Driving jobs - on the up?

Recently there seems to be a lot more posts from new drivers getting work. There also seems to be less about the difficulties in getting a start as a newbie.

Does the panel think: Is this just a seasonal blip or are things actually improving out there?

Well if it’s a start they’re getting with an agency unfortunately it could be the fact that a lot of drivers will be on holiday because we’re in the middle of the school holidays, but if its a start on a company’s books then that’s great news.

Around here currently the agency work is through the roof,i personally think this is just the summer peak for holiday cover, it will be a very different story in October/November, as for the christmas rush , that never really occurred around these parts last year. There are very few full time perm jobs advertised , only 3 or 4 in my locality from some very dubious multiple re-advertiser/revolving door employers this week, with the wages on a downward trajectory at every re-advertisement. :frowning:

Having had over 24 interviews myself in the last 8 months, the quality of work just is not there anymore every job i have been for are either very poorly paid (even by truck driver standards), ridiculous 5 over 7 mega shifts, silly o clock starts or a combination.

I have turned my back on general haulage ,i have no interest in nights out , 15 hour spreads ,or 2- 3 am starts. I have a second interview with a local utilites/plant hire firm next monday morning driving a puddlejumper/trailer HIAB combo,whilst covering an 8 wheel clamshell grab truck doing own account deliveries and collections, its mon-fri 7am till 5pm with odd early starts and late finish paid overtime, no weekend working, no bank holiday working, permanent (non agency) 20 mins up the road from me , it pays more than Stobarts and i get my life back.