disciplinary

dieseldave:

Evil8Beezle:
I’ve been given a unit before for an ADR run that had a cable tie on the fire extinguisher box as the normal clip was broken.
All I did was chuck another one from the stores in the cab, job done.

As Top Dave says, it needs to be easily accessible, not sure if being in the cab satisfies that though? :open_mouth:

P.S. That makes you “Bottom Dave” Mr Dipper! :smiley:

This is gonna sound terrible, no mater which way I try to say this… :blush: :blush:

The vehicle crew’s place of work is in the vehicle cab, so that means that it’s accessible to him/them. (Sorry)

:bulb: I hope the extinguisher from the stores wasn’t just chucked on the floor of the passenger side so it could roll around. :wink:
I thought I’d mention that before somebody else does. :grimacing:

The extinguisher may have been in the passenger footwell. :blush: But it wasn’t rattling around, I wedged it with the ADR kitbag, as otherwise it would have done my head in! :smiley: But what’s the problem if it was rolling around a bit, it’s got a safety pin, and I’d have thought the agitation would have ensured the powder wasn’t consolidated in the bottom of the cylinder.

As for the accessibility, are you saying that it has to be accessible for anyone? If so, I do agree, but u know how it is, you need to crack on and get the job done… But on that point, I’ve had a disagreement with a supervisor before when I continued to defect an ADR vehicle on the grounds that one of the extinguishers was in an unmarked locker, and as such, other than myself, no one would know to look in there for it. Not much help to me if I’m unconscious and someone else need to put out a fire. Which I guess is your point… (And mine to the supervisor!)

greatdane:
thanks for all the replys
They followed procedure and asked If i wanted somebody in and said yes!..he was going to be routed local as I am on monday
we are near Leeds I have one drop Teeside they have given the other driver isle of wight ■■? somehow I don’t think he will be back
I am going down the route of hands up guilty ! but don’t ask for any favours and my next night out maybe the fire ex will vanish !!
Time to get job hunting

The disciplinary process is designed to be “corrective” not “punitive”. As you say go in there hold your hands up, say sorry, yes sir, no sir and you might be surprised. Just roll with it and see how it goes.
Also remember that you have the right to appeal, both the decision if you don’t agree but you will need to say why. Looking at the other posts I expect that is doubtful but you can also appeal the sanction if you feel it is unduly harsh. Point out your previous good conduct, long shift and reduced rest etc and you may get benefit of the doubt.
Good luck!

Rjan:
… Of course, the extinguishers do not by ADR have to be easily accessible to the general public, …

Spot-on Rjan. :smiley:

The exact wording from ADR is in my post above and specifically says “accessible to the vehicle crew,” so that’s the minimum requirement.

However, if a fire-extinguisher is accessible to anybody else, it could get stolen.

:bulb: Lock both of the extinguishers in the cab when on a night out, then replace the larger one back in the external box next morning whilst doing daily checks before setting off. Sorted!!

Evil8Beezle:

dieseldave:

Evil8Beezle:
I’ve been given a unit before for an ADR run that had a cable tie on the fire extinguisher box as the normal clip was broken.
All I did was chuck another one from the stores in the cab, job done.

As Top Dave says, it needs to be easily accessible, not sure if being in the cab satisfies that though? :open_mouth:

P.S. That makes you “Bottom Dave” Mr Dipper! :smiley:

This is gonna sound terrible, no mater which way I try to say this… :blush: :blush:

The vehicle crew’s place of work is in the vehicle cab, so that means that it’s accessible to him/them. (Sorry)

:bulb: I hope the extinguisher from the stores wasn’t just chucked on the floor of the passenger side so it could roll around. :wink:
I thought I’d mention that before somebody else does. :grimacing:

The extinguisher may have been in the passenger footwell. :blush: But it wasn’t rattling around, I wedged it with the ADR kitbag, as otherwise it would have done my head in! :smiley: But what’s the problem if it was rolling around a bit, it’s got a safety pin, and I’d have thought the agitation would have ensured the powder wasn’t consolidated in the bottom of the cylinder.

As for the accessibility, are you saying that it has to be accessible for anyone? If so, I do agree, but u know how it is, you need to crack on and get the job done… But on that point, I’ve had a disagreement with a supervisor before when I continued to defect an ADR vehicle on the grounds that one of the extinguishers was in an unmarked locker, and as such, other than myself, no one would know to look in there for it. Not much help to me if I’m unconscious and someone else need to put out a fire. Which I guess is your point… (And mine to the supervisor!)

If it’s rolling around, it counts as insecure and can be dangerous in the event of a collision.

There’s no ADR requirement for a fire-extinguisher box to be marked, it’s just that the actual requirements need to be complied with.

:bulb: Actually, in this case, common sense has a higher requirement than ADR. :smiley:

dieseldave:
:bulb: Lock both of the extinguishers in the cab when on a night out, then replace the larger one back in the external box next morning whilst doing daily checks before setting off. Sorted!!

Ooooor. Here’s a wild idea, you put a lock on the extinguisher box overnight to stop the scrotes from stealing it.

Then in the morning, regardless of current weather conditions, you take it off and carry on your way and not get a disciplinary on your return :wink:

#justsaying

At regular intervals you should take your extinguishers out, check the pressure and shake them by inverting them a number of times to stop the powder consolidating at the bottom. If you don’t, I’m told that they don’t work as effectively if/when needed.

I’m not sure how often you should do this though, or how quickly the powder settles.
If it consolidates in a matter of hours I guess it’s just a case of giving it a few inverts while you toast your marshmallows! :smiley: