Driving Licence Issue Number

I have 99. No idea how many licences I have had, not really interested.

And i dont believe any of it either…mine is 03…yet i am 72, have renewed it so many times, have changed address a few times…and i have to renew every year since aged 65…so its all totally wrong…and i i dont give a ■■■■…but it is totally wrong that i`ve only got a 3…ha ha

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithm

An informal definition could be “a set of rules that precisely defines a sequence of operations.”[18] which would include all computer programs, including programs that do not perform numeric calculations. Generally, a program is only an algorithm if it stops eventually

It could be just like a check digit on TEU shipping equipment. A random number. If our name is Smith your driver number would be SMITH******
What happens if there are five Smiths who share a birthday?

yourhavingalarf:
Incidentally, I’ve noticed mine says cat A motor cycle licence. I’ve never taken a bike test in my life. Why does my licence appear to say I have?

Does it say code 79 (3) in section 12 ?

If so (like mine) then code 79 (3) means you are restricted to tricycles

Wheel Nut 3:
It could be just like a check digit on TEU shipping equipment. A random number. If our name is Smith your driver number would be SMITH******

Wouldn’t the last 5 digits take care of that though, what are the chances of someone having the same surname, birth date AND fore and middle initials and then the randomly generated last three (or four if you do not have a middle initial)

I cannot work out why my issue No is 20 when I’m reasonably confident it’s been updated less than 10 times and did this even apply to paper licences (or booklets for the really old gits?) or is this a photocard only thing?

Reef:

Wheel Nut 3:

Wouldn’t the last 5 digits take care of that though, what are the chances of someone having the same surname, birth date AND fore and middle initials and then the randomly generated last three (or four if you do not have a middle initial)

I cannot work out why my issue No is 20 when I’m reasonably confident it’s been updated less than 10 times and did this even apply to paper licences (or booklets for the really old gits?) or is this a photocard only thing?

On my original licence it appears as Roman numerals. It’s in ink made from wode written on velum.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

From the horse’s mouth today, the issue number is random when are get issued your first licence, each subsequent re-issue it goes up one.

Wheel Nut 3:

I’m sure they is a number in the licence regarding how many of the same names they is, mine ends in 9AV and the 9 has nothing to do with my date of birth etc…

Saying that it’s what we got told in a CPC course a few years ago so could be complete tosh!

Juddian:
From the horse’s mouth today, the issue number is random when are get issued your first licence, each subsequent re-issue it goes up one.

:wink: :smiley:

yt03:

Wheel Nut 3:

I’m sure they is a number in the licence regarding how many of the same names they is, mine ends in 9AV and the 9 has nothing to do with my date of birth etc…

Saying that it’s what we got told in a CPC course a few years ago so could be complete tosh!

What you were told is correct, they separate/identify licence holders who share the same name and date of birth.

My issue no box is blank!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

My last 5 alphanumeric are my initials and it ends UK [emoji636] thought they all did [emoji23]

Juddian:

yt03:

Wheel Nut 3:

What you were told is correct, they separate/identify licence holders who share the same name and date of birth.

Think I said this, early in this thread… :open_mouth:

I’m on 36, if I’m looking at the right number, #5 after your licence number?

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

My issue number is 78

From my understanding each number means a different thing. I.e. 16
1 meaning one thing
6 meaning something different

I will try to look into it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

biggriffin:

Juddian:

yt03:

Wheel Nut 3:

Think I said this, early in this thread… :open_mouth:

I think you did and were told you were talking bullocks

No one has come up with anything better so far [emoji23]

The last 5 of a licence are the first letters from 2 fore names, 9 shows first person with same names & Date of Birth, if a 2nd person applies they get 8. (I’ve seen s few 8’s and odd 7)
Last 2 are part of a mathematical calculation for when checks are done, to prevent forged licences

If a person only has 1 fore name such as David their last 5 would start D99■■

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk