisy:
I do wonder how some of you blokes manage in your cars that can reach speeds in excess of 70 mph I’m led to believe? Never go above 29mph myself…

bazstan009:

Terry T:
I think every truck should be required to be fitted with adaptive cruise control and be limited to the same speed. This would stop them creeping up on each other and also maintain a safe separation distance.

You could get them all set to same speed but as drive tyres wear so your speed will drop off, not to mention weight and gradient, so in the real world there will always be a speed differance.
A better idea maybe to put a driver in it. :slight_smile:

Which is why I said all trucks should be fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control. It uses radar sensors to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front.

tachograph:
even if it’s only ½mph

I still can’t understand why anyone who goes that much faster needs to overtake :unamused:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:
Which is why I said all trucks should be fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control. It uses radar sensors to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front.

I understand how it works but fail to see how it prevents the problem of elephant racing.

bazstan009:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

I understand how it works but fail to see how it prevents the problem of elephant racing.

Because you’ll never get close enough to the vehicle in front to attempt an overtake.

All the talk on this thread about limited speeds when actually on the DC’s where elephant racing is the biggest problem, none of us should be doing more than 50.

I’m not whiter than white myself, but the inconvenient fact is that if everyone obeyed the 50mph limit there would be no elephant racing at all, as everyone would have speed in reserve just in case (except the 50mph brigade of course). I’m surprised police officers that witness an elephant race on a DC don’t immediately pull over the driver who was in lane 2 and do him for speeding, because if your on the limiter that is usually exactly what your doing - it’s a giveaway.

:bulb:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

Because you’ll never get close enough to the vehicle in front to attempt an overtake.

So we have one long line of trucks in lane one doing 52?

Silver_Surfer:

Daytrunker:

G6Bob:
My companys trucks are limited to 50-52, passing slower trucks is few and far between for me, but I do have a million and 2 trucks flying past me. Occasionally I do get people crawling past me at 0.25 mph faster than me, which I don’t mind as I’d do the same, the thrill of a overtake eh!!!

What really F’s me off, is these morons in cars sitting at 48, you finally get a overtaking chance, pull out and they speed up to 51 or 53, then pull back in and they slow back down to 45… repeatedly. Some diddy driving along, no idea whats going on around them causing frustration and risky behaviour, leading to accidents. Not fact, just my opinion

+1 the second bit gets my goat that does no need for it had an old biddy in a saxo do it on the m6 coming down to Stafford

I appreciate the frustration but what really winds me up is the knobs that bully these poor biddy’s/veterans by sitting an inch from their rear bumper.

What if it was your mother or father in the car? By all means a bit of a flash or a small toot may be in order & they may absorb the message & make themselves safer but there’s no need for bullying people who are weaker/less able than you.

I agree there’s no need for bullying, as a sharp blast on the air horns generally wakes them up, but if they don’t adhere to the motorway rules the the motorway doesn’t work ! If they want to do 50, stay on the A roads !!!

bazstan009:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

Where did I say limit all trucks to 52 ?

gunnerheskey:
if they don’t adhere to the motorway rules the the motorway doesn’t work ! If they want to do 50, stay on the A roads !!!

I agree. There should be a minimum speed on motorways for cars and it should be above whatever we’re doing.

Terry T:

gunnerheskey:
if they don’t adhere to the motorway rules the the motorway doesn’t work ! If they want to do 50, stay on the A roads !!!

I agree. There should be a minimum speed on motorways for cars and it should be above whatever we’re doing.

No, there should be an additional licence you need in order to drive on a motorway where you have to pass a practical exam to show you are capable of driving on them and that you are aware of how other road users need to manoeuvre.

Out of interest, it would be interesting to see the stats for how many motorway accidents involve regular motorway users and infrequent road users.

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

bazstan009:

Terry T:

Where did I say limit all trucks to 52 ?

True you did not but still won’t work will it. Will reactive cruise prevent lane changing?

I think that the motoways work ok when you take into account the differing skill levels of users and the mix of uk and non uk vehicles.
The odd occasion when some one is being a pratt just needs to be delt with but that is driving.

bazstan009:
True you did not but still won’t work will it. Will reactive cruise prevent lane changing?

Just prevent HGVs from overtaking one another. Unless they’re STGO or cranes etc.

Joe public would love that, they’re always banging on about it.