Disability and hgv driving schools

I have a few things ticked off my list.

I have my medical done and passed. I have my hazard perception and theory test passed also.

Now for the hard part. Im looking for a driving school that will take me. The problem is im ever so slightly paralysed on my right hand side. I drive an automatic van with the gas peddle switched to the left. It can also be in the normal position for my wife to drive it also. I also have a blue tooth hand control for indicators etc. It is detachable with one press of a button. The steering wheel will not be locked in one position. Any drver can also use the vehicle.

So my new learned friends, any help recommendations also advice will be very much appreciated

Oh i have 7.5 tonne on my license and have in the past driven them for about 5 years on and off

Lee

No point asking on here, you need to speak to a/the driving school to see if they can/will accomodate you. I donā€™t know what DVSA say about this. First thing will be seeing certain codes on your licence for these modified controls.

The dvla and dvsa are actually working with me on this although they cannot advise me of what school to use. I will literally drive to anywhere in the country.

They are aware of the adaptions i need as i have them on my car.

I would start off with a job offer first!
Good luck to you.

No, they wonā€™t endorse any one provider, that would be well out of order.
Iā€™d suggest you start phoning around to make appointments to speak to driving schools.

There used to be a list of schools available which had been tried by TN members, @rog is that still available? It could be very out of date potentially, schools close and new ones open, and several have scaled back their activities under the current economic situation.

Peter Smythe Transport Training is one who sponsors TN, you could do a lot worse than start there, they offer a ā€œresidential optionā€ for those that might want it.

1 Like

ROG no longer using trucknetuk site as not managing to negotiate new forum

Alas poor Rog, I knew him Horatioā€¦

[quote=ā€œzac_aā€]

There used to be a list of schools available which had been tried by TN members, @rog is that still available? It could be very out of date potentially, schools close and new ones open, and several have scaled back their activities under the current economic situation. [/quote]

Iā€™m afraid that the list you mention was ā€˜lostā€™ in the move from the ā€˜oldā€™ TN to this new Discourse platform.

However, now that this has been flagged upā€¦ There may be a way to get that post resurrected and on this forum.

I will commence enquiries, but I must caution that it will not be quick.

Leave it with me, and Iā€™ll update this when I know something.

It would probably need massively updating I expect, Tockwith morphed into a newer outfit and Ritchies have recently gone, thereā€™ll be many others too no doubt.

sounds like you want to be asking around, dosnt strike me as a modification many schools would even think of, but i happpily be proven wrong.

it kinda comes down to is a potential employer likely to take a vehicle off the road to modify it, and how capable are you of other stuff, eg. coupling/uncouplign strapping ect, all requirments for the various tests and beyond depending how willing employers are to adjust .

As I understand it, there are obligations on employers to make reasonable adaptations in the workplace for disabled employees.

If drivers have a dedicated vehicle? Probably OK.
What if drivers all move between vehicles every shift?
If any vehicle mod is easily transferable between vehicles that may be one thing, but if not, then fitting mods to a whole fleet may not be so reasonable.

Schools are businesses and they too have obligations about access by their clients, ie student drivers.
Depending on the cost of any mods needed what is reasonable, I wouldnā€™t start to guess.

To get the best outcome for @Lee2 I would say talk to schools. Some may be all up for it, some may not. Go and see the keen ones in person.

1 Like

Went to a school today. Made sure i could get in the cab and change the lines etc. Im strong as an ox, not much i cant do.

The recommendations in that topic all came from TN members who posted about their experience with a particular driver training provider with whom theyā€™d done their driver trainingā€¦

There never was any attempt by TN at updating the list because that would have needed significant time from our volunteer team. For that reason, the premise for that topic was that the list gave people a list of names as a clue to where a member had received a good service at a reasonable price.

There was also a couple of suitable caveats, one of which was that the prospective trainee should visit the provider(s) and ask to see the vehicles and instructors before making a decision invloving a significant sum of their money as an attempt to encourage folk to not go with the first ā€˜brokerā€™ who showed up in a bunch of returns found by using a search engine.

Hereā€™s the list of driver training providers recommended by TN members:

https://www.trucknetuk.com/t/driver-training-providers-recommended-by-tn-members/238815/3

1 Like