Drivers Medical

Hi all,

going to book my medical this week, but wanted some insight into what exactly is involved. Have never had a medical before and am worried I’m going to fail. Is it hard to pass and what do they check?

:slight_smile:

Mobility, eyesight, blood pressure and they get you to ■■■■ in a bottle to see if your aim is good enough to do nights out. There really isn’t much to it and if you can walk into the surgery without tripping over anything or having a heart attack you will sail through it.

You may have a heart attack when they hit you with the bill but that is a separate issue. :wink: :smiley:

Don’t know where you’re planning on having the medical but a read of these two threads may be beneficial to your health and wallet.

Read first
Read the [u]cheap medicals thread[/u] second

Thanks for the input chaps. Had planned on seeing Dr Hill off the cheap medicals list as he’s sort ot the closest to me(midlands based).

Will see how quickly i can get this done.

:smiley:

Got laid off at Work yesterday, which was a really nice Christmas present, and has prompted me to get this thing moving.

Do you guys recomend doing class c first, then gaining some experience working before taking the C+E? or get it all done in one go■■? :smiley:

ohms:
Got laid off at Work yesterday, which was a really nice Christmas present, and has prompted me to get this thing moving.

Do you guys recomend doing class c first, then gaining some experience working before taking the C+E? or get it all done in one go■■? :smiley:

If you mean putting in for the C+E immediately after passing the C test, I think I would tend to recommend getting some class C experience before putting in for the C+E, it’s expensive these days and as presumably you’ve no experience you don’t really know if driving is for you until you’ve tried it, but I guess it really depends on funds.

Having said that there are driving instructors on this site who may be in a better position to answer the question :wink:

ohms:
Thanks for the input chaps. Had planned on seeing Dr Hill off the cheap medicals list as he’s sort ot the closest to me(midlands based).

Will see how quickly i can get this done.

:smiley:

Good choice

Doc Hill is a sound bloke. He does most of our drivers medicals, and a mate who comes down from Warrington, to have his done.
Our old man goes to him every year, and he’s 76 now.

You’ll have no problems with him.

If you see him at Wolverhampton, it may be at the premises of Central Transport Training, in Foxes Lane.
You can pick up some driver training course info at the same time, kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.

" it may be at the premises of Central Transport Training,"

Yep and there’s a coffee machine and clean loo’s too
in the porta’cabing complex @CTT :wink:

Regards 2xQ

I did C and CE in one go, but I had the funds available to do so. If you do have a break in between don’t leave it too long else you’ll either have greater expense or more bad habits to iron out.

If you have the funds you could do some bartering to get the price down for the two blocks of training, but the flip side of that is if find you don’t like the place…

excellent thanks for the help and advice people. I suppose the next question is, can anybody recomend a decent HGV training centre in or around Shropshire or the Staffordshire region? really want to get something moving quickly! Got the funds to do it all in one go, so may take this option, just want to make sure I get dedcent training to ensure I don’t waste my cash!!:slight_smile:

if this helps I had my medical with Dr Hill on a saturday morning it was in an agency office in wolverhampton iirc

and as for training I can heartilly reccomend A1 training
www.a1traininggroup.co.uk
I did my class 2 with A1 training in Birmingham back in late november, the instructors were great, and the ERF trucks they used were in good nick

I did a 7 day course with them and it was around the £1100 mark

If you’ve got the funds then I would advice you to get get C+E out of the way as soon as is practically possible after cat C. I wish I did the the same but chose to go off on holiday in the summer.
[/quote]

Andydisco:
if this helps I had my medical with Dr Hill on a saturday morning it was in an agency office in wolverhampton iirc

That would be
Temper Recruitment,
482 Stafford Road
Wolverhampton West Midlands WV10 6AN

He was consulting at CCT, Foxes Lane too, but I cant be sure if he still is. I will contact Mary at CCT in the new year to find out, and update the Drivers Medicals thread.

Well, it’s been over 3 weeks now since I completed and passed the medical with DR Hill and sent off all of the forms and my own license for the provisional.

I thought it might have been a bit slow with the backlog from Christmas, but gave the DVLA a call today to find out what the hold up is. Apparently my application is with the medical team, whatever that means and when i asked if all HGV provisional applications go to the medical team, i was informed that they don’t.

So why has mine been held up and why has it ended up for scrutiny with the medical team?? :cry:

Any ideas and is this a bad sign? As i say, the medical was all normal.

ohms:
So why has mine been held up and why has it ended up for scrutiny with the medical team?? :cry:

Possibly random forms are sent to the medical team for double checking to make sure you haven’t slipped the Doc a crate of beer, a bottle of Scotch or 200 ■■■■ to give you a clean bill of health when actually you are at deaths door. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: Just a thought.

So why has mine been held up and why has it ended up for scrutiny with the medical team??

I’ll try and find you the direct tel. no. for the medical section who will be able to answer your question.

LOL @ coffeholic!

Cheers Rog, that would be great. :smiley:

ROG:

So why has mine been held up and why has it ended up for scrutiny with the medical team??

I’ll try and find you the direct tel. no. for the medical section who will be able to answer your question.

DVLA - Drivers and Vehicle Licensing Agency Medical Line
Drivers Medical Branch, DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1TU
Telephone: 0870 6000 301
Email: eftd@dvla.gsi.gov.uk

DVLA - 01792 782341

Driver Medical team tell me about them even if you do phone the medical section they wont be able to tell you any thing

I have been waiting for my license to come back for a while now