Driven Opticruise?

Just out of interest, anyone trained on a Scania 3 pedal Opticruise? Or driven one early on in their career? I’m just curious as to whether you found it easy or a bit confusing.

Thanks for your input. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

was the 1st so called automatic truck I drove, and had another brand new one last year I like the clutch idea good for reversing and trailer coupling just have to remember it when you come to a stop.

Yep I did a couple days for UK mail

As I had driven a manual & fully auto when I got in this thought at 1st it was manual as had the 3 pedals then looked at gear leaver to find it was not

I drove this from Team Vally in Gateshead to York ( well had a York post code but was well past there )

Drove out the gates ok then hit the roundabout & yep I stalled why :question: hadn’t put foot on clutch :blush: :blush: but soon got used to it after that found it quite easy to drive

It did feel a it strange having to remember when stopping to put foot on clutch or not to put foot on clutch when trying to change gear ( but was used to manual )

I also drove an Iveco like this

First truck I drove after a tga auto was an R series Scania, like all autos it sometimes doesn’t have the gear you want and it can be a bit jerky but overall it’s fine. I quite easily adjust to using the clutch only to stop/start, only once or twice I forget to use it when stopping as all the other trucks are i-shift or full manual. We’ve only got one opti cruise in our yard at the moment but used to have about 10-15. Overall I’m not keen on the half auto/manual combo either full auto or full manual for me.

Peter ,

Assume you may be asking because this would be classed as a manual for test purposes ■■?

Yes, it’s classed as a manual for driving test. Have no intention of having one, just very curious. (No hidden agenda - just nosey!) Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Can’t believe they class it as a manual for test. I got a 3 pedal Opti in June last year having driven only conventional manuals for years, had to drive a normal manual at the end of August and got in right muddle to start with. OK it didn’t take long to get back in the swing of it again but I did have the benefit of a few years experience, I just couldn’t get over how busy I used to be changing gears all the time.

If you learnt on an Opti you’d be in for a massive shock if presented with a manual box.

Out of interest, is an Actros with either the EPS or Telligent gearboxes classed as a manual for training/test purposes?

Both have clutch pedals and gear levers (sort of), but don’t expose the splitter/range change to the driver.

If it’s got a clutch, then for driving test purposes, it’s a manual. So yes, Telligent and EPS are both manual. I trained someone on EPS in the eighties and they were given an auto licence. After loads of discussion, it was changed to manual.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It was a little different as I was driving on a mixed fleet which were mostly fully manual so occasional forays in the Scania did sometimes cause confusion.

We had some ex stobart hire units over christmas, easy enough but like others have mentioned don’t forget to put the clutch down when coming to a stop as I would sometimes do being used to fully automated.

8wheels:
Can’t believe they class it as a manual for test. I got a 3 pedal Opti in June last year having driven only conventional manuals for years, had to drive a normal manual at the end of August and got in right muddle to start with. OK it didn’t take long to get back in the swing of it again but I did have the benefit of a few years experience, I just couldn’t get over how busy I used to be changing gears all the time.

If you learnt on an Opti you’d be in for a massive shock if presented with a manual box.

Couldnt agree anymore.

I dont mind these , easy enough , but sometimes forget clutch when coming to a stop but the shaking of veh soon reminds you to put clutch down :laughing: mind you if using this to pass test then have to go into a job with a manual gearbox I do think it would be a learning curve , think the best way to train is on manual gearbox then you have the skills to drive anything :bulb:

jx

Jennie:
I dont mind these , easy enough , but sometimes forget clutch when coming to a stop but the shaking of veh soon reminds you to put clutch down :laughing: mind you if using this to pass test then have to go into a job with a manual gearbox I do think it would be a learning curve , think the best way to train is on manual gearbox then you have the skills to drive anything :bulb:

jx

Thats why im a bit dubious about doing my training with it.Apparently its got flappy paddles on the steering wheel,so you can still learn to go through the gears just not using the gear stick.