Driver CPC Exemptions

Firstly thanks for signing me up, had to reinvent myself after forgetting previous login here. I’m looking for your thoughts on the following regarding the delightful CPC.

After a lot of research it’s still unsure of the correct answer on a couple of things regarding CPC Exemptions so maybe someone may have experienced the same and knows the answer the the following;
1 - Does driver of an Artic need a CPC if trailer contains own goods (Specifically trailer contains built in outdoor TV screen that comes up out of the roof)
2 - If said trailer has been delivered and driver is returning to depot in just tractor unit do they need a CPC.

Thanks in advance for any assistance clearing this one up.
Phill

If the driver’s main duty is driving, then yes.

For instance: council bod on the gritters, needs a Driver CPC because the main job is driving the gritter around.

Scaffolder whose main job is erecting/tearing down scaffolding but drives the truck which delivers and collect the scaffolding and has the tools etc on board does not because his main job is the scaffolding, and the truck just carries tools and materials.

So, unless the driver of the truck is appearing on the television or working the equipment as his main job, I’d say, yes!

DefenderWales:
After a lot of research it’s still unsure of the correct answer on a couple of things regarding CPC Exemptions so maybe someone may have experienced the same and knows the answer the the following;
1 - Does driver of an Artic need a CPC if trailer contains own goods (Specifically trailer contains built in outdoor TV screen that comes up out of the roof)
2 - If said trailer has been delivered and driver is returning to depot in just tractor unit do they need a CPC.

1. If operating/using the TV screen is the main job of the driver he/she may be exempt from the DCPC.
    However if driving is the drivers main job, for instance if you deliver a trailer to a site then go back to deliver another one or do another journey for whatever reason, the a DCPC is required.
  2. Yes a DCPC would be required in those circumstances.

DCPC is worth doing anyway if you go to a decent place, treat it with the appropriate attitude and choose a decent set of modules. EU Drivers Hours, First Aid, Adverse Weather and Economical Driving are some worthwhile doing.

Conor:
DCPC is worth doing anyway if you go to a decent place, treat it with the appropriate attitude and choose a decent set of modules. EU Drivers Hours, First Aid, Adverse Weather and Economical Driving are some worthwhile doing.

Hi Conor,
I liked your reply, I have planed to stop “at long last” but have been asked if I would “do the odd day”, I only do a Sunday shift now having retired 10 years ago, So; next year I will need to do 5 days training at a cost of about £500 for the odd day, is that correct or can it be avoided. Harvey

HRS:

Conor:

Hi Conor,
I liked your reply, I have planed to stop “at long last” but have been asked if I would “do the odd day”, I only do a Sunday shift now having retired 10 years ago, So; next year I will need to do 5 days training at a cost of about £500 for the odd day, is that correct or can it be avoided. Harvey

If your old company want to keep you as a trusted and reliable driver wouldnt they pay for it? If they dont, then how many days would you need to work to pay for the right to go to work for them?

HRS:
I have planed to stop “at long last” but have been asked if I would “do the odd day”, I only do a Sunday shift now having retired 10 years ago, So; next year I will need to do 5 days training at a cost of about £500 for the odd day, is that correct or can it be avoided.

Unless you’re doing work that’s exempt there’s no way of not doing the 35 hours periodic training I’m afraid, if you shop around you may be able to find it quite a bit cheaper than £500 though.

HRS:
Hi Conor,

You can get it for less, I paid £360. You can also claim it as a tax deductible expense, along with the mileage to get there and back, and get a partial refund from HMRC if your income is enough to pay income tax on at least £360 of what you earn. You would work mileage out at 45p per mile, add that to the cost of the course and put in a claim for that value using a P87 Expenses in Employment form. HMRC will then refund 20%/40% of that claim depending on what tax you pay on your income.

Big thank you to Conor, Tachograph and Franglais.
I work for a company called Mc Burneys from Cairnryan as a casual driver and at £7.98 hour just over 7 shifts to recover the £500 but to get it for about &350 60 ish would make it a little better, thanks for that.
Also sounds good i could get some of the expenses back, it all helps eh !.
The company only cover CPC for full time drivers its very much a “take it, or leave it thing” and I dont have a problem with that, if they dont make money, no drivers !!! and they have rent or mortgages to find.
Thanks all for your help, Harvey