Driverless cars - Lorries next?

The logical next big step. Truck drivers these days often do little more than steer their trucks from A to B. Now the cream cakes can be loaded, the vehicle checked by a mechanic, and the truck sent off to the RDC without even a steering wheel attendant.

Maybe the first place it could be used would be on shunting operations - machines often work without operators in factories, so why not a shunter under the control of a spotty yoof in the office.

Plan for the future guys - you are about to be replaced by a machine.

Yes, personally I would be surprised if trucks were still operated by drivers in 50 years time, the technology already exists for driverless trucks. Not that I’ll be bothered because I’ll be pushing up the daisies long before then. :wink:

Watch terminator! It don’t end well for us humans, be warned!

I don’t like it. I love driving and I don’t like the thought of the car/truck having control. :open_mouth:

It’ll be interesting to see if these driverless vehicles really do have fewer accidents. I suspect somehow, they will, as computers don’t make mistakes.

Snudger:
It’ll be interesting to see if these driverless vehicles really do have fewer accidents. I suspect somehow, they will, as computers don’t make mistakes.

Unfortunately computers are programmed by humans and the software is written by humans too, and they do make mistakes :frowning:

i bet it can’t tie a dolly. :laughing:

Seriously, I long to be able to hand over to an autopilot trunking up and down the M6/M74/A1(M) when my boredom threshold is seriously challenged, so I could do something interesting like read a book, watch a vid… Otherwise I prefer to be hands on.

gardun:

Snudger:

Unfortunately computers are programmed by humans and the software is written by humans too, and they do make mistakes :frowning:

That’s sort of what I was getting at, though admittedly without an irony smiley (if such a thing exists). If we can only remove the “to err is human” factor, travel should be a lot less interesting IYKWIM. A “benevolent” terminator to do the programming too does sound a step too far and there will always be human input somewhere along the road, so to speak. As we know from those films though, machines can’t be bargained with, can’t be reasoned with, don’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, (except at a red light).

chicane:
Seriously, I long to be able to hand over to an autopilot trunking up and down the M6/M74/A1(M) when my boredom threshold is seriously challenged, so I could do something interesting like read a book, watch a vid… Otherwise I prefer to be hands on.

You can get up and have a quick stretch around the cab on a straight bit of road with cruise control on and nothing around already can’t you? :laughing: (Jest warning there).

Some of the technology that would be utilised is already in service today. Sensors to keep your distance from the vehicle in front, applying brakes when you get too close.

Warning systems that tell you when you’re too close but most people seem to like tailgating so would probably switch that one off.

Lane adherence systems, to prevent you from changing lanes.

I would certainly expect cars to reach that stage where they want to be driverless, where the driver, like Michael Knight could perhaps be doing paperwork or ‘other things’ whilst sat behind the wheel not needing to be actually driving.

However, for PCV and LGVs I would expect the driver to be retained. Manoeuvring a truck, especially an artic is harder than the car. OK, with PCVs that stick to a particular route, they could be automated somewhat.

But how would an automated truck react when some BMW driver decided to go from the O/S to N/S lane to take that exit where the slip has already started. By use of the above systems mentioned the truck would probably slam on the anchors, using the horn and the hazards and the wave effect would start, assuming no one hit him up the back end.

I would think it is more possible that before driverless trucks came along the rules and regs would be changed so that that double trailers could be used, although I guess at this point in time if they had lower slung and lower height trailers they could be used during windy weather.

I have seen plenty of quite tight and really tight delivery areas and would think that with a computer doing it you would need sensors on the trailer’s four corners as well as the actual unit too, then of course there are those where you have people walking around the truck pulling out or reversing back. Safety would dictate that the vehicle stops and would probably never get going.

Nearby they are dismantling a long term construction yard and they had about 10 flatbeds waiting for loads down a side road and when it came to load them up the trailers had to reverse out of the side road, down the main road, and then at a tight U and then an S to get into the yard because of where everything was laid out. Leaving was easier but on the road even with hivis yellow bods standing in each lane of the road on either side to stop the traffic and some on the pavement too, people still tried to walk in front of or behind the truck and drivers pass those standing in the road by pushing the yellow bods out of the way. This stopped when those yellow bods started carrying ‘some large tools’ with them. Clearly being construction people in hivis I am sure they were allowed to be carrying a 4ft long hammer, right?

I think it’ll take some time before truckers are completely replaced. A regular trunk run on the same route with sizeable yards at either end would be the first to go. Then again, if you had a truck driven by a computer without any need to observe driver hours, do you think the managers would be so keen to have these expensive vehicles sitting idle at the RDCs waiting to be tipped? Or how about parking up overnight? The truck would probably be more valuable than the cargo? Parking in lay bys could be a thing of the past. Even more if they didn’t need breaks :smiley:

I think I’m safe for the next 40 years of driving. I’d be more concerned about running out of fuel to run these vehicles but I think the other post I made last night about the possibility of non diesel trucks would be more of a sooner possibility.

can it unload itself at lidl,netto or aldi :question:
whats the point of a driverless car,its the driver that wants to go somewhere not the car :smiley:

can it chalk itself off, and talk [zb] on a ferry?
no. so it won’t work.

limeyphil:
can it chalk itself off, and talk [zb] on a ferry?
no. so it won’t work.

LMBFAO. No hint of irony. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Snudger:

They go wrong but not as often as that sub-species, the driver!

green456:
can it unload itself at lidl,netto or aldi :question:

No, but ultimately it would be cheaper to employ somebody for the 30 minutes it would take to unload a trailer at Lidl etc than to pay a driver for the eight hours it took to drive there.

And look at the fortunes these rdcs would save by eliminating visiting drivers facilities!

You are all missing the true conclusion, Don’t you watch Star Trek… those 26 pallets of whatever will be beamed up from the factory to the RDC and then split down by machines, orders collated, and then beamed direct to people’s homes, this will all be done when an RFID scan is done automatically in the food storage area at home to determine what has been used in the previous 7 days, your computer then sends the order to your preferred supplier and hey presto… it appears… so no big nasty smelly trucks, no supermarket car parks full of chariots… and best of all, we get more time to spend with… THE CHILDREN…

NURSE, NURSE, NURSE, More medication please

I think you’ll see driverless commercial vehicles before loads of driversless cars. People buy cars on many levels pratical and emotional, they might be releuctant to give up what they see as control fo their vehicle to a computer.

But commercial vehicles are run by businesses and for the big companies it’s all about reducing costs and increasing profits, it doesn’t really bother them on how many, so called professional drivers this might actually put out of work as long as the shareholders are getting a return.

Of course our leaders would love us to all have computer driven cars, it would give them even more control over our lives. Althoughthe technology interests me I wonder when the people of the developed World are going to wake and realise they are getting subject to ever more surveilence and control by those in power. Of course it’s done in a clever way by playing on our fears of terrorism and crime, because of course we must think of the children. :smiley:

Trukkertone:
You are all missing the true conclusion, Don’t you watch Star Trek… those 26 pallets of whatever will be beamed up from the factory to the RDC and then split down by machines, orders collated, and then beamed direct to people’s homes, this will all be done when an RFID scan is done automatically in the food storage area at home to determine what has been used in the previous 7 days, your computer then sends the order to your preferred supplier and hey presto… it appears… so no big nasty smelly trucks, no supermarket car parks full of chariots… and best of all, we get more time to spend with… THE CHILDREN… /quote]
have you applied for a patent on your idea :question: