driving

heres a question if u hold a class 2 licence can u drive a class 1 lorry without a trailer on. cheers

Yes - its the trailer that makes it class 1 - so no trailer and the Tractor Unit becomes rigid so class 2.

Rog

Quote me if Im wrong guys

But as far as I was concerned that the E part of the licence is for a trailer over 750kg

So i dont see an issue someone driving a class one lorry without the trailer

HarryMango:
Yes - its the trailer that makes it class 1 - so no trailer and the Tractor Unit becomes rigid so class 2.

Rog

The Unit on it’s own is a C :smiley: but although it physically weighs under 7.5 tonnes it cannot be driven on a C1 because the plated weight is over 7.5.

Swampey:

But as far as I was concerned that the E part of the licence is for a trailer over 750kg

Correct, a cat. C allows you to drive any rigid goods vehicle over 3.5t which is what a solo tractor unit is. Also, contrary to some beliefs there is no need to remove the fifth wheel, air lines etc. when doing so :smiley:

one guy told me you can’t - he said he was pulled and when the copper saw he was only cat C he said it’s not allowed on the basis he “could have been on the way to pick a trailer up, or have just dropped one”. i’m not really sure how much weight this holds, but i wouldn’t risk it personally

mrpj:

Swampey:

Correct, a cat. C allows you to drive any rigid goods vehicle over 3.5t which is what a solo tractor unit is. Also, contrary to some beliefs there is no need to remove the fifth wheel, air lines etc. when doing so :smiley:

I have heard that if you remove the fifth wheel you can drive a unit on a C1 licence - but it’s one of those “My Mate Told Me” stories.

smile!:
one guy told me you can’t - he said he was pulled and when the copper saw he was only cat C he said it’s not allowed on the basis he “could have been on the way to pick a trailer up, or have just dropped one”. i’m not really sure how much weight this holds, but i wouldn’t risk it personally

He was pulled WITHOUT the trailer - surely you would only need a CE licence if you’re actually towing?

smile!:

That copper obviously needs to learn the law, until a trailer is connected the vehicle is cat C.

Description of category C, weights refer to maximum authorised mass (MAM)

Vehicles over 3500kg with a trailer up to 750kg

that’s exactly what i thought too, unless the trailer is actually there then what is the problem…?

i don’t like getting into arguments with coppers though - you usually lose, even if you’re right

SuperLez:
I have heard that if you remove the fifth wheel you can drive a unit on a C1 licence - but it’s one of those “My Mate Told Me” stories.

Removing the fifth wheel doesn’t make any difference, for cat C1 it would need to have a mam of 7500kg or less

See here for proof.

SuperLez:

I’ve heard the same; IIRC the unit needs to be downplated (providing it’s under 7.5t) and part of this process involves removing the fifth wheel. I can’t see the logic myself but that’s what I’ve heard anyway :smiley:

mrpj:

SuperLez:

I’ve heard the same; IIRC the unit needs to be downplated (providing it’s under 7.5t) and part of this process involves removing the fifth wheel. I can’t see the logic myself but that’s what I’ve heard anyway :smiley:

Hmmm… I’ve seen C1+E artics so removing the fifth wheel plate does not seem to make sense, I am assuming that a C1+E combination has a maximum overall train weight and that if the unit was a downplated C unit, then the weight of the trailer would be very restricted.
The above probably does not make sense to anyone but me :unamused: :unamused:

ROG:
I am assuming that a C1+E combination has a maximum overall train weight and that if the unit was a downplated C unit, then the weight of the trailer would be very restricted.
The above probably does not make sense to anyone but me :unamused: :unamused:

I see what you’re saying, C1E has a max. weight of 12 tonnes so I’d agree that the trailer weight would be very restricted.

tachograph:
That copper obviously needs to learn the law, until a trailer is connected the vehicle is cat C.

Yeah That

Tachograph is right…this is a definitive answer and is correct in every way.

Anything over 7.5t and which doesn’t have a trailer on at the time is a cat C. The trailer itself (if over 750kg) provides the requirement for the “E” part of the driving entitlement.

I’d like to see how that copper tried to prosecute that one!! :laughing: :unamused:

smile!:

He’d have to catch you with the trailer, since the trailer is Cat “E.”

I have to agree with Shrek on this one.
A great defence question in Court would be “What evidence is there that the law was broken”?

IMHO, coulda, woulda shoulda wouldn’t cut it in this case.:grimacing:

tachograph:

Shouldn’t that “3” be a “7” for Cat “C” :question:
Or shouldn’t the “Cat” be C1 if the given weight is right :question:

I couldn’t PM that tachograph, cos Shrek had already quoted it (and missed it too.) :frowning:

dieseldave:

tachograph:

Shouldn’t that “3” be a “7” for Cat “C” :question:
Or shouldn’t the “Cat” be C1 if the given weight is right :question:

I couldn’t PM that tachograph, cos Shrek had already quoted it (and missed it too.) :frowning:

Not according to this :wink:

The point to remember is that C1 is a sub-category of C not a separate one ie C is anything over 3.5t, C1 is anything over 3.5t but limited to 7.5t.

More on the C1E debate - have heard that the towing vehicle must weigh more than the trailer - but don’t quote me for sure.

This appears to mean that if the unit is the lighter part, then a CE would be needed to drive it. Can’t see the point of this exercise.